The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Team control or not

Correct call or not:

Team A inbounding the ball. A1 called for illegal screen before the ball was inbounded (probably before the ball was released by the inbounder, if it matters. But I'm not sure on that issue)

Ref awards bonus free throw opportunity to Team B.

He very clearly (and after discussion with the other ref) was saying that because the ball was never inbounded team control was never obtained and therefore Team B should shoot. Another Dad (who is a ref) and I questioned the call at a timeout in a very respectful and polite manner. And he seemed very sure.

Was he correct?

I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm not a rules wizard like you guys and gals in here - Just a fan of the game. He seemed clear on the rule - so no reason to doubt him.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yep he was correct under NFHS rules.

In NCAA this would be a team control foul and there would not be free throws shot.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My partner and I kicked this call early in the season in a girls AAU game. We didn't shoot on a block called against the throwing team.

There is no team control during a throwin, shot, or jump ball; so free throws would be shot for common fouls if they occur after the bonus has been reached by the appropriate team.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

All_Heart is correct, and does mention the difference in the NF and NCAA rules.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

When the NCAA first implemented the team control foul there was no team control during a throw-in and thus bonus FTs were shot for fouls during throw-ins that first season. The NCAA decided that they didn't like it and changed the definition of team control for the next season so that no FTs were awarded for these fouls.
The following year the NFHS added the team control foul, but did it in the same manner in which the NCAA first did it. A number of us here wondered why they would fail to learn from the NCAA's mistake and not just write the rule to include throw-ins in the first place. As of this date, they still have not made a change for throw-ins although it is going to discussed at the annual NFHS rules meeting.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:26am
Lighten up, Francis.

I personally don't like tinkering with the definition of team control. When you do that, you have to change the rules for backcourt violations, the 10-second count,etc. If you want to include throw-ins as team control fouls, then I would rather simply call it an "offensive foul" (like the NBA) and define it to include fouls when a team has control and fouls during throw-ins. JMHO.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I personally don't like tinkering with the definition of team control. When you do that, you have to change the rules for backcourt violations, the 10-second count,etc. If you want to include throw-ins as team control fouls, then I would rather simply call it an "offensive foul" (like the NBA) and define it to include fouls when a team has control and fouls during throw-ins. JMHO.
I think you can just change the team-control foul rule:

A team control foul is a common foul committed by a member of the team that has either team control or has the ball at its disposal for a throw-in or free-throw.

As an aside, I definately got this question wrong on the IAABO new member exam two seasons ago because of my experience with NCAA. I most certainly want to see this rule changed to match!
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I think you can just change the team-control foul rule:

A team control foul is a common foul committed by a member of the team that has either team control or has the ball at its disposal for a throw-in or free-throw.

As an aside, I definately got this question wrong on the IAABO new member exam two seasons ago because of my experience with NCAA. I most certainly want to see this rule changed to match!
Mark, Scrappie is right. When TC was changed to include throw-ins they needed to change other rules related to team control. But I like it much better the way it is now.