The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt??

Team A gets possession of the ball in their backcourt. In an outlet pass to player A1 player B intercept the pass but his momentum takes him into his backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:13am
MABO Member

If the player had control of the ball while in the front court and then went into the back I would call a violation. If they tipped it and went into the backcourt to retrieve it then I got nothing.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Official Forum Member

Where did B gain possession? Need more info on B
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Team A gets possession of the ball in their backcourt. In an outlet pass to player A1 player B intercept the pass but his momentum takes him into his backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
If a defensive player jumps from his own frontcourt and intercepts the ball while airborne, he is allowed to land in his backcourt and there is no backcourt violation.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
If the player had control of the ball while in the front court and then went into the back I would call a violation. If they tipped it and went into the backcourt to retrieve it then I got nothing.
So if he caught the ball while airborne and then landed in the BC, you have a violation?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:17am
MABO Member

No, don't put words in for me. I just didn't include the airborne portion in my post. Scrapper has it 100%.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Rule 9-9-3

If B1 jumps from his/her fromtcourt, intercepts/catches the ball while both feet are off the ground, then the denfensive player is allowed a normal landing. The order of the feet touching the court has no bearing on front court/back court status.
So say the first foot lands in B1's front court then the second foot lands in the back court. This is legal. No violation. B1 has back court status. Also the 1st foot down is the pivot foot. Now, if B1 lifts the foot that is in back court and returns it to back court. This is where the violation occurs. It would be best for B1 to either start dribbling in backcourt or pass to another player in back court to maintain back court status.
Got it?
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

9-9-3 B1, while airborne, intercepts a pass from A1 to A2. B1 had jumped from B's frontcourt and landed in B's backcourt. This is not a violation. The provision is provided only to the defensive team and only to the player who secures control while airborne.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
9-9-3 B1, while airborne, intercepts a pass from A1 to A2. B1 had jumped from B's frontcourt and landed in B's backcourt. This is not a violation. The provision is provided only to the defensive team and only to the player who secures control while airborne.
Whoa, then I've blown this call...I'm waiting for a few more posts on this one and a chance to go and read 9-9-3 or whatever rule # it is...Can one of you with a rule book post the whole rule...this is not referring to an inbounds pass is it.....like I said, I have backcourt violation here and a hard time understanding why we're giving B an advantage that the offensive team doesn't get....
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushmoreRef
Whoa, then I've blown this call...I'm waiting for a few more posts on this one and a chance to go and read 9-9-3 or whatever rule # it is...Can one of you with a rule book post the whole rule...this is not referring to an inbounds pass is it.....like I said, I have backcourt violation here and a hard time understanding why we're giving B an advantage that the offensive team doesn't get....
We give B an advantage because they can't control where the ball is.

An excpetion is granted on a jump ball, and inbounds pass, and to the defense intercepting a pass -- an airborne player is allowed to jump from the FC, catch the ball and land in the BC without this being a violation.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
We give B an advantage because they can't control where the ball is.

An excpetion is granted on a jump ball, and inbounds pass, and to the defense intercepting a pass -- an airborne player is allowed to jump from the FC, catch the ball and land in the BC without this being a violation.
I got the first two but didn't realize the third....what about the landing....if one touches in the front court has he established front-court position and if the other comes down in the backcourt then it's a violation??? I know if A does that on an inbounds its a violation so it should be on B in this sit....

Personally I don't like this rule (probably because I didn't know it) Don't think there should be an exception....if this is a rule then give the O the benefit of the doubt on a tipped ball that goes into the backcourt...I have the casebook in front of me but it doesn't cover this rule there..

Again, can someone post the actual rulebook explanation...if they have it...
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This "advantage" is provided to players whose team is not in control; during a throwin, on defense, and during a jump ball. A player whose team is not in control may jump from his front court, secure the ball while airborne, and land normally in the backcourt.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't have the rule book with me, but the player is permitted a normal landing. IOW, the first foot may touch in the FC and the 2nd in the BC and still be a legal play.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I got the first two but didn't realize the third....what about the landing....if one touches in the front court has he established front-court position and if the other comes down in the backcourt then it's a violation???
No. As someone else already posted, the player is allowed a "normal" landing, even if the first foot touches in the frontcourt and the second touches in the backcourt.

Quote:
I know if A does that on an inbounds its a violation.
I don't think that you really know that.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got the first two but didn't realize the third....what about the landing....if one touches in the front court has he established front-court position and if the other comes down in the backcourt then it's a violation??? I know if A does that on an inbounds its a violation so it should be on B in this sit
I think not. Check out 9-9-3.

Quote:
Don't think there should be an exception....if this is a rule then give the O the benefit of the doubt on a tipped ball that goes into the backcourt...I have the casebook in front of me but it doesn't cover this rule there..

Again, can someone post the actual rulebook explanation...if they have it...
The "exception" is there because of the NFHS definition of team control. B can't have team control, and A doesn't have control during a throw-in.

9-9-3:
"A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt."