The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

The other post about field mechanics got me thinking, I know it's not good to work without tools but bear with me. How often do you get stuck in the C or D position? I am not near as good with field mechanice as I should be, do too much plate! The other night I got to do field and had a play when I was in the D position. R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd ss playing in front of the line 2 outs. So of course there is a hit to SS runners off with the pitch R2 hesitates to not run into a tag ss bobbles ball that heads toward 2nd picks it up and throws for a bang bang play at first. I was trapped!! What I did was ran parallel to basepath to not cross in front of R2, and then not to get in F5's way of fielding so by the time they cleared I had a good angle on the play but had only gotten about in line with the baseline. I feel like I got a good look at it and sold the out progressing closer to 1st so it didn't look like I was so far away. No coach complained, I did have another umpire give me a hard time about not hussleing into the diamond. Is there any way around having to wait for the play to develop, and then ending up farther away than I like?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
First question is why in the world are you in D - on the 3B line - in a 2-man system? And if you weren't in a 2-man, why were you taking the call at 1B? From the C position, you should be heading inside on a play like that.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 10:31pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Toughie.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Is there any way around having to wait for the play to develop, and then ending up farther away than I like?
DaveASA/FED,

That's just a tough spot.

When I am in the yard, the situation you note is the main situation I feel compelled to pre-game :
  • Me on left side and ball hit to left side.

(It's much worse than being in A with a screamer two inches fair down the right side.)

My pre-game is to ask Plate ump to be ready to give the play at first a little extra attention, if he would be so kind.

mick

Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 12:26am
    Official Forum Member

Um..Im assuming by "d" position you mean on the 3rd base line......and if that is the case, you should NEVER be there in a two man system....I think if you were in C, your problem would have been less..and if you were working 3 man..why were u taking the call at first?

[Edited by azbigdawg on Jul 2nd, 2004 at 10:22 AM]
    Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 08:49am
    Official Forum Member

No, sorry I wasn't thinking I was referring to C as left shoulder of SS and D as right shoulder of SS, forgot all about 3 person mechanic positions! And I did try to get inside but by the time the fielder, who was blocking my travel got ready to throw R2 was heading to 3rd in my route of travel also. I did end up inside but not near as far as I like to be. Just wondering if anyone else has an idea of how to get around the fielders, sounds like it's the same with everyone there are some plays that get you stuck for awhile.
    Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 09:23am
    Official Forum Member

gotcha.... yea particularly in c there are time you wont get where u want to be..
    Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 10:14am
    Official Forum Member

OK, that positioning sounds better, Dave. There are short-comings with a 2-man system & this is one of them.
    Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:10am
    Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
    With 2 outs, I would have been shading toward 2nd, not 3rd but possibly getting trapped in the runner-F6 traffic. However, being nearer 2nd means I could move toward 1st on the throw as the runner would either be past or holding by then. I assume you were toward 3rd to be cover a pickoff at 3rd, but with 2 outs I would still stay left of F6.
    Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:23am
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
    Originally posted by CecilOne
    With 2 outs, I would have been shading toward 2nd, not 3rd but possibly getting trapped in the runner-F6 traffic. However, being nearer 2nd means I could move toward 1st on the throw as the runner would either be past or holding by then. I assume you were toward 3rd to be cover a pickoff at 3rd, but with 2 outs I would still stay left of F6.
    CecilOne,

Good thought, if we have such a choice with a shortstop playing straight-up.
    Most times, for me, the determining factor of left/right is primarily the set of the shortstop, who may often vary the positioning based upon the batter, and not the number of outs. With an extremely deep set, I may even be forward of F6.

mick
    Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:49am
    Official Forum Member

As a Rookie this year, I had a simular play earlier this year. Runners on 1st and 2nd, two outs. I'm in C position. Ball hit hard to F6, who bobbles the ball. She starts her throw to 1st so I start in to inside of diamond. About the time I get even with her she turns and throws to 3rd. I have to duck to keep from getting hit by the ball. Out of the corner of my eye I see F5 catch the ball and she goes for tag but runner slides under her. I call her safe. When play is over, the defensive coach calls time and ask if he could appeal my call to the plate umpire. I go to my partner and tell him I think runner was safe but did he see anything different than me since I was ducking the ball and had to make a quick call. He said he did not see anything different and to stick with my call. When I signaled safe again, the coach said it was a forced play any way and I blew the call. I said to myself, he's right it was a forced play and I blew it. Then I thought but she was off the bag and I made the right call after all. This could only happen to a rookie.
    Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 02:13pm
    Official Forum Member

Strike4,
    NO, it happens to all of us, I got that reminded to myself earlier this year. Had the pleasure of working with a very well respected umpire in this area. She works Div 1 college down to the 12U tourney we were calling. I am at plate R1 at 2nd R2 at 1st hit to SS bobbles it and then throws to 3rd who is standing on bag, runner slides in she sells a safe call. I stood there in the holding zone looking to see if anyone was going to say anything, and she turned to return to her position and looked to 1st and 2nd, called time and said "My fault that was a force out, runner is out." No one said a thing and we went on with life, excpet inbetween innings she had plenty to say "I can't believe I lost sight of the force, how stupid of me (I cleaned it up alot)." But like I say it happens to all of us, like I keep getting told timing is everything replay it and think of the situation (force or tag?) and then call it like you saw it.
    Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 10:22am
    Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    CecilOne,

Good thought, if we have such a choice with a shortstop playing straight-up.
    Most times, for me, the determining factor of left/right is primarily the set of the shortstop, who may often vary the positioning based upon the batter, and not the number of outs. With an extremely deep set, I may even be forward of F6.

mick [/B]
    Most of us should never be forward of the nearby fielder. If the fielder is playing that deep, especially if behind would be on the grass, several steps to the side is better. Gauge the side distance by how far the fielder can move before you get out of the way.
    Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 08:54am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by CecilOne
    Most of us should never be forward of the nearby fielder. If the fielder is playing that deep, especially if behind would be on the grass, several steps to the side is better. Gauge the side distance by how far the fielder can move before you get out of the way. [/QUOTE]

Well, that depends on how you define "forward".

It is an acceptable mechanic for the umpire to be "forward" of the fielder as long as that umpire is behind a direct line from the near fielder to the next nearest fielder to your side of that player.

I often use this mechanic when the infielders play so deep, I can barely see the infield let alone get there on a ball to the outfield. It works as long as the umpire is physically capable of getting out of the way of a possible play.