The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Origin of the jump stop?

I'm having a discussion with a friend who is not an official. He claims (based on nothing in particular) that the jump stop rule came about because players in the mid-90s started using this move, which was flashy and exciting, so the NCAA adopted a rule to allow it. In other words, under the old traveling rules, the jump stop actually wouldn't be allowed.

Anyone have any insight as to the history of the jump stop rule so I can ejumacate this dude?

Thanks.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I used the move on occasion in the late 70's in high school. Sometimes it was called a travel, most of the time it wasn't.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

The jump stop was invented by Al Gore, along with the internet and global warming.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 04:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Lord knows players in the 80s weren't flashy or athletic enough to do the jump stop. Sounds like your friend has bought into some sort of myth.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
I'm having a discussion with a friend who is not an official. He claims (based on nothing in particular) that the jump stop rule came about because players in the mid-90s started using this move, which was flashy and exciting, so the NCAA adopted a rule to allow it. In other words, under the old traveling rules, the jump stop actually wouldn't be allowed.

Anyone have any insight as to the history of the jump stop rule so I can ejumacate this dude?

Thanks.
It was invented by a fella named Diebler.
(Using phrases like "so I can ejumacate this dude" will only lead to further name calling and suspicion).
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:11pm
Huck Finn

I invented the Jump Stop in 1990. I'm sick of everyone else taking credit for this move! If these young kids could shoot a pull-up jumper, outside shot and do the jump stop they would be something else.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:12pm
Huck Finn

Oh I forgot something....
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12

Well, you can start by telling him that the applicable traveling rule, which is 4-44-1,2,3&4, hasn't changed one iota since I started officiating---in 1959/60.

Your friend is full of doodoo iow.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, you can start by telling him that the applicable traveling rule, which is 4-44-1,2,3&4, hasn't changed one iota since I started officiating---in 1959/60.

lol...

Thanks, JR
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 06:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

JR:

1959!! Come on. You are not that old. I started officiating in 1971 and I AM that old.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
JR:

1959!! Come on. You are not that old. I started officiating in 1971 and I AM that old.

MTD, Sr.
Did my first high school varsity football game that fall - at the age of 15. Did my first varsity basketball game shortly after I turned 16. It was a completely different world back then when it came to officiating, Mark.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

The rumor around here is that Tom Penders when he coached the Texas "Runnin" Horns - as they were called then - in the late '80s/ early '90s was the first NCAA coach to challenge the officials/NCAA that the jump stop was not a travel. He seems to take credit for making it widely acceptable.

I do not know if any of this is true as I did not follow Texas sports until '93. Just stating what I have heard.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think they were still using a peach bucket when it was first done.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
The rumor around here is that Tom Penders when he coached the Texas "Runnin" Horns - as they were called then - in the late '80s/ early '90s was the first NCAA coach to challenge the officials/NCAA that the jump stop was not a travel. He seems to take credit for making it widely acceptable.

I do not know if any of this is true as I did not follow Texas sports until '93. Just stating what I have heard.
The amount of crap you get out of a longhorn is incredible.

While we're on the subject, I can't remember seeing a longhorn with only one horn, yet you don't call them longhorns unless you are talking in the plural. As in, "there is a longhorn", yet both horns are long. I never hear, "there is a longhorns". Any idea on that ATXCoach?
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Don't you know????

Old School invented the jump stop.

As well as the "Old School philosophy" on refereeing. (Tower who?!?!)

As well as the Old School Stare of ...... (tm).

C'mon guys!!! Geez!!! Old School is my hero!!!