The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Looking for whether a blocked shot is goaltending or not, what camera angle do they use? (to see if the ball is on downward flight)

The behind-the-basket one!
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 08:16am
Suppref

New Mechanic?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Looking for whether a blocked shot is goaltending or not, what camera angle do they use? (to see if the ball is on downward flight)

The behind-the-basket one!
Maybe the future holds to having another official behind each backboard, like hockey!!! That means more assignments in the post season for those of us who do not work
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Watching one of the NIT games last night, whistle blows
with the ball in the front court, lead comes out
with a player control signal. The camera's on the
ref with his hand behind his head and the announcer says
"Looks like they got 'em for the walk!" Where do they
get these guys from????
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I saw that game (Utah-Memphis St.) and wondered the very same thing when the official clearly had PC and the announcer said he called a travel. Makes you wonder if they even watch the game.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Not to defend the billy packers of the world, but has anyone worked a game for tv or radio? Do they have monitors or do they have to watch the floor? If they don't have monitors maybe they get blocked out frequently.

But in this case it sounds like the guy needs the page of signals in the back of the book.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite was the WAC final at about midnight EST. The announcer kept commenting on how he thought despite the fact it was 2 am in Hawaii, everyone was up watching the game. He never realized that it was dinner hour in Hawaii. Must have commented on this 3-4 times throughout the game.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not to defend the billy packers of the world, but has anyone worked a game for tv or radio? Do they have monitors or do they have to watch the floor? If they don't have monitors maybe they get blocked out frequently.
I have done a couple of tv games and they have a monitor right in front of them. If it can be seen on tv they can see it too. The official went right to a PC signal--very distinct, very clear. The announcer was just not paying very much attention.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: New Mechanic?

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
Maybe the future holds to having another official behind each backboard, like hockey!!! That means more assignments in the post season for those of us who do not work
Joke the refs and I shared before conference semi-final games between my school and a local rival, I asked if we were actually having a 3-person crew. Their response: a five-person crew - 3 on the floor, and 1 to watch each bench.

Of course, the other option for more officials would be the 4-man or barcalounger system - one chair at each corner of the gym.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 08:06am
Suppref

Re: Re: New Mechanic?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
Joke the refs and I shared before conference semi-final games between my school and a local rival, I asked if we were actually having a 3-person crew. Their response: a five-person crew - 3 on the floor, and 1 to watch each bench.

Of course, the other option for more officials would be the 4-man or barcalounger system - one chair at each corner of the gym.
Mark with all the action above the rim these days maybe we can learn the trapeze!!!
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I have not worked on camera but, I have worked JV on a night the varsity was on camera. We had a play where we were debating whether an over and back call was correct. When we saw the TV coverage, they had the under the basket camera running when the play happened. Some help they were. It was a rebound that went into back court. I thought the play was called wronge but we will never know because of the director. I think most announcers only look at the monitors to watch the replays. The are usually watching the live action.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Good one from Sat. Night

Watching the end of an OT game in the women's 1st round tournament.

One team is down by about 4 with 1 min to go, and is obviously in foul mode.

B1 comes up to A1 (ball handler), gives a little grab on the wrist and a push in the back. Intentional foul called. What does the announcer say? That can't be an intentional because (a) A1 had the ball (b) B1 was playing the ball (it wasn't a behind-the-back dribble when I saw it).

I think they get these guys the same place they get lawyers (if you don't know the joke, I'm not saying it.)
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 07:57am
Suppref

Re: Good one from Sat. Night

Quote:
Watching the end of an OT game in the women's 1st round tournament.

I think they get these guys the same place they get lawyers (if you don't know the joke, I'm not saying it.)
I will... What do you call 25 lawyers sky diving?

Skeet!! apologies to any forum member who may be lawyers!
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I was thinking a different joke - a rather off-color one.

Never heard the sky-diving one, though.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 08:00am
Suppref

Talking How about....

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking a different joke - a rather off-color one.

Never heard the sky-diving one, though.
What's the difference between a laywer and a catfish?

One is a bottom dwelling, scumsucking, lowlife, and the other is a fish!
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Talking Not to pile on, but..

Q: What do you call a lawyer buried up to his neck in sand?

A: Not enough sand.

Q: What do you call a hundred lawyers chained together at the bottom of the ocean?

A: A good start.