The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

IF there is all in life just to officiate..

If all there is to life is working a post season, then we have a very shallow life. A friend of mine had been selected to work post season college tournaments at the Men's NAIA, DIII, and DII levels. Kudo's to him and I am glad to see he is getting recognition. He is a good official. Today he was told that he will not be working the district finals. He went off. Although he gets to work the regional finals, that was not good enough. I just looked at him in amazement.

I know of an official who has worked over 20 plus years and has been in 6 different associations (due to his job moving him). He has always been in the top 10 in every association. He has worked high school up to DII. He has worked post-season in every association he has been in with in at least 2 years of being in that association. The most recent association is the exception. He has not been awarded a post season high school game for 5 years. He stopped doing college due to the amount of travel his business takes him. The majority of the officials in the association can't figure out why. Neither can I. The assignor will not respond to any direct questions about him. But, he is not ranting and raving that he didn't get a post season. He does the game for enjoyment. He does not compare himself with others. He does a great job. He tells me that he works hard as he can and leaves the results up to God.

I am starting to get irritated with officials complaining about what they get or don't get. Here are two qualified and outstanding officials: One cries because he doesn't get a playoff district game, one out of many post season he gets; the other thankful and grateful just having the opportunity to officiate.

Last edited by iref4him; Fri Mar 02, 2007 at 03:16pm.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Sad state. I feel for the guy who doesn't realize how good he has it.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I ref 4 him

I think it goes both ways regarding who gets certain assignments. I've seen inexperienced officials get post-season assignments over more experienced officials before they were ready and completely tank and hurt their careers for a while. I've also seen them do quite well and back up the assignor's decision.
I've also seen tons of assignments go to very veteran officials who might not be as skilled as their younger counterparts because assignors are reluctant to give them a chance. Both situations have frustrated me at times. As you move up and do higher levels, you represent both scenarios depending on the level. You could be the experienced HS official who gets looked over for the young hotshot and at the same time be the young hotshot at the college level.
I just try to work as hard as I can in every game so that if someone with power is watching they will always see my best...... Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.
Sometimes it's extremely difficult to do (preaching to the choir here), but I try to remind myself when things don't work out: Control what I can control, and if I'm not, then get better at it.

p.s. Just curious what area of the country were talking about?
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
I think it goes both ways regarding who gets certain assignments. I've seen inexperienced officials get post-season assignments over more experienced officials before they were ready and completely tank and hurt their careers for a while. I've also seen them do quite well and back up the assignor's decision.
I've also seen tons of assignments go to very veteran officials who might not be as skilled as their younger counterparts because assignors are reluctant to give them a chance. Both situations have frustrated me at times. As you move up and do higher levels, you represent both scenarios depending on the level. You could be the experienced HS official who gets looked over for the young hotshot and at the same time be the young hotshot at the college level.
I just try to work as hard as I can in every game so that if someone with power is watching they will always see my best...... Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.
Sometimes it's extremely difficult to do (preaching to the choir here), but I try to remind myself when things don't work out: Control what I can control, and if I'm not, then get better at it.

p.s. Just curious what area of the country were talking about?

Hey what camps are you going to?
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
Today he was told that he will not be working the district finals. He went off. Although he gets to work the regional finals, that was not good enough.
Been there. There's a guy in my association just a little younger than me (and I'm only 23) who had a great 06-07 season which included a selection to the AAA Girls provincial championships and a spot on the Canada West panel, and all he can think about is how he got "screwed" out of the AAA Boys regional championship game.

It blows the mind. It's nice to know there's an official in your area with the exact opposite mindset. Let us think more of officials like him and less of the self-important types.