The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Watta ya got video?

Tie game...winner to state...watta ya got?

http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-8578135c.html
Richland, WA
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

block or no call.

me personally no call here.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Block and shooting one
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Watch the slo-mo and you will see that defender is set before A1 is airborne.

Gutsy call. It could go either way, but I see nothing to indicate that the call was wrong.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Man, that is a close one, Dudey. I wish that I could freeze-frame that one. It looks like the defender just got his outside foot down while the shooter still had a foot on the court. The ball was still in the shooter's hand when the contact occurred too. You can't no-call it because of that imo.

Soooooo....that makes it a charge, and a good call. Tough call.

Your game? Your call?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, there is too much contact to no call. I agree that the right call was made. Great defensive help.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I had player control on the live action, and the slo-mo replay confirmed it. A train wreck like that definitely requires a call. That's why we get the big bucks.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

definate charge
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:27pm

Gentlemen, I got a block on that play. Defender too late getting there. Maybe it's because of college, but in the NBA and college, both men and women, this is a block! The only way I would call a PC is if the guy was standing there when he made his move from the top. Running over there from the other side while the offensive player is already into his final move is too late defense, a block. IMHO, restricted area or not, he got there to late.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Man, that is a close one, Dudey. I wish that I could freeze-frame that one. It looks like the defender just got his outside foot down while the shooter still had a foot on the court. The ball was still in the shooter's hand when the contact occurred too. You can't no-call it because of that imo.

Soooooo....that makes it a charge, and a good call. Tough call.

Your game? Your call?
JR...you are so right! (on all counts) It was a close one...and it was my game and my call.

You can freeze-frame it if you put the pointer on the moving "slide-ball"...after viewing it I felt a little better. I see the defender having both feet set a fraction of a second before the dribbler becomes an airborne shooter.

I couldn't see no-calling it either...both players on the ground, something had to be called, IMO. (Add insult to injury...5th foul on dribbler...he doesn't get to even play in the OT) Also, isn't it Fed philosophy if an official has a close "block/charge" call and isnt' sure...go with the charge?

Sidenote: I know both player's father's very well. I just talked to the dribbler's father today, (we have worked for the same company for years), he is a class act...smiling, he said it was a tough call and that's the way it goes. He said he hasn't even looked at the video.
The defender's father is a part time official in our association...I haven't heard from him...yet. (Of course the white team just got back from state...taking 6th place...losing to the team that knocked out the orange team, in regionals, the very next night.)

Here is the dribbler's interview after the game...a three sport superstar player and class act, IMO. (The player that is shouted to, just going up the stairs, is Jason Munns...going to BYU on a football scolarship.) (He played for the white team)
http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-8574709c.html
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Tue Mar 13, 2007 at 04:36pm.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

The calling official sold me, but I could see it going either way. I guess this would be an excellent example of refereeing the defense?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a charge. No way you no-call that IMO
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Running over there from the other side while the offensive player is already into his final move is too late defense, a block. IMHO, restricted area or not, he got there to late.
Rule reference(s)?

How big is the restricted area?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

In real time, I got a block. It's close, but I got the block. game over.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

It is possible to freeze this video. Just pause it and then use the left and right arrow keys to move through the video frame by frame.

You can tell which foot belongs to who because the two players are wearing different styles of shoes; the Southridge player has broad blue stripe on his shoes.

In the frame just before the Kennewick player has both feet off the floor you can see that the Southridge player's left foot is not yet completely set on the floor, it looks to me like his heel is still up. It is also clear that the Kennewick player has started his shooting motion. In the next frame the Kennewick player has both feet off of the floor and it appears the the Southridge player's left food is now flat on the floor, but his left leg is at an angle and it appears that he is not vertical (I don't know if that matters or not, just throwing it in the mix). The next frame shows the Kennewick player in the air with the ball over his head, you can tell that the Southridge player's torso is still moving laterally toward the baseline as you now begin to see his left shoulder area. In the next frame the Kennewick player is still moving up (and presumably forward), you see a little more of the Southridge player's torso indicating that he is still moving laterally toward the baseline. Contact may have occurred in this frame, it's not clear. The next frame shows the ball has just left the Kennewick player's right hand and it's clear that contact has occurred.

Assuming that I got all that correct, does it change anyone's opinion?
Closed Thread