The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Oden Intentional Foul

That was a classic case of an intentional foul, imo, at the end of regulation. And it will cost Xavier the game it looks like.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I would agree with you. I would love to have heard the explanation they gave to Coach Miller on that one.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

You just don't call that.

Why? I'll never know.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to regs12
2 hand push to the floor

They only showed the replay once on TV but live that looked to be intentional...2 hand push to the floor and the lead had good look at it. Oden is a big guy but was the official thinking damage control rather than penalizing the obvious? I would like to see it again and would also like to see what everyone else is thinking. Good Post!

PRE
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that it would be nice to see it again but the actual play and the replay seemed to indicate no attempt to play the ball, just a straight push. These calls never decide games since Xavier had every chance to win in OT but I think they would have had a great chance to win it in regulation had they called this.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
I would agree with you. I would love to have heard the explanation they gave to Coach Miller on that one.
Coach he only got pushed into the cameramen. If he would've gotten pushed into the first row, then I would've called it...

I agree, I would've called the intentional and I'm sure no assignor or supervisor would've given me grief about it.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regs12
They only showed the replay once on TV but live that looked to be intentional...2 hand push to the floor and the lead had good look at it. Oden is a big guy but was the official thinking damage control rather than penalizing the obvious? I would like to see it again and would also like to see what everyone else is thinking. Good Post!
The actually did show a replay, and it looked worse then the live play. The guy actually got pushed off his feet, meaning he flew a$$ first out of bounds.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:46pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
and who woulda thought that Oden fouling out would be one of the determining factors, in a positive way, for osu?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

He really didn't get pushed, but got blocked (as in football block). No brainer intentional, in my view. I'll concede that if might not have looked as bad on the floor as it did from the TV angle, but it was bad enough. There was clearly no play on the ball.

However, if X makes their last free throw, they will probably win.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I was disappointed at the fact that it was not called intentional. No attempt to play the ball. None. Call it!
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

John Cahill from the Big East (among others) was the calling official on the foul and they just dont call that foul very often. You got a team that is down wanting to foul and Oden went hard to the ball. Intentional in that situation---I don't know. But I dont have a problem with the simple foul. Still if the guy sinks two free throws, the three pointer doesnt mean annthing.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I was waiting for the crossing of arms. I was surprised the TV guys didn't mention it and only showed one replay.
The Lead worked his last game this year; That was too obvious to miss. Did the crew get together at any point to discuss it? Center might have had something. (Wow, it's easy to call a game from here.)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just saw an interesting angle during halftime of the MD/Butler game. Camera angle is from the sideline camera sitting on the floor right behind the C official.

Jamar Butler missed the three point shot and OSU's David Lighty got the offensive rebound. As he tries to put it back up, you can see the C official start to raise a fist and then bring it back down. Xavier's Justin Cage gets the rebound and is fouled by Oden. Shoulda been an intentional in my opinion.

EDIT: It was actually the T that started to raise a fist on the Lighty attempt, not the C. Cahill was Lead on this play I believe, and the big black dude, Les _____ was C. Not sure who T was.

Last edited by WhistlesAndStripes; Sat Mar 17, 2007 at 03:40pm.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes

EDIT: It was actually the T that started to raise a fist on the Lighty attempt, not the C. Cahill was Lead on this play I believe, and the big black dude, Les _____ was C. Not sure who T was.
I saw that as well. He definitely started to call a foul, but backed off. That won't go over well with the supervisor. Done it myself a time or two. It happens when you get in a hurry.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

intentional fouls

talk about not calling an intentional. Check the Butler-Maryland game.Last few seconds Butler player gets rebound and moves toward mid court and gets his shirt grabbed and nearly ripped off his back. No call.