The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

State Championship Game mess up

Official calls a foul on the baseline on team A. 9th team foul and teams line up for 1 and 1 by team B. As the teams line up the other official who is admistering the free throw indicates two shots at the same time trail official is holding up the 1 and 1. I'm not sure if he thought the foul was in the act of shooting or that there was 10 fouls. Shot goes up and player from team B grabs an uncontested rebound and makes a basket. Whistle blows and player start to argue if it was two shots or 1 and 1. My question is what do you do now. The officials in this game got together and decided to take away the basket and go to an AP arrow which had team A getting the ball at the baseline. Was this the right proceedure.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
... Whistle blows and player start to argue if it was two shots or 1 and 1...
This a casebook play so how to remedy the situation is not that difficult. But what I want to know is did the officials really argue or this just an exxageration?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Players argued not the officials.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
Players argued not the officials.
Ooops, my bad.

My reading skills must be deteriorating.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, since B-1 was the only player to rebound the ball and have an uncontested layup. Going to the AP is correct.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

See 8.6.1 for the case play covering the situation.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Tell the player to shut up.
2. Go to the arrow.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

OFFICIALS PROVIDE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)

But what if it isn't and the player who got the rebound scored first as in the OP? I don't see any provision in the rules for cancelling that goal.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
OFFICIALS PROVIDE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)

But what if it isn't and the player who got the rebound scored first as in the OP? I don't see any provision in the rules for cancelling that goal.
Exactly, which is why the reference at the end of the ruling it reads (2-3).

Cancel the basket, go to the AP, they did. IMO, they handled it correctly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

So, if the isn't stopped right away, but the throw-in is completed and the ball is advanced to the division line where a foul occurs and only then is it brought to the attention of the officials are you still going to invoke 2-3 and cancel the goal?

What exactly is your timeline here?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quite honestly, it could be very difficult to kill it before the same thing happens that happened above. If it can be killed before the throw-in begins, I've got no problem handling it that way. Most likely, someone's going to be raising hell before it even gets to that point.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 09:18pm.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 09:29pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Quite honestly, it could be very difficult to kill it before the same thing happens that happened above. If it can be killed before the throw-in begins, I've got no problem handling it that way. Most likely, someone's going to be raising hell before it even gets to that point.
Whack the rebounder for failure to promptly return the ball to the official.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

forget the AP

nevermind the AP, close the books on this one!!!!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefereeAJ
nevermind the AP, close the books on this one!!!!
Huh? Care to elaborate?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

this was the 4A championship game for Idaho and the officials were having a nice ride until this little bobble; it was a play where it would have seemed obvious that it was a two shot foul; but turned out the calling official called the push in the back that happened right before the rebound and shot, so it was 1 and 1. I was sitting high in the bleachers and saw the administering referee say 2 shots and I new it was about to hit the fan if he missed the first shot; it was unfortunate but they handled the clean up as best they could; unfortunately the game kind of went into the crapper after that, not really there fault but there were a couple of hot heads. Just another reminder of how important communication is; I felt like the calling official should have been on top of things, he should have known he had surprised everyone when he called 1 and 1 and he should have been watching his partner carefully to make sure they were on the same page; but he relaxed, like we all do from time to time;