The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal foul shot?

Hi,
I have a question about free throws. How far does a person have to bring the ball up while shooting a foul shot before it's considered an illegal pump fake or illegal shot attempt?

For instance, a kid is shooting a free throw and he brings the ball up to his chin and then brings it down again before he shoots the ball. He makes the shot, but the ref calls it illegal and the other team gets the ball. Is this right?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
Hi,
I have a question about free throws. How far does a person have to bring the ball up while shooting a foul shot before it's considered an illegal pump fake or illegal shot attempt?

For instance, a kid is shooting a free throw and he brings the ball up to his chin and then brings it down again before he shoots the ball. He makes the shot, but the ref calls it illegal and the other team gets the ball. Is this right?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
When it comes to free throws, I've seen kids with some wierd mechanics, and at times take almost the allotted 10 seconds to shoot because of of their pre-shot quirks and rituals. I wasn't there to see the ball to the chin in this instance, so I can't say what to call, but I've seen players do this as part of their FT mechanic. IMO, a fake would need to be done with the arms going to that player's normal release point and then brought back down in a pumping motion. If he throws the head fake too, then it makes the call even easier. My .02.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have rarely seen this, but usually I will wait and see if any "fake" pulls a defender into the lane early. If it looks like a fake to me, but no one bites, I've got nothing, but if it draws the defender in early, then I'll call the violation on the shooter.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Since they started holding players in their assigned spaces until the ball hits the rim or backboard, it's got to be a pretty serious fake before I call it. Even then, only if it actually draws a defender into a violation.
Not having seen the play, it's hard to say for sure; but it sure feels like someone found a new rule when he was reading the book.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
Hi,

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
If the Ref called it illegal he must have interpreted the motion as a fake which is defined by Rule 9-1-4. However, in case situation 9.1.4 it states "The faking of a free throw try is a violation. However, if A1 does not feel comfortable after starting his/her motion and stops to adjust, the players in the lane spaces are expected to hold their positions."

It really becomes a judgement call, if in the Ref's opinion, the shooter intentionally tried to cause the players in the lane to jump. imo
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
It really becomes a judgement call, if in the Ref's opinion, the shooter intentionally tried to cause the players in the lane to jump. imo
It's only a violation if an opponent actually violates because of the fake. If no one violates, no call. Not a bad idea to maybe let the FT shooter quietly know that you knew what he was trying to do though.

NFHS rule 9-1-4--"The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate".
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Good explanation JR. The rule initially seemed to state two actions being the violation; one to fake a throw and two to fake a jump. Now I see the complete thought being, as you stated, the fake causes the opponent to violate.
Thanks
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It's only a violation if an opponent actually violates because of the fake. If no one violates, no call. Not a bad idea to maybe let the FT shooter quietly know that you knew what he was trying to do though.

NFHS rule 9-1-4--"The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate".
This rule had more significance when players were allowed to enter the lane upon release of the ball. It was a very good rule because the release of the ball was an unknown...anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. Additionally, the throwing team members knew the quirks of the free throw shooter and could also benefit by a fake.

Then the committee changed the rule to require players to wait until the ball hits the rim/backboard. That is a very specifically defined criteria to enter the lane. There is no question about WHEN the ball hits and for anyone to be in the lane before that should be penalized. Faking by either the free thrower or by anyone in the marked lane spaces should never be a factor. The only reason I should enter the lane is because the ball hit the rim, not because I followed someone else.

I have written to have 9-1-4 deleted and penalize any violations of entering too soon based on that specific action. The Penalty section for Rule 9-1 can be simplified greatly and still the balance between offense and defense can be maintained. No longer can any Violators cry "the devil made me do it".