The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Origin of the jump stop? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32889-origin-jump-stop.html)

DC_Ref12 Mon Mar 19, 2007 03:42pm

Origin of the jump stop?

I'm having a discussion with a friend who is not an official. He claims (based on nothing in particular) that the jump stop rule came about because players in the mid-90s started using this move, which was flashy and exciting, so the NCAA adopted a rule to allow it. In other words, under the old traveling rules, the jump stop actually wouldn't be allowed.

Anyone have any insight as to the history of the jump stop rule so I can ejumacate this dude?

Thanks.

blindmanwalking Mon Mar 19, 2007 03:49pm

I used the move on occasion in the late 70's in high school. Sometimes it was called a travel, most of the time it wasn't.

MajorCord Mon Mar 19, 2007 04:34pm

The jump stop was invented by Al Gore, along with the internet and global warming. :D

Adam Mon Mar 19, 2007 04:50pm

Lord knows players in the 80s weren't flashy or athletic enough to do the jump stop. Sounds like your friend has bought into some sort of myth.

SamIAm Mon Mar 19, 2007 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
I'm having a discussion with a friend who is not an official. He claims (based on nothing in particular) that the jump stop rule came about because players in the mid-90s started using this move, which was flashy and exciting, so the NCAA adopted a rule to allow it. In other words, under the old traveling rules, the jump stop actually wouldn't be allowed.

Anyone have any insight as to the history of the jump stop rule so I can ejumacate this dude?

Thanks.

It was invented by a fella named Diebler.
(Using phrases like "so I can ejumacate this dude" will only lead to further name calling and suspicion).

tomegun Mon Mar 19, 2007 05:11pm

I invented the Jump Stop in 1990. I'm sick of everyone else taking credit for this move! If these young kids could shoot a pull-up jumper, outside shot and do the jump stop they would be something else.

tomegun Mon Mar 19, 2007 05:12pm

Oh I forgot something....:D

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 19, 2007 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12

Well, you can start by telling him that the applicable traveling rule, which is 4-44-1,2,3&4, hasn't changed one iota since I started officiating---in 1959/60.

Your friend is full of doodoo iow.

DC_Ref12 Mon Mar 19, 2007 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, you can start by telling him that the applicable traveling rule, which is 4-44-1,2,3&4, hasn't changed one iota since I started officiating---in 1959/60.

lol...

Thanks, JR

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Mar 19, 2007 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

JR:

1959!! Come on. You are not that old. I started officiating in 1971 and I AM that old.

MTD, Sr.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 19, 2007 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
JR:

1959!! Come on. You are not that old. I started officiating in 1971 and I AM that old.

MTD, Sr.

Did my first high school varsity football game that fall - at the age of 15. Did my first varsity basketball game shortly after I turned 16. It was a completely different world back then when it came to officiating, Mark.

ATXCoach Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:40pm

The rumor around here is that Tom Penders when he coached the Texas "Runnin" Horns - as they were called then - in the late '80s/ early '90s was the first NCAA coach to challenge the officials/NCAA that the jump stop was not a travel. He seems to take credit for making it widely acceptable.

I do not know if any of this is true as I did not follow Texas sports until '93. Just stating what I have heard.

MJT Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:31pm

I think they were still using a peach bucket when it was first done. :D

SamIAm Tue Mar 20, 2007 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXCoach
The rumor around here is that Tom Penders when he coached the Texas "Runnin" Horns - as they were called then - in the late '80s/ early '90s was the first NCAA coach to challenge the officials/NCAA that the jump stop was not a travel. He seems to take credit for making it widely acceptable.

I do not know if any of this is true as I did not follow Texas sports until '93. Just stating what I have heard.

The amount of crap you get out of a longhorn is incredible.

While we're on the subject, I can't remember seeing a longhorn with only one horn, yet you don't call them longhorns unless you are talking in the plural. As in, "there is a longhorn", yet both horns are long. I never hear, "there is a longhorns". Any idea on that ATXCoach?

SeanFitzRef Tue Mar 20, 2007 09:07am

Don't you know????

Old School invented the jump stop.

As well as the "Old School philosophy" on refereeing. (Tower who?!?!)

As well as the Old School Stare of ...... (tm).

C'mon guys!!! Geez!!! Old School is my hero!!!

:p