The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Next gets stuck

I'll preface this by saying that it's inexcusable that nets gets stuck after made shots in NCAA tournament games. This is something that should be rectified before the games start.

Anyway ...

I've noticed that during the tournament when a net does get stuck after a made shot, the officials have been stopping the game to fix the net. Is this poper procedure?

Our high school board instructs us to leave the net stuck, unless there is a dead-ball opportunity at that end of the floor to get them unstuck. The theory, we are told, is that by stopping the game to fix the net, we could be allowing the scoring team to set up a press and/or we could be preventing the scored upon team from running a quick secondary break.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Last edited by eastcoastref; Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 02:45pm.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Oh brother....here we go.

I'm not sure what the poper procedure is when the next gets stuck.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

This issue has been discussed in the past. Nobody, including myself was able to site a rule that stated that the game should be stopped or not to fix a hung net.

There were good arguments on both sides of the issue.

I just went to my local association meeting and posed the question to open discussion. (Apparently where you are, they have "school boards" as oppossed to local associations.)

Because there is no rule to specifically cover this situation, I think that you should do what your school board wants you do.

My local association seemed to think it is OK to fix the net. Although there was no real discussion about it. A few veterans said fix it, and nobody disagreed.

My personal belief is that you should have an awareness of the game and situation at hand.

If the inbounds team is attempting to run a fast break, it would be a disadvantage to them to stop the clock. The net can wait.

If the defense already has their press setup, stopping the clock to fix the net won't change anything.

If the defense has been pressing, but is not prepared to press at the moment, stopping the clock would allow them extra time. Leave the net alone, or just jump up there and fix it yourself.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 04:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Search the topic...you'll see we've been here before.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

In a few games this year, during the pre-game warm up, my partner and I noticed the net getting stuck on one basket. We discussed it and decided to make it part of our pre-game with the coaches and captains. We told them we would not stop the game to fix it but if a dead ball occurred we would do it then. They both agreed.
With that said, it should never happen in any gym let alone the NCAA tournament.