The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
First Summer Tournament!!

Well tonight I start my first summer tournament where I will be a Primary Ump for the Tournament. Out of 8 games I will be calling a minimum of 5. I will also be picking up a HS Summer game early Sat morning.

I have made some posts and read alot of posts on hydration and what not but I am just trying to see if there are other things in which I need to do to prepare myself.

Starting this afternoon I will be drinking alot of water, I am also curious what will be good things to maybe eat as to avoid cramping. It will be mid to high 90's both days of the weekend and about 95% humidity ( Thank You Panama City, Florida ), I will be calling 10am, 1pm, and 3:30pm both Sat and Sun, I am just trying to avoid any problems that I may encounter, me being a quite large guy heats can affect me quite negetively.

I would also appreciate some things that can be done that can help conserve energy as too make it where I stay focused and in control at all times. I am not looking for shortcuts during games just trying to find someways maybe in between innings and games that will help me to rejuvenate quicker.

I appreciate all responses that may come of this, again just asking some questions.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
In addition to remaining hydrated, keep up the electrolytes with Gatorade or powerade, whatever, and remember- Bananas, bananas, bananas. Keep the potassium levels up- less cramping.
Have fun!

Bainer.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Don't drink too much close to game time...the facilities aren't typically close to the field at the parks where I call.

Bring sunblock. Reapply after each game, including your EARS and the back of your neck. Remember to bring several change of undershirts.

Bring snacks, such as bananas. All the concession stand will have is junk and you don't want that in your stomach on a hot day.

How does a place like Panama City not have HUGE tournaments? Who wouldn't go there? I'd consider it, even driving from TN for the beaches and bikinis...

Last edited by orioles35; Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 10:12am.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

If you are a water guy, and don't like gatorade or powerade, ask for a couple of chips (really ... just a couple) between games. It's enough sodium to let the water work for you. You'd be surprised the bizarre looks I'd get from concessions when asking for just a couple of chips, and the number of times I still got a whole nacho-cup worth.

but it works.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget to wear your CamelBack
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

cute you got it man... I will make sure the camelback is present, just kidding of couse but thanx for the humor
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
How does a place like Panama City not have HUGE tournaments? Who wouldn't go there? I'd consider it, even driving from TN for the beaches and bikinis...
Well actually we receive alot of HUGE tournaments we will be getting 3 more this month just counting the baseball tourneys.... We also receive alot of the National USSSA tourneys. We definately stay busy in here in Panama City. This is our first tourney of the year then we start the marathon of games for about the next 2 months.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Another thing to keep cool

PCB, another thing that you can do to keep cool is this. Right before you leave for the games, put a couple of wash clothes or small dish towels into a small cooler with a good mix of ice and water. In between innings, get one and wipe you face, neck and head down. Some places carry something called a "cool wrap", it looks like one of the old pencil thin neck ties but has a asorbant material in the middle of it. Put these in the cooler as stated before, and every so often, get a cold one and chug, opps sorry, grabbed the WRONGthing out of the cooler . Place one of these around your neck, will work wonders on kepping you cool. You can actually tuck it in under your shirt coller so it doesn't show.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbump82
Right before you leave for the games, put a couple of wash clothes or small dish towels into a small cooler with a good mix of ice and water. In between innings, get one and wipe you face, neck and head down. Some places carry something called a "cool wrap", it looks like one of the old pencil thin neck ties but has a asorbant material in the middle of it. Place one of these around your neck, will work wonders on keeping you cool. You can actually tuck it in under your shirt coller so it doesn't show.
Put a couple tablespoons of spirits of ammonia in the slushy ice/water mix and you have a good mix.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation External Use Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Put a couple tablespoons of spirits of ammonia in the slushy ice/water mix and you have a good mix.
Careful not to drink it.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

yeah that sounds like drinking Drano
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Under shirt

If you have underarmour wear it.If you do not have any,Reebok makes similiar type shirts that work and are cheaper in price.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainer
In addition to remaining hydrated, keep up the electrolytes with Gatorade or powerade, whatever, and remember- Bananas, bananas, bananas. Keep the potassium levels up- less cramping.
Have fun!

Bainer.
While bananas get all the press, there are many foods with a higher postassium content including apricots, raisins, figs, dates.......

I prefer raisins...they are easier to carry and require less attention than bananas.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Jun 11, 2006 at 07:35pm.