The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Broadview Heights, Ohio
Posts: 11
Serena Williams Heckler (Non-Basketball)

THIS was headline news on ESPN.com. This story is regarding a man who heckled one of the Williams' sisters and was kicked out for heckling. Besides the fact that there isn't any real proof that the guy actually used a racial slur, I just think this comment makes the whole funny story:

"Every time I missed a shot or a serve, he would say, 'That's the way to do it,'" she said. "He was calling, 'Foot fault.' He was saying, 'Hit in the net.' ... I mean, who does this? That's so elementary. You don't do this on a professional level." - Serena Williams

I guess it's a good thing she doesn't play basketball at the high school level...err, I mean AAU level, err I mean WNBA level.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=2815494
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 09:52am
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,396
Personally, I don't find it funny at all. I think it's sickening.

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing she doesn't play basketball at the high school level...err, I mean AAU level, err I mean WNBA level.
Because racial slurs are just fine in those venues?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
[QUOTE=Damien]
"Every time I missed a shot or a serve, he would say, 'That's the way to do it,'" she said. "He was calling, 'Foot fault.' He was saying, 'Hit in the net.' ... I mean, who does this? That's so elementary. You don't do this on a professional level." - Serena Williams


It was not like she made these comments up. There were other people who could verify those comments that were made. Damien, you my friend needs CO2 training.
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 09:59am
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,097
This is why I tell some of my out of control wreck league players. If you can't stand the heat, go play tennis!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio, cincinnati
Posts: 813
It is sad to see that the stuffy ridgid sport of tennis has fallen to this level.
What is next Golfers asking for people being removed because their cameras shutters are too loud!

If it was RACIAL then he desaerves to be throuw out on his keister (arse)
But if there was nothing racial - grow up it is a harsh world deal with it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Broadview Heights, Ohio
Posts: 11
Let's try this again.

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
"Every time I missed a shot or a serve, he would say, 'That's the way to do it,'" she said. "He was calling, 'Foot fault.' He was saying, 'Hit in the net.' ... I mean, who does this? That's so elementary. You don't do this on a professional level." - Serena Williams


It was not like she made these comments up. There were other people who could verify those comments that were made. Damien, you my friend needs CO2 training.


No where in my post or the ESPN article does it cite ANYWHERE where ANYONE verified these comments. She's the only one who heard them. Also, like I said, I wasn't commenting on the fact that this guy may or may not have said anything racial, my point was the simple fact that she's complaing that she's getting heckled. She's saying that this doesnt happen in sports, and it does. That was my point.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
"Every time I missed a shot or a serve, he would say, 'That's the way to do it,'" she said. "He was calling, 'Foot fault.' He was saying, 'Hit in the net.' ... I mean, who does this? That's so elementary. You don't do this on a professional level." - Serena Williams
That's funny! At a professional level, tennis and golf players should have to be able to put up with some heckling, but they won't even tolerate noise.... genteel sports for genteel people!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
[QUOTE=Damien]
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie



No where in my post or the ESPN article does it cite ANYWHERE where ANYONE verified these comments. She's the only one who heard them. Also, like I said, I wasn't commenting on the fact that this guy may or may not have said anything racial, my point was the simple fact that she's complaing that she's getting heckled. She's saying that this doesnt happen in sports, and it does. That was my point.
I understand that. However, there were others around the HECKLER who heard his comments. They evern pointed him out to the administrator. This is why I stated what I stated, as well as, you stated what you stated.
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio, cincinnati
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
No where in my post or the ESPN article does it cite ANYWHERE where ANYONE verified these comments. She's the only one who heard them. Also, like I said, I wasn't commenting on the fact that this guy may or may not have said anything racial, my point was the simple fact that she's complaing that she's getting heckled. She's saying that this doesnt happen in sports, and it does. That was my point.
Actually in the article it does say that they talked to people who said the man used inappropriate comments. But in tennis that could be BOO.

It is Tennis for G^&'s sake - it used to be you weren't alowed on the court if you were not wearing white.
You have to be quiet while a person throws the ball to themselves to hit with an objet the size of a large frying pan!

What is next you won't be able to yell "hey batter batter swing" in knothole?

Grow up little girl the world is a harsh place!
My appologies to Ms. Williams if in any way that comment made you feel uncomfortable

Last edited by OHBBREF; Wed Mar 28, 2007 at 10:44am.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Personally, I don't find it funny at all. I think it's sickening.

Because racial slurs are just fine in those venues?
You find what sickening?

The accusations or the denials?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Broadview Heights, Ohio
Posts: 11
What's Inappropriate?

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien

I understand that. However, there were others around the HECKLER who heard his comments. They evern pointed him out to the administrator. This is why I stated what I stated, as well as, you stated what you stated.

Actually if we want to get technical here, the article states: "Fans and security confirmed a man heckled Williams inappropriately, tournament director Adam Barrett said."

No where in this article does it say that this guy actually used racial comments. With the way the media is today, if the guy did use racial comments, you can bet those people who actually heard it would be trying to have their face plastered all over ESPN or Fox Sports or SPEEDtv or NFL Network or Golf Channel or whatever channel they could get their face on. If the guy said anything 'racially offensive' to her, shame on him. Same thing allegedly happened to her father in 2001 where someone "said" something racial that no-one confirmed and now both sisters refuse to play in that tournament because of how the situation was handled, or wasn't handled.

If the guy was just heckling her or tell her he thought she sucked or was lazy or didn't know how to play Tennis, there's not crime in that. Fans in every other sport do that, and I've never seen anyone get the boot for telling an athlete they didn't know how to play (i.e. they suck).

So to Serena, yes - they do do that on a professional level - in every other sport (Basketball, Baseball, Football, NASCAR, Hockey, Soccer...hell I'm sure they even do it in Cycling).

Would you throw a fan out of a game after that person told you that you sucked or you were lazy or didn't know the rules? Probably not. Would you throw a fan out of a game after that person made a racial slur? Probably, but I bet more than one person would have been able to tell you exactly what the fan said.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:03pm
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
Grow up little girl the world is a harsh place!
My appologies to Ms. Williams if in any way that comment made you feel uncomfortable
#1.) Serena is not a little girl. #2.) You don't hackle women in there work environment, there's a code. It's kind of a slippery slop to let men have this type of advantage over women. If a women feels insecure about a man hackling her, that could be a big problem for the host.

However, I understand exactly what you mean by it's a harsh world we live in. That be the way it is.....however, there are some people who don't believe the world is harsh when they are on the other side of the insults. Ain't that right BackInTheSaddle or Mr.MTD.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
[QUOTE=Damien]
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie


Actually if we want to get technical here, the article states: "Fans and security confirmed a man heckled Williams inappropriately, tournament director Adam Barrett said."

No where in this article does it say that this guy actually used racial comments. With the way the media is today, if the guy did use racial comments, you can bet those people who actually heard it would be trying to have their face plastered all over ESPN or Fox Sports or SPEEDtv or NFL Network or Golf Channel or whatever channel they could get their face on. If the guy said anything 'racially offensive' to her, shame on him. Same thing allegedly happened to her father in 2001 where someone "said" something racial that no-one confirmed and now both sisters refuse to play in that tournament because of how the situation was handled, or wasn't handled.

If the guy was just heckling her or tell her he thought she sucked or was lazy or didn't know how to play Tennis, there's not crime in that. Fans in every other sport do that, and I've never seen anyone get the boot for telling an athlete they didn't know how to play (i.e. they suck).

So to Serena, yes - they do do that on a professional level - in every other sport (Basketball, Baseball, Football, NASCAR, Hockey, Soccer...hell I'm sure they even do it in Cycling).

Would you throw a fan out of a game after that person told you that you sucked or you were lazy or didn't know the rules? Probably not. Would you throw a fan out of a game after that person made a racial slur? Probably, but I bet more than one person would have been able to tell you exactly what the fan said.

Why are you constantly defending your position? You view it differently then I do. I'm moving on.
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mick or Bob, surely you'll agree that, from this point, this thread can't lead anywhere interesting or worthwhile. Please close it NOW!!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 185
Quote:
Actually if we want to get technical here, the article states: "Fans and security confirmed a man heckled Williams inappropriately, tournament director Adam Barrett said."
How does one heckle appropriately?

I don't watch much tennis so I don't know one Williams sister from the other, but since she claims she heard rude comments from the stands she must not be the one who does all the grunting after every stroke.

I'm on the fence on this one; I don't tolerate fans making comments to players in any sport at the HS level. But Williams is a grown woman in a world where common sense and common courtesy are growing less common by the day. As long as the "fan" wasn't making vulgar or racist comments, I say "get over it" (unless, of course, it says specifically on the contract [ie., admission ticket] that such behavior is punishable by expulsion).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bernie williams ejection briancurtin Baseball 18 Sun May 14, 2006 09:06am
Boo Williams National Invitational Raymond Basketball 7 Wed Apr 12, 2006 02:03pm
Boo Williams tournament tomegun Basketball 18 Tue Apr 12, 2005 04:04am
Doherty out, Williams in, and MSU -MD BktBallRef Basketball 35 Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:58pm
UNC v. Williams Nevadaref Basketball 23 Tue Apr 08, 2003 09:12pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1