Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Dan,

I am speaking for me. I am not speaking for you or any other official.
No sh1t Jeff and I am speaking for me.

Get it? You speak for you...I speak for me! Kinda nice how that works. And from now on you never have to remind me that you are speaking for you, because we've come to this understanding. You speak for you. I speak for me.

I'm gonna go buy some razors now, cu later
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
In my area (Houston), we have several organizations that have teams at several ages. The coaches have been doing it for years and know what they are doing. The play is far above regular school games for that age group. Of course, there are some that are not in the league. Usually its the assstant coaches that become fools, and I quick comment to the head coach to take care of it is usually enough.

AAU gives me good games to work on mechanics. Also, anything can and will happen in these games.
I am glad you and others with your good attitude DO officiate AAU. We need good officials at this level TOO. Any positive influence you can have on a child will only make them a better person as they get to higher levels. If all they see are screaming coaches and parents; they miss the best part of the sport. They need to learn to enjoy the game and challenge themselves and their personal skill levels..... not how to disrespect authority.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Maybe there is a reward for you. For me and many others, there is absolutely no reward. AAU might have decent talent, but there is little to no structure. Also we get more than enough basketball with HS teams and local HS leagues. Sometimes the leagues are better than most AAU because teams that play each other during the season play each other during regular season. The teams are actually running their offenses and defensive sets. In my case most officials that work them are accomplished officials. It is rare that I am working with a brand spanking new officials who has never seen ball at this level. I guess it just depends on where you live. No value as far as I am concerned other than money.

Peace
Well since you put it that way, then you are correct. But in this area it a big event and the teams are good, even down to the 7 & 8 year olds. Of course, you have your team that are not so good. I just work on things that keep me ahead of the game for high school. Some officials hang there stuff up and dont start again until October. Not me!!!
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

not to get off topic or anything but ow do you get on the list to work AAU games in central IL
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 04:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
not to get off topic or anything but ow do you get on the list to work AAU games in central IL
You take an IQ test. If you fail it, you're on the list.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 06:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
AAU is assigned so randomly that you just have to be in the right place at the right time. You either have to respond to the right email or be on the right person's lips after when assignments are being talked about. All you really can do is ask around and hope they have not assigned the games and they give you a shot. AAU is not assigned by one source or one place. If you ask around someone might pass your name on to the assignor, who often is a coach or an assignor that uses people they know that will be available.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you can go to their website and find the coordinator in your area. You can even apply to be a national official. Then you get to do the big stuff at Disney!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I sometimes enjoy doing AAU, if the quality of ball is high. My problem is time, my time is more valuable than the $15-$20 payed per game. Granted, I don't do it for the money, but spending time doing other things (kids, family, etc.) is more valuable to me.

What are some of the rates for doing AAU in your area?
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

You guys get paid for this!!! SWEET!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you are a new official it seems to me the only thing that people care about is the $$$$. What do AAU games typically pay in your area? We have officials in my area that work for $15-$20 per game.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 01:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnzebra
Unless you are a new official it seems to me the only thing that people care about is the $$$$. What do AAU games typically pay in your area? We have officials in my area that work for $15-$20 per game.
For our urban area (Hampton/Newport News) we are getting a raise to $20/game this year. Previously we were getting either $15 or $18 depending on the scope of the tournament.

For the surburban/rural county north of here (read: higher income base) they only have girls tournaments but they pay $28/game.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't do it for the money, but I wouldn't do it for free, either.
I won't be taking many (if any) middle school games here next year because it's not worth getting off work 2 hours early to work for $12.50/game. That's college intramural wages, I think, but you'd have to ask one of our other regular posters for that.
AAU pays $27.50/game here, and that's the same age level that pays $12.50 when tied to the schools. Not coincidentally, the AAU stuff is far more competitive and higher quality ball.
I'll probably be picking up some more this weekend; I'll be interested to see how the coaches I T'd last weekend behave.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

It's really nice when you do the girls and have to do all college mechanics & rules!!!!!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64
SUCH a privilege to work these types of games. I worked a couple of games a few weeks ago and about 2 minutes into the second quarter, I'm whacking one of the coaches. God's gift to coaching, I suppose. Typically these tournaments match an experienced guy with a warm body and we're able to get through them. There is little reward in working them however.
Pays for my summer camps.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Doing my first AAU games this weekend. Five games in all (I just need a little walk-around money, I'm trying to date 2 women at the same time). All Girls, 13U, the highest age group playing this weekend (I had that stipulation put in my contract ).

My dumba$$ did volunteer to work the 8am game Sunday morning not realizing that Daylight Savings gets in Saturday night so my a$$ is going to be hurting b/c I'm gonna be out bar & club hopping on Granby St in Norfolk Saturday evening.