Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Question

Hey Everyone,
My name is Pat from New Jersey. I am a frequent visitor to the Baseball forum and I poke around in the football forum. Ive been reffing recreational baseball for 6 years (i know, I was kinda thrown "into the fire" at age 11), basketball for two, and I wanted to try football. I love football, it is my favorite sport.
I am 17 years old, starting my senior year in high school and have wanted to get involved with officiating football.
My question is, is there any way that I can be able to ref by next season?(2005-2006) I would be starting my freshman year in college and by July 3rd, i will be 18.
Anything would be great, pop-warner or anything.
Ive somewhat collected football ref gear from when my brothers friends asked me to ref their pickup games. (NFL Watch, a few flags, blue & white beanbags, a couple fox40's, etc.... (When he plays tackle football in the snow, in the rain, two-hand touch)
I have most of the gear, ive studied the rulebook (NFHS), ive looked over the popwarner rules, i am following a group of officials to a few scrimmages to see what it feels like for a pre-game, etc....
What is the best way to get involved?
Thank you for your time.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
I have most of the gear, ive studied the rulebook (NFHS), ive looked over the popwarner rules, i am following a group of officials to a few scrimmages to see what it feels like for a pre-game, etc....
What is the best way to get involved?
Thank you for your time.
Join and organization and do it. Why sit on the sidelines and piddle around at the margins? Throw yourself into it and take the best games that you can get. The worst you can do is screw up and be blackballed.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Pat - check with the state high school athletics association. They can get you started. Join an officials association. They should have plenty there near you.

Good luck and have fun!
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Where in NJ are you, Pat? Several of the guys on this board are also in NJ and can likely put you in direct contact with the officials' organization.

Since you're still in HS, another good idea would be to talk to your school's A.D. - he'll know who the contact is for your area's organization.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I live in Somerset County. (North Plainfield) Anything to get me started in NJ would be great. Any suggestions on what to do to prepare for next year? Books? Video's? Tips? attending games? any advice would be great.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Pat,

All of the suggestions given above are good. You might want to contact the below as they will be able to direct you to the appropriate local association.

New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association
Route 130
P O Box 487
Robbinsville, NJ 08691-1104
ph: (609) 259-2776
fax: (609) 259-3047
http://www.njsiaa.org

SoGARef
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Yeah get going this year if you can. It may be a state rule that since you are still in HS that you will not be able to call varisty ball, possible JV as well. But at least you should be able to get going to Jr High and below (Pop Warner). That will get you onto a field and get some great experience.
Alot of associations will not let a rookie call varsity ball anyways so, even if you are ineligable to call it due to being in HS still, that will get that rookie year under your belt and possible allow you to call varsity ball next year.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Pat is accompanying my crew to our next few scrimmages. I'll be sure to get him pointed in the right direction...
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Pat is accompanying my crew to our next few scrimmages. I'll be sure to get him pointed in the right direction...
Pat,

Bob is a very knowledgable person from what I can discern from a discussion board. Listen to him and his crew and you will learn a great deal.

Good luck to you in this new advocation. It is a great deal of fun!
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

See how that works, Pat?

Veterans are good people. They'll help you out.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I see how it works. I am so excited to even work the chains. Anything to get me onto the field to see a better view of the game. Thanks Bob.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Another thing you can do is to actually officiate youth football. In most parts of North America you don't have to be 18 or 21 years old or a HS graduate to officiate: I've met 15-year-old baseball umpires, 14-year-old hockey referees, 17-year-old basketball referees, and even one 16-year-old football official.

The football official in question worked youth games in another organization, but he said that he couldn't wait to graduate from HS to start doing the games that paid, what he called, "Big Bucks." LOL! I'd ask the association you're following to get you in contact with the youth/Pop Warner assigner so that you can get on the field. It's not too late in the season, and the experience will be great.

-Craig
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Run the clock

Ask the local association if you can be a clock operator for some of the games in your area. You can attend the pre-game discussions and get a feel for what's involved in being an official.

You can also observe the mechanics of the game from the press box.

Get a copy of this year's test and a rule book.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG