The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Tournament parting shot

Did the final game of the President's Day tournament today. As I stated in an earlier post, this has "Elite" teams from all over the country in an 8th grade boys competition.

As I was leaving the court, some idiot parent (from the losing team, of course) came up to me and my partner and yelled at us that we "were terrible" and "should hang it up." Well, you know I couldn't resist.

I told him I only officiated so I could donate my fees to the orphanage that raised me and that they really needed the money. I said I knew that I'd wasn't able to do a good job anymore since the brain surgery, but my therapist said the exercise was good for me. I then asked him if he wanted to donate to the orphanage.

He just stared and then walked away. Darn - those kids really could have used a donation.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Well done I like that response
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

And he didn't even hang around long enough for you to stare at his pants and puke on his shoes..
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Very nice. I worked with a well known guy around here one summer that that in the same situation told the guy that the community service that is required for his probation required that he donate his time for kids and that his PO thinks the stress of refereeing is good for his anger management issues. I laughed at the look on the parent's face for weeks after that.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Beautiful!
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:47am
In Memoriam

You are a sick man, Mark.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
You are a sick man, Mark.
If everyone else is "normal", I prefer to be "sick".

Someday, when I feel like typing a novel, I'll share what happened 30 years ago when I played on a city league team. It was a similar situation to this one.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If everyone else is "normal", I prefer to be "sick".

Someday, when I feel like typing a novel, I'll share what happened 30 years ago when I played on a city league team. It was a similar situation to this one.
I'll buy it.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I'll buy it.
I was gonna wait for the movie.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I was gonna wait for the movie.
Maybe we can get Jon Diebler to play the lead.....
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Did the final game of the President's Day tournament today. As I stated in an earlier post, this has "Elite" teams from all over the country in an 8th grade boys competition.

As I was leaving the court, some idiot parent (from the losing team, of course) came up to me and my partner and yelled at us that we "were terrible" and "should hang it up." Well, you know I couldn't resist.

I told him I only officiated so I could donate my fees to the orphanage that raised me and that they really needed the money. I said I knew that I'd wasn't able to do a good job anymore since the brain surgery, but my therapist said the exercise was good for me. I then asked him if he wanted to donate to the orphanage.

He just stared and then walked away. Darn - those kids really could have used a donation.
You, sir, are my hero.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Maybe we can get Jon Diebler to play the lead.....
I'm sure Jon would've jumped at the chance, had he not left us so early. But my guess is one of them is way more handsome than the other, so it wouldn't be good casting. (Notice I didn't say which one...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

OK - here's the story. Years ago I worked at Montgomery Ward here in Portland. We had a basketball team that played in the Portland City League (Industrial Division, for some unknown reason). Our biggest "rival" was the team from Coca-Cola bottling (we also played against Freightliner). We had very rough games. One year, there was a fight during a game that involved our power forward, Marvin (last name omitted on purpose). Marvin was a former D1 player and was huge.

The next year, I went to register us for the league at the Portland Parks Bureau offices. There were a limited number of spots available so you had to get there really early and get in line. The office opened at 9:00 am and people started lining up at 6:00 am. We usually would have two or three guys go and take turns standing in line. That year, I went with Marvin. I got in line while he went for coffee. Coincidentally, the rep from Coca-Cola got right in line behind me. It just happened to be the guy who got into the fight with Marvin the season before. We started talking and I told him how much I appreciated him not reporting Marvin to his parole officer for the fight. The guy stared at me and asked me what I meant. I told him Marvin was out on parole for manslaughter, and that he had killed some guy in a bar fight. I told him the only reason Marvin hadn't come after him later was that he didn't know where he lived.

You should have seen his face! Just then, Marvin started coming towards us. The guy just took off! Marvin saw the guy run and asked me what was happening. I told him what I had said. He couldn't believe it, mostly because he was one of the nicest guys in the world and had only defended himself in that fight.

The upshot of the story is that their team missed the registration and we finished in first place that season.

I have another really funny Marvin story, but it's not appropriate to post.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
...You should have seen his face! ....
Ha! Explains a lot!
You've been in warp speed a long time.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If there will ever be a list of classic responses, this belongs on it. I plan to memorize your lines and try my best to use them at an appropriate moment this off season. Now I need to clean the Diet Dr. pepper off my monitor.