The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling?

What is the rule on a shot that is taken, hits nothing and is retrieved by the shooter before it hits the ground? Traveling or no call?

We had a call in my son's game where the above happened and traveling was called. Later, a parent who is an official said that the above scenario was removed as a traveling call years ago.

Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

no call

I don't know when it was "removed" or if it ever was intended to be a travel...but no call is correct
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker John
What is the rule on a shot that is taken, hits nothing and is retrieved by the shooter before it hits the ground? Traveling or no call?

We had a call in my son's game where the above happened and traveling was called. Later, a parent who is an official said that the above scenario was removed as a traveling call years ago.

Thanks.
Unless your son was playing under NBA rules, then the "parent / official" was correct that the play was legal.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I’ll give it a go: Even though the shot did not hit the rim or backboard it is still considered a try for goal. Player control is lost once the try is attempted so the player can go for the rebound.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 04:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I have had to explain this one several times (wreck league).

No violation.

4.44.B As long the ref believes it is a try for goal, the shooter can dribble, pass, or shoot again.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

I help officiate a kid's Y league here in my town. One time last year I was working with a volunteer who happens to play aduld league with me and complains about calls more than his share. At one point a kid took a shot and missed everything. No one went after the ball so he went and grabbed it. My partner comes up with travelling. I walk over calmly and ask what he had called. He explained it quickly and I informed him that it was not a travel. We gave the ball back to the team that rebounded and played on. At half time I explained the rule to my partner and he hasn't complained about that call since in our league. One down, 500 to go.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks.

NFHS (high school rules):
Case Book play corresponding to Rule 4, Section 44:
4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. (4-12; 4-41)

NCAA (college rules):
Rule 4, Section 66:

A.R. 105.
A1 attempts a try at Team A’s basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? RULING: When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring or the flange, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule.

NBA (pro rules):
RULE NO. 10-VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
Section XIV-Traveling:...

i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 08:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
What is the rule on a shot that is taken, hits nothing and is retrieved by the shooter before it hits the ground?
The rule is that you now owe BktBallRef $5.

Seriously, as others have already told you, once a shot has been released, anybody can go it.