The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional Foul Then a "T"

I had a girls JV game last night. Visitors down by 8 points and frustrated ( they won at home by 20 ) A1 ( home team ) goes in for a break away lay up B1 pushes her without palying the ball. I call the intentional Foul and as I do, A2 intentionally should bumps B1 out of bounds....Now I got a "T" for a dead ball foul. We keep the girls seperated, my partner gets there and I try to tell him what I have ( away from the teams ) he says " Yeah, Yeah, I got it" Before I get the whole play out to him, so I go to report the fouls. Now because of everything going on, I got a shooter, I got a foul on A2 and a foul on B1... I sort it out, get it right and we shoot the 2 intentional foul shots, I get the player from B ready to shoot the "T" FTs and my partner comes to me and says " What are you doing?" I explain the whole play, he thought the "T" was on B1, we shoot the 2 "T' free Throws and bring the ball in opposite the table for B.

Interesting play. Did I miss anything?

A's coach started to go crazy because he wanted the ball back for the intentional foul, I explained we take the fouls in the order they occured, the "T" was the last foul called, B get's the ball. BTW, I did explain the situation to both coaches.

If anyone is wondering, I filled out the forms to report the "T" this morning and they are in the mail!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Yes, you got it right.

A2 is assessed a Technical which adds to PF and TF totals.

A1 shoots 2 free throws with line cleared.

Any Team B member(s) shoots 2 free throws for T with line cleared.

Team B throw-in at division line.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, That how it went down. I thought sure I had it all right. The hardest part was getting the fouls called correct, because I had 15 blue with the intentional foul on 40 white and then 33 white with the "T" on 15 white, but I knew anyone could shoot the FT.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

You have to fill out a report for every T you call? We only have to do paperwork for ejections.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. Paper work for every "T". ( In West Virginia ).
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 05:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Yes. Paper work for every "T". ( In West Virginia ).
Even for something mundane like a second delay of game for a boundary violation?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't A2 have gotten a flagrant technical?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

The contact did not warrent a Flagrant "T". With the Flagrant "T" she is ejected and lose the next 2 games, which would have been into the play-offs and unfair for the amount of contact.

I gave a flagrant "T" about 4 years ago, the coach yelled "Foul, Foul" at the end of a game and the kid ran about 15 feet full speed and pushed the offensive player into the 2nd row of the stands.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 12:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I gave a flagrant "T" about 4 years ago, the coach yelled "Foul, Foul" at the end of a game and the kid ran about 15 feet full speed and pushed the offensive player into the 2nd row of the stands.
See deecee, it is possible for someone to land 2 rows up in the stands.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 07:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I gave a flagrant "T" about 4 years ago, the kid ran about 15 feet full speed and pushed the offensive player into the 2nd row of the stands.
Ummmmm. . .
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 08:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Scrappy is wise beyond his ummmmm's.........
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The contact did not warrent a Flagrant "T". With the Flagrant "T" she is ejected and lose the next 2 games, which would have been into the play-offs and unfair for the amount of contact.
I thought a dead ball contact foul was a flagrant. What am I thinking of?
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 04:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
I thought a dead ball contact foul was a flagrant. What am I thinking of?
Got me. What are you thinking of?

1) In the post referred to, the coach yelled "foul, foul" and his player pushed an opponent into the second row. You can't call a technical foul of any kind for live-ball contact, by rule.Rule 4-19-1. That was Scrappy's very valid point.
2) A dead ball contact foul can be either an intentional or a flagrant technical foul, also by rule. Rule 4-19-5(c)
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Got me. What are you thinking of?

1) In the post referred to, the coach yelled "foul, foul" and his player pushed an opponent into the second row. You can't call a technical foul of any kind for live-ball contact, by rule.Rule 4-19-1. That was Scrappy's very valid point.
2) A dead ball contact foul can be either an intentional or a flagrant technical foul, also by rule. Rule 4-19-5(c)
In the original post, A2 bumps B1 during a dead ball. Is the rule any dead ball contact is a technical (not a flagrant, as I was thinking of)?
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 06:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
In the original post, A2 bumps B1 during a dead ball. Is the rule any dead ball contact is a technical (not a flagrant, as I was thinking of)?
The original post had nothing to do with Scrappy's response, but.....

You can have intentional and flagrant personal fouls, as well as intentional or flagrant technical fouls. Dead ball contact is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant, or it's committed by or on an airborne shooter. NFHS rule 4-19-1NOTE. If you do rule the dead ball contact intentional or flagrant though, then you call an intentional technical foul or a flagrant technical foul. NFHS rule 4-19-5(c). The exception to that is an airborne shooter charging after a dead ball. That is a player control foul, which is a personal foul.

Make sense?