The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

HELP. I'm trying to learn 3 person mechanics and am having some trouble. I have studied the mechanics manual and have a good basic understanding of how it works but when on the floor I'm having a hard time reacting automatically to the switches (or lack of switches) depending on the situation. I'm not completely sure of exactly what a long switch is. My basic question here is: are there any basic rules of thumb or constants that I can memorize that will immediately, without having to run through the entire thought process tell me whether to switch or not? I think that the long switch occurs when there is an offensive foul in frontcourt and if that is true, is that the only time it occurs, if so, then that is one of the "constants" I can try to program in. It is really tough trying to concentrate on the game when the mechanics don't come automatic. Anything you can tell me on the subject of 3 man mechanics will be geatly appreciated, thanks, Ralph.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hey Ralph, I went through this over the summer, having
attended two 3-man camps to learn the system. I think maybe
the hardest part of learning the system is to stop yourself
from reacting as if you're in a 2 man game, especially when
you're into the flow of a good game. My advice is to take
that split second or 2 to make sure you know where you're
going, it's really not noticable and after a while it does
become automatic. BTW, I did have lots of help coming up to
speed from some of the folks here (thanks again Tony &
Mick).
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
HELP. I'm trying to learn 3 person mechanics and am having some trouble.
Ralph,

Studying the mechanics manual is a good start. It gives a good explanation of where you should be. But as you've already realized, actually doing it on the floor can be a different matter.

I can only tell you about my own situation. This is my first year of doing 3-man in real games (after doing 2-man for 9 years). I'm feeling pretty good about it, though, b/c I've attended 2 camps and worked dozens of pre-season scrimmages over the last 3 years, using the 3-man system.

Even with all that practice, I still find myself at times worrying about where I am on the floor instead of officiating. Every once in a while, I have to remind myself where I am and what my primary responsibilities are. I think that it will come in time, but I (and you, too, probably) just need to work as much 3-man as possible until it becomes second nature.

Quote:
I'm not completely sure of exactly what a long switch is. I think that the long switch occurs when there is an offensive foul in frontcourt
A long switch occurs on any backcourt foul. That is, anytime a foul occurs and the ball will be going "the other way", the officials initiate a long switch. This can be an offensive foul, as you mention. It can also be a foul during rebounding action, or during a loose ball on the floor. The calling official goes to the side of the floor opposite the table and the official who was opposite (either the T or C) comes to inbound the ball at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

Having said that, I don't think that you should worry about "long switch" situations. Just switch on every foul, like your supposed to. (Although, I guess FED mechanics now say not to long switch, right?) But if you just switch on every foul, you won't have to worry about what the long switch is.

Quote:
It's really tough trying to concentrate on the game when the mechanics don't come automatic. Anything you can tell me on the subject of 3 man mechanics will be geatly appreciated, thanks, Ralph.
How do you get good at 3-man mechanics? Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Practice, practice, practice.

Best of luck on your season,

Chuck
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

A long switch occurs when the lead calls a foul in the frontcourt and the foul is on the team who's FC we are in. If the lead is opposite table, then he'll report and go to L at the other end. If he is lead table side, he'll report and go to center, opposite table.

The NF has eliminated the long switch in NF mechanics. They did this because the NCAA had eliminated it. However, the NCAA has now brought the long switch back. The NCHSAA has given local associations the option of continuing with the long switch or eliminating it. However, they have suggested that we continue to do it.

A couple of basic switch items that might help (using the long switch):

The calling official always goes opposite table after the reporting the foul, either to T, C, or the new lead on the opposite end of the floor.

If you are tableside at L, C, or T, and you don't call the foul, you will never switch. You may rotate, but you'll never switch. The other two officials will switch, if a switch is necessary.

If you want to email me with specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best as I can. All I ever work is 3 man, so it's pretty natural to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
HELP. I'm trying to learn 3 person mechanics and am having some trouble. I have studied the mechanics manual and have a good basic understanding of how it works but when on the floor I'm having a hard time reacting automatically to the switches (or lack of switches) depending on the situation. I'm not completely sure of exactly what a long switch is. My basic question here is: are there any basic rules of thumb or constants that I can memorize that will immediately, without having to run through the entire thought process tell me whether to switch or not? I think that the long switch occurs when there is an offensive foul in frontcourt and if that is true, is that the only time it occurs, if so, then that is one of the "constants" I can try to program in. It is really tough trying to concentrate on the game when the mechanics don't come automatic. Anything you can tell me on the subject of 3 man mechanics will be geatly appreciated, thanks, Ralph.

Ralph,
As in the replies below:

Foul Switches for High School: (exception - Long Switch)
Opposite always moves
  • to report a foul (and then he returns to opposite)
  • to replace the calling official.

Calling official always moves to opposite after reporting.

For Throw-in:
    Ball is always thrown in with two officials (strong side - one official on end line and another offical on sideline)

For Doubt:
    Just fill in where an official should be standing.

mick
    Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 02:06pm
    Official Forum Member

Exclamation Wait a minute!

I thought they did away with the long switch!?

Am I confused?
    Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 02:24pm
    Official Forum Member

Read the second paragraph in my post above.

Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 03:30pm
    Official Forum Member

Arkansas has been using 3 man mechanics for all games, even Jr Hi, for several years now. The hardest transition to make IMHO is to call in your primary area and not reach across in front of your partners to make a call. With 2 man you had to help each other and had much more floor to cover. With 3 man, that all changes. The addage to "Trust Your Partner" really comes to light in 3 man.

Your rotations will come natural after a few games. And if you miss a rotation, you 3 will be the only ones to notice. Just adjust and go with the flow.

Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 04:32pm
    Official Forum Member

3 Man

One more question on 3 man- If your T across table and call a foul- after reporting, do you go to lead?
    Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 04:36pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: 3 Man

Quote:
    Originally posted by ajloud
    One more question on 3 man- If your T across table and call a foul- after reporting, do you go to lead?
    If the ball is staying in the FC, then you go back to T.

If the foul causes us to go to the other end, then you become the new L, just as if the foul had not occurred.

Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 04:58pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
    If you are getting confused on where you go after you call a foul, espicially fouls going the other way, try this. Think of the floor as one huge front court. After you call the foul, you will go opposite the table. If there is not a T that will have to bump you in order to inbound the ball, then you will be the T or C opposite the table. If after you call the foul, there is someone who will need to bump you in order to inbound the ball, you will be the L opposite bench.

If the inbounds spot is table side, you will always be C after calling the foul. If the inbounds spot is opposite, that is when you have to consider whether or not you will be inbounding the ball.
    Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 03:18pm
    In Memoriam

help

Quote:
    Originally posted by BktBallRef

... the NCAA has now brought the long switch back.

Tony,
    Where may I read this?
    Thanks.
    mick
    Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 03:27pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by bigwhistle
    If you are getting confused on where you go after you call a foul, espicially fouls going the other way, try this. Think of the floor as one huge front court. After you call the foul, you will go opposite the table. If there is not a T that will have to bump you in order to inbound the ball, then you will be the T or C opposite the table. If after you call the foul, there is someone who will need to bump you in order to inbound the ball, you will be the L opposite bench.

If the inbounds spot is table side, you will always be C after calling the foul. If the inbounds spot is opposite, that is when you have to consider whether or not you will be inbounding the ball.
    Excellant explaination! I did quite a bit of 3-whistle this summer at a city league (6 games a week for 6 weeks). It took a couple of weeks before I felt comfortable. It is true that once you get into the flow it becomes easier and you find yourself going to the right spot on the floor or rotating at the right time. More than once I found myself being out of position, but my partners and I were the only ones that knew it.

I found that thinking of the floor in the terms described by Bigwhistle helped in knowing where to go after reporting. I would always go opposite the table first, and then if the ball is going the other way, rotate to the new position.

Mike

[Edited by Mike Burns on Nov 13th, 2001 at 02:33 PM]