Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:11pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Not if you are watching his feet which is what you have to watch to see if he is set. Owe and there's just one little flaw in your analogy, actually there's way more than that but for now we will just focus on this one. What if the offensive player is already airborn? If you are just watching the defense, you would never know!

Just give it a rest. I have been doing this way too long for these little BS points you keep coming up with. I'm okay with you calling an offensive foul here. I'm not okay with you saying just referee the defense. That's wrong! Game deciding situation, I'm taking everything into consideration. One reason, just one small reason that if you used the other side of your brain, you might just realize. What if the replay clearly showed the offensive player airborn and you got an offensive foul? Do you realize how close you where to having just that happen here! A split-second! You would have never saw it if you are focus on the defender. The tape don't lie either! Game deciding situation, I'm the Lead, I'm watching the play. I ain't watching nobody feet here. Waist up! IMHO....

Old School:

Offensive foul? I did not know the play that started this thread was from a game being played under NBA/WNBA rules. I thought the play that started this thread was a high school game played under NFHS rules. I did not see an offensive foul. I saw a charging foul committed by a player in control of the ball which made the charging foul a player control foul.

If you read the NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, FIBA, and NBA/WNBA rules codes, you will not find a definition for an offensive foul in the NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, and FIBA rules codes, but you will find a definition for an offensive foul in the NBA/WNBA rules codes.

Please use correct terminology when discussing a play. Using the term offensive foul when describing a player control foul for a game played under NFHS rules tells everybody that you do not know the rules of basketball.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
One of the problem I have with your way of interpreting this rule is that it doesn't stand up to criterism.

Old School:

It is not my way of interpreting the rule. Read the Casebook too. I told you the history of the rule and what the Rules Committee wants of us. You just do not have a clue do you.

I am trying very hard not to get mean and sarcastic with you but you are like Frank Burns, you just invite it because are who you are.

By the way: What is "criterism?"

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If you don't like bang-bang plays, sit in the stands and yell at the refs.
In other words, carry on with what he's been doing?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I am trying very hard not to get mean and sarcastic with you but you are like Frank Burns, you just invite it because are who you are.
Ferret Face?!!!!? ROTFLMAO!
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Old School:

Offensive foul? I did not know the play that started this thread was from a game being played under NBA/WNBA rules. I thought the play that started this thread was a high school game played under NFHS rules. I did not see an offensive foul. I saw a charging foul committed by a player in control of the ball which made the charging foul a player control foul.

If you read the NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, FIBA, and NBA/WNBA rules codes, you will not find a definition for an offensive foul in the NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, and FIBA rules codes, but you will find a definition for an offensive foul in the NBA/WNBA rules codes.

Please use correct terminology when discussing a play. Using the term offensive foul when describing a player control foul for a game played under NFHS rules tells everybody that you do not know the rules of basketball.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, the world is not coming to an end, believe me, it's not just yet. You also need to get out more. People are not perfect, players are not perfect, and god help us all, officials are not perfect. The rulebooks are not perfect. If they where, they wouldn't have to change the rules every year. If you want to say there is no such thing as an offensive foul in NFHS, then so be it. I vote we make that a man law.

Owe, and that last statement you just made. "Using the term offensive foul when describing a player control foul for a game played under NFHS rules tells everybody that you do not know the rules of basketball." No it only tells the officials because we are truly the only ones that care. The annoucers, the fans, the coaches, the players, even the bugs in the ceiling will know we're going the other way. That's got to be up there with one of the dumbest things I ever read on this forum.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's got to be up there with one of the dumbest things I ever read on this forum.
As hard as I look, I can't find a single poster who can crack the top 20. One character seems to have a monopoly on this prize; and Mr. MTD hasn't ever even come close.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Mark, the world is not coming to an end, believe me, it's not just yet. You also need to get out more. People are not perfect, players are not perfect, and god help us all, officials are not perfect. The rulebooks are not perfect. If they where, they wouldn't have to change the rules every year. If you want to say there is no such thing as an offensive foul in NFHS, then so be it. I vote we make that a man law.

Owe, and that last statement you just made. "Using the term offensive foul when describing a player control foul for a game played under NFHS rules tells everybody that you do not know the rules of basketball." No it only tells the officials because we are truly the only ones that care. The annoucers, the fans, the coaches, the players, even the bugs in the ceiling will know we're going the other way. That's got to be up there with one of the dumbest things I ever read on this forum.

Old School:

I do not care what the players, coaches, fans, or announcers call it, I expect the rules professionals to use correct terminology. When an official does not use correct terminology it makes people wonder if he really knows his subject. It is like knowing that a personal foul is a contact foul that is committed while the ball is live. No contact foul while the ball is live can be a technical foul: It may be a flagrant foul, an intentional foul, a common foul, a foul committed against a player in the act of shooting, a team control foul, or a player control foul (by the way a player control foul is a team control foul but a team control foul is not necessarliy a player control foul, but in either case they are common fouls).

I am a structural engineer, and using correct terminology is a sign of professionalism, whether you are a sports official, a medical doctor, an dentist, an engineer, mathematician, physicists, etc. So get with the program. If you are going to run with the big dogs, start conduction yourself like one.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
As hard as I look, I can't find a single poster who can crack the top 20. One character seems to have a monopoly on this prize; and Mr. MTD hasn't ever even come close.

Snaqwells:

Thank you for you kind comment. My check will be in the mail tomorrow.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I could bookmark my place in the thread so it would be easier to get back to where I was from day to day.

Personally Old School is a god send for me .. hopefully by the time this is all said and done, everybody will have forgot about my foot and all it's parts comment, and I will once again fall into the good graces of the brain trust and get a couple of questions answered.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Just write down the post # of the last one you read.

PS What foot comment?
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 01:03am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
I wish I could bookmark my place in the thread so it would be easier to get back to where I was from day to day.
When there are new messages in a thread, there is a little blue icon with a white V that appears to the left of the bolded thread title. Clicking on this icon will take you to the first unread message of the thread.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 05:53am

Quote:
Suck up! That tells me everything i need to know about you and your posts.

Last edited by Old School; Tue Mar 20, 2007 at 06:20am.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 06:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Shuck up! That tells me everything i need to know about you and your posts.
"Shuck up"?

"Shuck up"?

That tells me everything I need to know about you and your posts.
Closed Thread