The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
This is entirely possible. However, at their level they get surprised by very little.
Yes, but this play was not only unique, it was very unique. (said to annoy Mr. Grammer Person (written to annoy Ms. Spelling Person)).

I think they saw it, said, "WTF?" and then it was too late.

Heck, even here with some review, we can't agree on what the call should be.

Quote:
Bob, do you really try to avoid conflict that much?
???
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
That's great to know; I think I mentioned that in an earlier response to Tomegun.
But in this case that's pure nonsense. He jumped straight up off 2-feet. The offensive player move to the other side of the rim. Cain grabbed the rim and swung back to make a play on the ball.
That's not what others are claiming. They've claimed that he was sailing away from the shooter and grabbed the rim to change directions.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:02am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

???

I thought I made my question perfectly clear. Many of your posts come from a non confrontational point of view. It is almost as if you want to get involved as little as possible regardless of what the right thing to do might be.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought I made my question perfectly clear.
You didn't.

Quote:
Many of your posts come from a non confrontational point of view.
Part of that's the moderator's job, part of that is that I'll give my opinion and/or state the facts as I see them and move on. I see no point in the coinstant bickering and back-and-forth that goes on.
Quote:
It is almost as if you want to get involved as little as possible regardless of what the right thing to do might be.
The right thing according to whom? If it's the "right thing according to you" then I take it as the highest compliment that I don't do it.

Now, which of these smileys means "you're an effin a-hole but I can deny I said it because I used a smiley?"
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 08:09am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

"Beware the fury of a patient man." John Dryden
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 08:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Now, which of these smileys means "you're an effin a-hole but I can deny I said it because I used a smiley?"
LOL....now you're getting the idea.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:53am
Huck Finn

Quote:
The right thing according to whom? If it's the "right thing according to you" then I take it as the highest compliment that I don't do it.
You know, that is cute and all - I dig the whole fury of the moderator thing and all that jazz. The only problem is I wasn't so much talking about what you say as far as the board is concerned as I was talking about what you would do on the court. Your main problem barking up this tree is I'm not an internet official. I am more than capable of backing up anything I say on the court. I don't give a rat's A$$ if you can type it, do you have the intestinal fortitude to do it on the court?

Quote:
Now you're standing up for yourself! I didn't know you had it in you.
Being an a-hole on the court is often necessary because what we do isn't always popular. I don't look to take the path of least resistance, I choose the path that is right for the game. I know I'm not an a-hole off the court so you don't have to deny you ever called me anything.

I was just concerned about all this mansy pansy, "I don't know if I would call a .....yada yada" (not a direct quote) BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the play, judge the play and move the h3ll on. Often, being a nice guy to one team, player or coach means you are sticking it to the other team, player or coach.

This was fun, we should do it again sometime.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:01am
Huck Finn

Quote:
It's entirely possible that the officials were surprised, couldn't think of an explanation for a call, so didn't make one ("don't make a cal you can't explain")
BTW, this is the words deleted by poster comment that prompted my question. Everyone misses/blows calls - they don't need a virtual shoulder rub. I don't think we were accusing them of a crime; we were just discussing the play after seeing the video.

Looking into my crystal ball, and thinking of past events, I predict a parting shot from Mr. Jenkins and then the thread will be locked.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, this is the words deleted by poster comment that prompted my question. Everyone misses/blows calls - they don't need a virtual shoulder rub. I don't think we were accusing them of a crime; we were just discussing the play after seeing the video.

Looking into my crystal ball, and thinking of past events, I predict a parting shot from Mr. Jenkins and then the thread will be locked.
I stand by my original statement.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:27am
Huck Finn

It's entirely possible that the officials were surprised, couldn't think of an explanation for a call, so didn't make one ("don't make a cal you can't explain")

Aren't the words in pink your original statement?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Aren't the words in pink your original statement?
Yes.

I stand by my "I stand by my original statement" statement.

I really don't know WTF you are asking.

AFAIK, there were two questions in this thread:

1) What should the correct call have been? I have no opinion on this. I didn't see the play and it's been debated ad nauseum here.

2) Why didn't the officials make a call? Options:

a) there was no call to make (see question 1)
b) they didn't see it
c) they were surprised by the play and an explanation did not spring immediately to mind. We are all taught it's better to miss something that happened rather than call something that didn't happen. A "that looked ugly so it had to be something" call (that turns out to be wrong) is going to be a major black mark on an official.

I'm only suggesting that option C is a reasonable explanation for the no-call.

I don't really give a dam* whether you think it is or not.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
You know, that is cute and all - I dig the whole fury of the moderator thing and all that jazz. The only problem is I wasn't so much talking about what you say as far as the board is concerned as I was talking about what you would do on the court. Your main problem barking up this tree is I'm not an internet official. I am more than capable of backing up anything I say on the court. I don't give a rat's A$$ if you can type it, do you have the intestinal fortitude to do it on the court?

Being an a-hole on the court is often necessary because what we do isn't always popular. I don't look to take the path of least resistance, I choose the path that is right for the game. I know I'm not an a-hole off the court so you don't have to deny you ever called me anything.

I was just concerned about all this mansy pansy, "I don't know if I would call a .....yada yada" (not a direct quote) BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the play, judge the play and move the h3ll on. Often, being a nice guy to one team, player or coach means you are sticking it to the other team, player or coach.

And it seems that your main problem here is that you ARE judging someone else to be an internet official without having any knowledge of that persons true ability (true identity just sounded too comic-bookish to use here)...you have done that before on this board. Those of us who "know" Bob know his accomplishments and admire him for them...there was a question asked, he gave his answer, and you didn't like it because it wasn't something you could ague or b!tch about...tough. It was a good answer...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I get it. If I call you a f***ing azzhole, then I'm a great official. I don't really know whether I can agree with that logic or not, but in the hope of improving as an official, I'll give it a try.

Tom, you're a f***ing azzhole.

Whoaaaaaa......it works.

Whee, me.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:35pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
And it seems that your main problem here is that you ARE judging someone else to be an internet official without having any knowledge of that persons true ability (true identity just sounded too comic-bookish to use here)...you have done that before on this board. Those of us who "know" Bob know his accomplishments and admire him for them...there was a question asked, he gave his answer, and you didn't like it because it wasn't something you could ague or b!tch about...tough. It was a good answer...
If you look back over this thread you will see that many others gave their opinion of the play before we heard the soft/unconfrontational/reaching opinion so a differing opinion isn't my problem at all.

I KNOW their are some internet officials among us; I don't think I said Bob was one, I think I said I'm not one. Let me also say this, and it has nothing to do with Bob specifically. It would be a mistake to automatically assume accomplishments equal ability. Like I said, so you don't twist it later, that has nothing to do specifically with Bob. If you really know Bob, that is cool, but I hope you really know him when you say that and not just communicate with him through a discussion board. I've said that before and I still believe it.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:40pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I get it. If I call you a f***ing azzhole, then I'm a great official. I don't really know whether I can agree with that logic or not, but in the hope of improving as an official, I'll give it a try.

Tom, you're a f***ing azzhole.

Whoaaaaaa......it works.

Whee, me.
I would like to think you are only having some fun - like me, but I don't see where you are getting this from. I never said that anyone was a good, great or better official for calling me an a-hole. Also, I never said that anyone was a good, great or better official for being an a-hole on the court. What I said, and I quote myself, "Being an a-hole on the court is often necessary because what we do isn't always popular." You might like to call it an a-hole, jerk, prick or anything else, but can you say this statement isn't true?