Thread: 3 man
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
HELP. I'm trying to learn 3 person mechanics and am having some trouble. I have studied the mechanics manual and have a good basic understanding of how it works but when on the floor I'm having a hard time reacting automatically to the switches (or lack of switches) depending on the situation. I'm not completely sure of exactly what a long switch is. My basic question here is: are there any basic rules of thumb or constants that I can memorize that will immediately, without having to run through the entire thought process tell me whether to switch or not? I think that the long switch occurs when there is an offensive foul in frontcourt and if that is true, is that the only time it occurs, if so, then that is one of the "constants" I can try to program in. It is really tough trying to concentrate on the game when the mechanics don't come automatic. Anything you can tell me on the subject of 3 man mechanics will be geatly appreciated, thanks, Ralph.

Ralph,
As in the replies below:

Foul Switches for High School: (exception - Long Switch)
Opposite always moves
  • to report a foul (and then he returns to opposite)
  • to replace the calling official.

Calling official always moves to opposite after reporting.

For Throw-in:
    Ball is always thrown in with two officials (strong side - one official on end line and another offical on sideline)

For Doubt:
    Just fill in where an official should be standing.

mick