Thread: 3 man
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

A long switch occurs when the lead calls a foul in the frontcourt and the foul is on the team who's FC we are in. If the lead is opposite table, then he'll report and go to L at the other end. If he is lead table side, he'll report and go to center, opposite table.

The NF has eliminated the long switch in NF mechanics. They did this because the NCAA had eliminated it. However, the NCAA has now brought the long switch back. The NCHSAA has given local associations the option of continuing with the long switch or eliminating it. However, they have suggested that we continue to do it.

A couple of basic switch items that might help (using the long switch):

The calling official always goes opposite table after the reporting the foul, either to T, C, or the new lead on the opposite end of the floor.

If you are tableside at L, C, or T, and you don't call the foul, you will never switch. You may rotate, but you'll never switch. The other two officials will switch, if a switch is necessary.

If you want to email me with specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best as I can. All I ever work is 3 man, so it's pretty natural to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith