The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRobinson
18 minute halves has been a great change in Minnesota. Coaches are learning to use their benches so that there is more participation which was one of the stated goals when they brought it in. Also it eliminates the holding of the ball at the end of the 1st and 3rd qtr. Games get into a great flow and play very smoothly.
Where are you from Jeff? This was not the case in the games I have worked, or the coaches I have talked to. I am from IA, but close to MN and worked about 6 games in MN the last few years. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mn

MJT
I am in the twin cities. I noticed the sloppiness more last year. Teams seem to have adjusted better this year. Where in IA are you?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Alton, IA. 2 miles from Orange City, and 50 miles south and a little east of Worthington. I didn't work any games this year, so maybe it has been improving.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Where is it on the site? Can you post that link? I joined, but cannot seem to find the questionnaire. Thanks.
On the left click "Surveys"
Should be listed in the surveys.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
1. Playing the game in 16-minute halves by state association adoption.
Sure, why not? It should make games flow a little better and take a little less time. Though coaches will have to adjust to losing two "free timeouts" between quarters to make adjustments.

Quote:
2. Playing the game in 18-minute halves by state association adoption.
No, we don't need to make the games longer.

Quote:
3. Permitting a shot clock by state association adoption.
Some states already do it so we might as well make it legal. I don't think we'll be seeing one in TX for quite a while (if ever) so it won't really affect me.

Quote:
4. During a free throw, moving all players up one space and leaving the two marked lane spaces closest to the end line vacant (currently spaces nearest the shooter are vacant).
Don't see a good reason for this...

Quote:
5. After shooting the free throws for a technical foul, putting the ball in play at the point of interruption (currently the ball is awarded to the offended team at half court).
No! This would lesson the severity of the penalty for a tech...not a good idea.

Quote:
6. Changing to a 20-second interval for replacement of a disqualified player (currently 30-seconds).
Neutral

Quote:
7. Adding a fifth delay warning for a team huddling at the sideline during the disqualified player replacement interval.
Yes! Teams seem to think they can stay in the huddle as long as they want.

Quote:
8. Stopping the game clock after a successful goal when there is less than one minute remaining in the fourth quarter (or any overtime) and restarting the game clock when the ball is touched inbounds.
I really like the idea, it would make the end of game more exciting. BUT this is going to be a nightmare... especially at the sub-varsity level. Table crew just won't be able to do it right and we're going to have to be constantly messing with the clock.

Quote:
9. During state championship contests, permitting game officials to use courtside replay equipment to determine if a try for field goal at or near the expiration of time should be counted, and if counted, determine its value, by state association adoption.
YES!! If the equipment is available we should use it. The whole point is to get the call right, especially in a game of this caliber.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

18 min halves

I'm pretty sure the 18 min halves here in MN were a 2 year trial with this being the 2nd year. I disagree with the sloppiness comment by MJT, it's no worse than when we played 8 min quarters. The initial problem was really with the coaches learning to adjust their rotations and use of timeouts. I work mainly 1A and 2A, the 2 smallest classes in MN, but probably 25% of my games were 4A schools, tha largest class. The smaller schools always have more of a talent dropoff but it tends to be relative within their class, so it's not a factor in most games.

I have heard only positives from coaches, I expect we will continue with 18 min halves.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

1. Playing the game in 16-minute halves by state association adoption. No

2. Playing the game in 18-minute halves by state association adoption. Yes

3. Permitting a shot clock by state association adoption. No

4. During a free throw, moving all players up one space and leaving the two marked lane spaces closest to the end line vacant (currently spaces nearest the shooter are vacant). Yes

5. After shooting the free throws for a technical foul, putting the ball in play at the point of interruption (currently the ball is awarded to the offended team at half court). Yes

6. Changing to a 20-second interval for replacement of a disqualified player (currently 30-seconds). Yes

7. Adding a fifth delay warning for a team huddling at the sideline during the disqualified player replacement interval. Move to 20 and don't allow huddle

8. Stopping the game clock after a successful goal when there is less than one minute remaining in the fourth quarter (or any overtime) and restarting the game clock when the ball is touched inbounds. No

9. During state championship contests, permitting game officials to use courtside replay equipment to determine if a try for field goal at or near the expiration of time should be counted, and if counted, determine its value, by state association adoption. Yes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Mn

Red,
Where in the state are you located?
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

No to all. None are really needed.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Jeff, I'm in Rochester, in the SE part of the state.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tjones1]Just got the e-mail that it had been posted. So I went over and took it really quick.

As always, I post the "Would you favor" questions, here they are this year. If you want to take the survey you've got to be a NFHS member and can do so by logging in at http://www.nfhs.org

Would you favor:

1. Playing the game in 16-minute halves by state association adoption. YES

2. Playing the game in 18-minute halves by state association adoption. YES

3. Permitting a shot clock by state association adoption.NO

4. During a free throw, moving all players up one space and leaving the two marked lane spaces closest to the end line vacant (currently spaces nearest the shooter are vacant). NO

5. After shooting the free throws for a technical foul, putting the ball in play at the point of interruption (currently the ball is awarded to the offended team at half court). YES

6. Changing to a 20-second interval for replacement of a disqualified player (currently 30-seconds). YES

7. Adding a fifth delay warning for a team huddling at the sideline during the disqualified player replacement interval. YES

8. Stopping the game clock after a successful goal when there is less than one minute remaining in the fourth quarter (or any overtime) and restarting the game clock when the ball is touched inbounds. NO

9. During state championship contests, permitting game officials to use courtside replay equipment to determine if a try for field goal at or near the expiration of time should be counted, and if counted, determine its value, by state association adoption. NO

I think a shot clock would be nice but with budget problems in schools already such an issue it would be hard to get continuity. Also - another problem area at the table - where it is already difficult to find people to work.