The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
It looked to me like it hit right on the front corner/edge of he wall; that's why it bounced back on the field. But is the yellow line in or out? I would think the ball has to go over the line to be a HR?
YU.P.
"A fly ball hits the top of the left-center field fence and bounds into the grandstand: homerun." - Rules of Professional Baseball
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Ok, I'm the first to admit that Manny should be running hard out of the box. But that ball was a HR. Buck and McCarver said they couldn't tell, even on replay, but that's BS. It was gone.

Actually, it was a 400' single. But who cares? There's always the next AB. It's not like it's the end of the world.

Manny being Manny. How many times have we heard that one?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Seems like Beckett gets "behind" on purpose. Gets to 3-0, or 3-1 pretty early quite often. Isn't that against orthodoxy?
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
You got your wish. It's going back to Boston. Beckett was awesome.

This will be fun. I think that Cleveland still has an edge, but Boston now has a realistic chance. The pitchers for Boston in games 6 and 7 don't inspire the confidence that Beckett does.

It will be a good weekend.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Oct 18, 2007 at 11:34pm.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic
We should just skip game 5 then.

Have you checked the starters for Game 5? I wouldn't discount CCs ability to win this game. And I believe he's on full rest too.
I hate to say "I told you so". Actually, I don't hate to say it at all. Enjoy the flight to Boston.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hate to say "I told you so". Actually, I don't hate to say it at all. Enjoy the flight to Boston.
What else were you going to say? I would have enjoyed telling you the same thing if tonight worked out the way I envisioned.

Best pitcher won. Everything went right for the sox and nothing went right for the tribe. Funny how that stuff seems to turn on a dime.

Oh well, here we come Chuck. See you Saturday.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

So let me get this straight....

The Indians flew in from Boston (or somewhere else) the opposing starting pitcher's ex-girlfriend, to sing the national anthem?

Wow... that's got some taunting undercurrents, eh?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ok, I'm the first to admit that Manny should be running hard out of the box. But that ball was a HR. Buck and McCarver said they couldn't tell, even on replay, but that's BS. It was gone.
Um, no, it was a 390 foot single. Too bad that Boston didn't lose by a run; you could still say "Oh, that's just Manny being Manny".

You know what's funny? Your pitcher throwing a hissy-fit because Lofton was styling, while Manny is doing the same or worse in the same game.

Btw, that was great base running by Manny when he got tagged out at the plate, wasn't it? Probably didn't want to get his pants dirty.....
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You know what's funny? Your pitcher throwing a hissy-fit because Lofton was styling, ....
I didn't think Lofton was stylin'.
To me he truely believed that pitch was ball four and the strike call was a touch slow. Almost before the bat slowly hit the ground, he was picking it up.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
To me he truely believed that pitch was ball four and the strike call was a touch slow. Almost before the bat slowly hit the ground, he was picking it up.
Kind of a late strike call by Blue as well. I can totally see why the BR thought that it was a ball: both by his view of the pitch and the PU's mechanics.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Um, no, it was a 390 foot single. Too bad that Boston didn't lose by a run; you could still say "Oh, that's just Manny being Manny".

You know what's funny? Your pitcher throwing a hissy-fit because Lofton was styling, while Manny is doing the same or worse in the same game.

Btw, that was great base running by Manny when he got tagged out at the plate, wasn't it? Probably didn't want to get his pants dirty.....
Let's start a list of team mates & opponents who would have knocked down Manny with either a fist or a baseball if he had been playing prior to 1980

I'll start.... team mates Billy Martin, Pete Rose, opponents Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Let's start a list of team mates & opponents who would have knocked down Manny with either a fist or a baseball if he had been playing prior to 1980

I'll start.... team mates Billy Martin, Pete Rose, opponents Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson, Ty Cobb
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 08:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
There's a story this morning in USA Today quoting Lofton as saying that he and Becket have been going at each other since way back in 2005 over Lofton's habit of flipping the bat when he's walked.

Lofton has more than a bit of "Manny"(tm) in him......
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 08:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

I'll start.... team mates Billy Martin, Pete Rose, opponents Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson
Goose Gossage comes to mind immediately.....

A much shorter list would be who wouldn't knock him down......
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Baseball has less and less tolerance for the "old ways" of handling disputes. The umpires tolerate deliberate HBP less and less, and they're following instructions. The owners have too much money tied up in the marquee players -- who get hit by accident enough as it is -- and it always seems to be they who engage in "stylin'" and deserve to be thrown at.

Since the players can no longer take care of this misbehavior themselves, and since it's not against the rules, expect to see more and more of it. Won't be long before we see some classless schlunk "hit the ATM" after knocking one out (or some similar NFL shenanigans).

I thought Betancourt might plunk Ramirez in game 4 after that dumb way he savored his home run (team still down 4). But Betancourt was too classy: he just got Manny to fly out to end the inning.

Either that or he realized that if he plunked Manny, the batter would end up on 1B and Betancourt would be ejected, neither of which would help the team.