The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question California State Championship Game

Did anyone see this game between Mater Dei and Archbishop Mitty (hope that's correct)? Anyhow, there were several controversial calls and non-calls but the icing on the cake was this play near the end of the first half...
Mater Dei player on a fast break, travels as he attempts to step around the defender who is in the lane waiting for the contact. The offensive player flips the ball at the basket when the big crash occurs. Everyone is thinking is it a block or a charge? Ref called a block (wrong IMO) and then they proceeded to count the basket! Problem was, the ball didn't go in the basket, there was no goaltending or basket interference as no other players challenged the shot. IT was amazing that in the championship game, I was the only one who saw (from my couch in Illinois!) that the ball didn't go in the basket. Oh well...
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed that play in this thread:

Alternate Official

I have the game on tape, but haven't had a chance to view it yet. I might do that tonight and post what I see.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you

Thanks, NevadaRref. I just got my password re-established, so I was late posting...I just had to tell somebody!
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
We discussed that play in this thread:

Alternate Official

I have the game on tape, but haven't had a chance to view it yet. I might do that tonight and post what I see.
Wasn't that the play where we had that one post where one called block and the other called charge? We got into a big discussion about it.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Wasn't that the play where we had that one post where one called block and the other called charge?
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but why would you ask this question, instead of just clicking the link that you quoted in the post to find out if it's the thread you're thinking of?
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I have reviewed the play, which occurred with 2:36 remaining in the second quarter. Here is what I see on the tape:

#1 The ball did NOT enter the basket. The attempted lay up hit the backboard and then bounced once on ring before falling off on the opposite side.
#2 The L and C had a double whistle on the play. Neither one gave a prelim. It was not a blarge. They came together and the Lead took the call.
#3 The call made by the Lead was a blocking foul and he counted the basket.
#4 IMO the wrong call was made. The defender was standing at that place on the floor in plenty of time. Not that it matter, but he didn't even move.
#5 The offensive player was Taylor King. He did a very good job of attempting to get around the defender. He attempted a jump stop by ending his dribble with his right foot on the floor and jumped off that foot. However, he did not land simultaneously, so he did travel, as his left foot came down between the defender's legs, and then his right foot landed on the opposite side of the defender before he shot the ball.
#6 To be specific the sequence was: a. end dribble and jump off of right foot, b. offensive player's left foot comes down to the floor, c. contact occurs on the left leg of the defender and some of the side of the body, d. the offensive player's right foot comes down to the floor, e. the offensive player attempts an unsuccessful try for goal, f. the offensive player is fouled by a second defender.