The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
A1 receives inbounds pass, then turns on his pivot foot to face upcourt. Jumps to make a pass when he realizes the intened recipient is not where he thought he would be. On the way down he throws the ball to the floor to start a dribble, then dribbles again. We call traveling as under 4.43.3c. After the game another official tells us this is not traveling. Am I misinterpreting this rule?
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

You got it right
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Correct. A pass or shot may occur after the pivot foot leaves the ground as long as it is released prior to that foot returning to the floor. However, a dibble must start with the ball leaving the hand(s) before the pivot foot is removed from the floor. Good call!
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
A1 receives inbounds pass, then turns on his pivot foot to face upcourt. Jumps to make a pass when he realizes the intened recipient is not where he thought he would be. On the way down he throws the ball to the floor to start a dribble, then dribbles again. We call traveling as under 4.43.3c. After the game another official tells us this is not traveling. Am I misinterpreting this rule?
And the reason this happened is because that other official doesn't know the rules.
It always puzzles me that people come up and tell you stuff like that when they are clearly wrong.
What is the thought process that these people have? They don't know the rules, they know that they don't know the rules, but they insist on telling other people that they got the call incorrect anyway.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the club. Good call. Nothing wrong with asking questions as we learn. When you see that play again you will get it right again. Don't forget to share the information. Peace.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
[
What is the thought process that these people have? They don't know the rules, they know that they don't know the rules,...
Nevada -- They don't know that they don't know the rules. The thought process is, "I'm the standard. How I do things is right, and everyone would be a lot happier if they'd just do it my way."