The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

bernie williams ejection

did anyone see bernie drop/flip his bat after striking out looking? he supposedly got immediately fined for that (according to harold reynolds), and then got ejected by charlie reliford after tossing his helmet behind him.

any thoughts? i didnt think the bat drop/flip was all that bad, the helmet throw was though
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

I also thought the helmet throw was the worse part of the two. I don't think Bernie was throwing the helmet at the ump. The ump was walking up the 1st base line and bernie never turned around as he flipped his helmet. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 3 or 4 games for the helmet toss
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

He only did that because it was a scab umpire!!!! It would never have happened if real union umps were doing the game!!!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
He only did that because it was a scab umpire!!!! It would never have happened if real union umps were doing the game!!!
Heh, I knew this was coming
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
did anyone see bernie drop/flip his bat after striking out looking? he supposedly got immediately fined for that (according to harold reynolds), and then got ejected by charlie reliford after tossing his helmet behind him.

any thoughts? i didnt think the bat drop/flip was all that bad, the helmet throw was though
When I saw the replay on Sportscenter it looked to me like Bernie looked over his right shoulder, at this time Reiliford was starting to walk up the line, Weilliams took a step or two and tossed the helmet. I think he was trying to maybe not hit the umpire but show him up or whatever.

There is the automatic fine for throwing equipment, so he may have gotten the fine twice (for the bat and the helmet).

I think a two or three game suspension would be appropriate even though Bernie Williams has not really done anything too bad before in his career
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What, we have HS guys working the BIGS because the minor league umps won't? Charlie Reliford, Charlie Reliford, damn that sounds familiar...
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJN
I think a two or three game suspension would be appropriate even though Bernie Williams has not really done anything too bad before in his career
i havent seen this in print anywhere, but i believe i heard harold reynolds say that this is the first time bernie has ever been ejected in the major leagues. right, wrong, im not sure but thats what i heard.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
i havent seen this in print anywhere, but i believe i heard harold reynolds say that this is the first time bernie has ever been ejected in the major leagues. right, wrong, im not sure but thats what i heard.
The Yankees announcers reported that Bernie said it was the first time he had ever been ejected in his entire life.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't surprise me - I'm no yanks fan, but Bernie has always come across as a relatively cool head and solid baseball guy. Contrast, e.g., Paul O'Neill, who played with great intensity but was an a$$.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:19pm

Quote:
I already posted this humorous tidbit at the end of the Delmon Young thread.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
I also thought the helmet throw was the worse part of the two. I don't think Bernie was throwing the helmet at the ump. The ump was walking up the 1st base line and bernie never turned around as he flipped his helmet. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 3 or 4 games for the helmet toss
What version of the video were you watching, the Zapruder? Williams definitely turned his head around and saw Reliford walking up the 1st base line. He immediately intentionally threw his helmet in Reliford's direction. The washed up Williams can't hit big league pitching anymore, so he has taken to bush league tactics, apparently.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see yours when I posted mine here Steve - but I see many great minds think alike!
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Was it the end of the inning?

If so, he would have been walking out on the field, no? He is DHing alot of games this year, but if he was playing CF or even RF, and the Yanks dugout is on the first base side, I don't see this as that big of a deal unless he was throwing it AT the umpire. I haven't seen it though...
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

this was a strike out to end the inning and then he walked to the dugout (1st base side like you said). reliford took a few steps up to the bat williams tossed, pointed at it and said something, then continued up the first base line. im not sure if he was DHing (probably) or playing the field, but either way he walked back to the dugout and because reliford was walking up the first base line, the helmet went right behind him.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

See tonight's B.W. as F9 debacle, called an error, in the Red Sox / Yankees game tonight.