The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Mike Maroth was a good Tiger. Good luck in St. Louis.
And you got nuthin for him, Mick. I liked Maroth a lot and they gave him away for a player to named later, who will probably end up being a AA minor leaguer. What do the Tigers know that the rest of us don't know? I do know that Kenny Rogers came off the DL, but there wasn't some end-of-the-bench player that could've been sent back to the minors? Wow.

In happier news, the Red Sox won and the Yankees lost yesterday. That drops NY to third in the division and gives the Sox an 11 game lead. Beckett was sensational for the Sox, going 8 innings, and Jason Veritek had a triple and a homer, which gave the Sox a little breathing room.

Mussina threw 104 pitches in only 5 innings, and Clemens threw an inning of relief for the first time (in the regular season) since 1984, giving up a run of his own.

Clemens could've signed with Houston, of course, where Craig Biggio is closing in on 3,000 hits. Biggio had 3 hits yesterday, including one that drove in the go-ahead run in the 10th inning. Of course, the reason they played extra innings was that the Astros' bullpen give up 6 runs in the 8th and 9th innings. Ouch.

Ken Griffey, Jr returns to Seattle and received tremendous ovations from the Seattle fans. He hits a couple homers, passing Mark McGwire for 7th place on the all-time list, but the M's win anyway. Some Putz got the save for Seattle.

And the Cubbies beat the White Sox. Ozzie got tossed and the Sox GM is starting to lose patience. Cubbies are en fuego! Well, as hot as a team can be when they're 4 games under .500; but they are in second place in the division.

All in all, it was a pretty fun weekend of baseball. I didn't get to see much of it on Saturday, b/c of my daughter's birthday party. But what I saw on Fri and Sun was a lotta fun.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
And the Tarheels finished in 2nd. place for the 2nd. year.
And Oregon State was under .500 (10-14) and finished 6th in their conference this season. Too bad, I was pulling for UNC.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 07:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
1) And you got nuthin for him, Mick. I liked Maroth a lot and they gave him away for a player to named later, who will probably end up being a AA minor leaguer. What do the Tigers know that the rest of us don't know? I do know that Kenny Rogers came off the DL, but there wasn't some end-of-the-bench player that could've been sent back to the minors? Wow.

2) In happier news, the Red Sox won and the Yankees lost yesterday. That drops NY to third in the division and gives the Sox an 11 game lead.

3) I didn't get to see much of it on Saturday, b/c of my daughter's birthday party.
1) Let's see. Maroth was 5-2 this year but had a terrible ERA of 5.06. Lifetime, his career MLB won/loss record is 50-62 with an ERA of 4.81. He ain't the second coming of Cy Young, Chuckie. Detroit had 7 starters. He was the logical one to go.

2) You couldn't wait to get at the old computer this morning and post that, could you? I bet you set the alarm early just to git up for that.

3) How come Dan and I weren't invited?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
And Oregon State was under .500 (10-14) and finished 6th in their conference this season. Too bad, I was pulling for UNC.
Well, to use a popular colloquialism, the TarHeels got Beaver-whipped.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Let's see. Maroth was 5-2 this year but had a terrible ERA of 5.06. Lifetime, his career MLB won/loss record is 50-62 with an ERA of 4.81. He ain't the second coming of Cy Young, Chuckie. Detroit had 7 starters. He was the logical one to go.
Ok, I don't follow the Tigers as closely as I should and didn't realize his overall W-L record. But they couldn't use him in the bullpen? There wasn't a scrub that could've been sent down? They didn't even bother to figure out who they'd get in return for him? They just said adios. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
2) You couldn't wait to get at the old computer this morning and post that, could you? I bet you set the alarm early just to git up for that.
Come on. Both games were over before 8 pm eastern time last night. If I'd been that eager, I would've done it last night. But I did happen to get up early this morning (stupid neighbor's car alarm), so I figured I'd post.

Quote:
3) How come Dan and I weren't invited?
Dan's probation officer said he can't be around 12-year-old girls anymore and you'd just scare 'em.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 08:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) Ok, I don't follow the Tigers as closely as I should and didn't realize his overall W-L record. But they couldn't use him in the bullpen? There wasn't a scrub that could've been sent down? They didn't even bother to figure out who they'd get in return for him? They just said adios. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

2) Dan's probation officer said he can't be around 12-year-old girls anymore and you'd just scare 'em.
1) I think that what's telling is that Detroit couldn't really get anything for him from any other MLB club than the Redbirds. He must have been offered around both leagues, with no real takers. Whatever the Tigers got from St. Louis was probably the best deal out there.

2) Ooooooo......if Dan ever gets someone to read that to him, and then they explain it to him also, you're in deep doodoo, Mister. And as for me, believe it or not, I am truly beloved by small children and other dumb animals.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jun 25, 2007 at 09:47am.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am truly beloved by small children and other dumb animals.
Even I like JR.

Hey...wait a minute...

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
And you got nuthin for him, Mick. I liked Maroth a lot and they gave him away for a player to named later, who will probably end up being a AA minor leaguer. What do the Tigers know that the rest of us don't know? I do know that Kenny Rogers came off the DL, but there wasn't some end-of-the-bench player that could've been sent back to the minors? Wow.
Maroth didn't meet the power specs of the pitching staff and, thus, he wasn't going to be a starter with Miller coming up.
If it's me I have Fernando Rodney going away.

Tigers appreciated Maroth and sent him to the Champs, who need a starter.
And, since Leyland and LaRussa are buddies, neither team will be hurt.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the Cubbies beat the White Sox. Ozzie got tossed and the Sox GM is starting to lose patience. Cubbies are en fuego! Well, as hot as a team can be when they're 4 games under .500; but they are in second place in the division.

All in all, it was a pretty fun weekend of baseball. I didn't get to see much of it on Saturday, b/c of my daughter's birthday party. But what I saw on Fri and Sun was a lotta fun.
Any time the Cubs sweep the Cardinals or White Sox, it's a pretty fun weekend of baseball. Did you see the play that Ozzie argued and got tossed? I was having dinner at a restaraunt (should've been Chili's, right, Bob?) and didn't get to hear what was happening. I probably need to go over to the baseball side to read more about it, but I'll admit it didn't make sense to me, and it went entirely in the Cubs' favor. Runners on 1st and second, no one out. DeRosa hits a line shot over the right fielder's head that bounces off the wall. The throw comes back in, and by the time the play ends, 2 Cub runners have been caught and tagged out in rundowns, and no runs scored. Well, the umpires get together for about an hour and a half to discuss the play, and after it's over, put all the runners back on base, so it's now bases loaded and no one out, instead of a runner on second and 2 out. Of course, now there's another hour and a half discussion trying to explain it to Ozzie; I was actually surprised he got tossed because he didn't look like he was out of control. But I could read the umpire's lips, and I kept seeing, "But that's the rule!". It ending up having to do with an obstruction call at second base on the lead runner, and since that runner was the first to be tagged out, all other play(s) didn't happen. It was just one of those once-in-a-lifetime plays.

Chuck - tell your daughter Happy Birthday from all of us. Did you give pony rides for the kids?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, to use a popular colloquialism, the TarHeels got Beaver-whipped.
Oy vey.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, maybe slightly off-topic, but, after all, it is baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286632,00.html

I may not watch the contest this year. Unless I find out one of our esteemed members has entered...

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 04:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ok, maybe slightly off-topic, but, after all, it is baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286632,00.html

I may not watch the contest this year. Unless I find out one of our esteemed members has entered...
Verrrrry interesting....
...But schtupit.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Verrrrry interesting....
...But schtupit.

btw...I understand the same ailment sidelined Linda Lovelace for 3 weeks way back when...(am I allowed to say that?)
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
btw...I understand the same ailment sidelined Linda Lovelace for 3 weeks way back when...(am I allowed to say that?)
Would she be eligible for Workers Compensation?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Would she be eligible for Workers Compensation?
I think her employers decided to not fight it and swallow the cost.