The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Hey! I heard he's purdy danged smart.

Anytime a team with only 83 regular-season victories wins the World Series, it gives hope the to the rest of us poor, huddled masses.

And now, back to the junior circuit. Did you see yesterday the White Sox won in the bottom of the ninth by AJ Pierzynski getting nicked (not hit, or hammered, or walloped, etc., just nicked) by a pitch with the bases loaded to bring in the winning run. Of course, leave to him to be in the middle of a little controversy as to whether he made any attempt to get out of the way of the pitch.
Anytime a player tells me that he wasn't trying to get hit, ... he was trying to get hit.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 09:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Anytime a player tells me that he wasn't trying to get hit, ... he was trying to get hit.
And if the pitcher hadn't thrown it there, nobody would have anything to say
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Would this be the corollary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26axJdDKYWw
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Would this be the corollary?
he umpire showed remarkable restraint for not throwing him out earlier for bad acting. I can imagine what he told the player's manager what he thought about his actions.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Has anyone ever seen an umpire rule that a player didn't make an attempt to avoid, therefore no base is awarded? I've never seen this called, at any level.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 01:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Has anyone ever seen an umpire rule that a player didn't make an attempt to avoid, therefore no base is awarded? I've never seen this called, at any level.
Yeah. I have one every few years.
Sometimes they lean into the pitch and sometime they merely refuse to move. But everytime the pitch is a round-house curve that couldn't hurt a gnat.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 02:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
There was a famous play no-called back in the late '60's when Don Drysdale was trying to break the major league record for most shutout innings pitched in a row. He hit a player with the bases loaded, which shoulda forced in a run, but the umpire(Harry Wendelstedt iirc) ruled that the player didn't try to get out of the way. Drysdale then got him out and went on to set the record. Wendelstedt took a lot of crap but later most everybody agreed that he made the right call. Gutsy call, but Wendelstedt was a gutsy umpire. His son, Hunter, is a MLB umpire now.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 03:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I'm not sure if you're saying that b/c you hate baseball or b/c you're writing off certain teams. But I'll just throw out there that on PTI tonight, Wilbon gave the Cards 0% chance to win their division b/c he picked the Cubs to win it.
No, no. Silly joke because the Cards are off to an 0-3 start.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 03:30pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Yep, I've had this call before, not only that but I called a strike on the batter.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 12:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Wow...come back from my vacation and see that my Mariners are 2-1...off to a good start! Of course, they've had several games snowed-out (Snow for crying out loud???), but a good first series...let's see if they can keep it up. Traded Meche who had a good first outing and Piniero who has looked good in spring games, so we'll see what they can...I predict another 68 wins this season - yuck!!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think this is hysterical. The Indians' home opening series got snowed out (the whole series -- not rain, but snowed out!), so their next "home" series is being played in Milwaukee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2830648

Quote:
The Indians moved their series against the Los Angeles Angels to Milwaukee's Miller Park after a spring snowstorm wiped out Cleveland's series against Seattle for the fourth straight day Monday.
Meanwhile, my Sox play a day game tomorrow against DJ's M's. Jeff Weaver goes for Seattle. Is he the good Weaver? Of course, it's supposed to snow here on Thursday for the series finale!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 09:45pm
In Memoriam

Tigers are 50-50.

Pistons' magic number is 1.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I think this is hysterical. The Indians' home opening series got snowed out (the whole series -- not rain, but snowed out!), so their next "home" series is being played in Milwaukee.

Meanwhile, my Sox play a day game tomorrow against DJ's M's. Jeff Weaver goes for Seattle. Is he the good Weaver? Of course, it's supposed to snow here on Thursday for the series finale!
1) Cleveland....Milwaukee.....nobody can tell the difference anyway.

2) This is the Weaver that in his total career has had half a good year with Detroit and half a good year with St. Louis.......and has parlayed that into becoming a multi-millionaire.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Cleveland....Milwaukee.....nobody can tell the difference anyway.
Major League was even filmed in Milwaukee!
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 04:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Well, Weaver was freaking OUTSTANDING today! Gives up 7 runs in two innings...M's go on to lose 14-3...good thing the M's signed that guy this past winter...can't wait to see what he does in his next start. Geesh...