The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

What you guys donign about a stuck (tangled/over the rim) net?

I normally stop play immediatly as soon as observed. What if I'm prohibiting a fast break opportunity?

Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

What you guys donign about a stuck (tangled/over the rim) net?

I normally stop play immediatly as soon as observed. What if I'm prohibiting a fast break opportunity?

Then you shouldn't stop play immediately.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Daddy, there are 2 schools of thought on this within this forum.

1) Stop play at the first opportune moment and fix the net. Treat it almost as a player with a minor injury. If nothing is going on, just blow the whistle and take care of it. If there's a fast break, wait till it finishes. But then get it fixed.

2) Don't stop play at all. Just let the players and/or the play dislodge the net the next time down. This is how I handle it. In my 25 years of playing, coaching, and officiating, I've seen a wrapped net stop a ball from entering the basket exactly ONCE. And it was in a practice when one of the guys was screwing around and tightened the net on purpose. The odds of the wrapped net affecting the play are so small that it doesn't justify stopping the game, in my humble opinion.

You should ask around your area to find out how the more experienced guys expect you to handle it.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

If you're going into a gym where you know the net is likely to get stuck, pre-game with your partner how you'll handle it. IMHO, it makes the crew look inconsistent if each official handles it differently.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
If you're going into a gym where you know the net is likely to get stuck, pre-game with your partner how you'll handle it. IMHO, it makes the crew look inconsistent if each official handles it differently.
I know this will sound sarcastic, please don't take it that way........how would I know this? Please advise.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
I know this will sound sarcastic, please don't take it that way........how would I know this? Please advise.
Old gym and/or old nets...school with little or no budget to replace nets...been there before and experienced it.

BTW...I'm in Chuck's first scenario camp...why not fix it and alleviate the possible/probable complaints?

[Edited by RookieDude on Dec 20th, 2005 at 10:47 AM]
Richland, WA
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I am not aware of anything that directs us to stop play to fix it. I generally wait til the next dead ball situation. Even then, I will ask a player to show the entire gym his hops. I will not jump up to get it or toss the ball up. I once saw an official toss the ball at the net, he hit the rim and it bounced back quickly off his head. The whole stands enjoyed a laugh at the refs expense. Ever since that I decided not to put myself in that situation.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I go with Chuck's first option too. If you aren't preventing an advantage for the other team, just stop play and fix it. No harm done and no possibility of the stuck net (no matter how remote) causing you unnecessary grief.

However, that's the generally accepted practice in my area. As Chuck said, if everyone goes by option 2 in your area, you probably don't want to be the only one using option 1.

Z
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Quote:
Old gym and/or old nets...school with little or no budget to replace nets...been there before and experienced it.
A couple of years ago there was a school here that bought all new nets for all their gyms -- maybe they found a good deal at CostCo, I don't know. But those nets "stuck" like crazy. By about the fourth game in any gym, all the refs in the association knew that you could afford to just ignore it, it ALWAYS swung back down on the first touch. If we'd have stopped the game for every stuck net, we'd still be finishing the season two years later.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You can usually tell during warmups if you're going to have a problem. I had this happen a couple of years ago where the maintenance guy had replaced one net, but not the other. The old net kept flipping up and getting stuck, so he got out the second new one and had it replaced before we started the game. No problems after that.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not aware of anything that directs us to stop play to fix it. I generally wait til the next dead ball situation. Even then, I will ask a player to show the entire gym his hops. I will not jump up to get it or toss the ball up. I once saw an official toss the ball at the net, he hit the rim and it bounced back quickly off his head. The whole stands enjoyed a laugh at the refs expense. Ever since that I decided not to put myself in that situation.
How about...

Rule 1-10 BASKET SIZE, MATERIAL
ART. 1 . . . Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

If it is wrapped over the top, it is not suspended. If it is lying across the top of the rim, it can affect any shot that makes contact with it. It should be fixed.

For none of the specifications in rule 1 is a rememdy specified but I doubt anyone would consider continuing play when a breakaway rim didn't return to position after being legally pulled down or when a ball spontaneously goes flat.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
How about...

ART. 1 . . . Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

If it is wrapped over the top, it is not suspended. If it is lying across the top of the rim, it can affect any shot that makes contact with it. It should be fixed.

For none of the specifications in rule 1 is a rememdy specified but I doubt anyone would consider continuing play when a breakaway rim didn't return to position after being legally pulled down or when a ball spontaneously goes flat.
It's very well possible that you are comparing apples to oranges.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Quote:
It should be fixed.

It's very well possible that you are comparing apples to oranges.
And... a comment from camp #1

And hey, I thought it was peach baskets.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
How about...

Camron,
I thought about this situation a few years back and came to the same conclusion as you. The basket is now illegal due to the position of the net. As a game cannot be continued without the proper equipment as specified in the rules, I believe that the officials have to remedy this.
Hence, I stop play at the first opportunity and fix the net.

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:
How about...

Camron,
I thought about this situation a few years back and came to the same conclusion as you. The basket is now illegal due to the position of the net. As a game cannot be continued without the proper equipment as specified in the rules, I believe that the officials have to remedy this.
Hence, I stop play at the first opportunity and fix the net.

I don't...and won't.

Apples and oranges..... and trying to make a rule fit that has nuthin' to do with the actual stuation.