Thread: 3 man
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
HELP. I'm trying to learn 3 person mechanics and am having some trouble.
Ralph,

Studying the mechanics manual is a good start. It gives a good explanation of where you should be. But as you've already realized, actually doing it on the floor can be a different matter.

I can only tell you about my own situation. This is my first year of doing 3-man in real games (after doing 2-man for 9 years). I'm feeling pretty good about it, though, b/c I've attended 2 camps and worked dozens of pre-season scrimmages over the last 3 years, using the 3-man system.

Even with all that practice, I still find myself at times worrying about where I am on the floor instead of officiating. Every once in a while, I have to remind myself where I am and what my primary responsibilities are. I think that it will come in time, but I (and you, too, probably) just need to work as much 3-man as possible until it becomes second nature.

Quote:
I'm not completely sure of exactly what a long switch is. I think that the long switch occurs when there is an offensive foul in frontcourt
A long switch occurs on any backcourt foul. That is, anytime a foul occurs and the ball will be going "the other way", the officials initiate a long switch. This can be an offensive foul, as you mention. It can also be a foul during rebounding action, or during a loose ball on the floor. The calling official goes to the side of the floor opposite the table and the official who was opposite (either the T or C) comes to inbound the ball at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

Having said that, I don't think that you should worry about "long switch" situations. Just switch on every foul, like your supposed to. (Although, I guess FED mechanics now say not to long switch, right?) But if you just switch on every foul, you won't have to worry about what the long switch is.

Quote:
It's really tough trying to concentrate on the game when the mechanics don't come automatic. Anything you can tell me on the subject of 3 man mechanics will be geatly appreciated, thanks, Ralph.
How do you get good at 3-man mechanics? Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Practice, practice, practice.

Best of luck on your season,

Chuck