The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

First Time Varsity coach

Last night I worked a game with a coach that got his first varsity job this season. I had worked with this coach at another school and frankly I walked away thinking he was kind of a dick (on the court). The school he now works at is literally right down the street from where I live. I have worked their scrimmage there several years even before he became head coach. Last night I had the opportunity to finally work one of his games at the varsity level because of some major snow storm issues that cancelled almost the entire state on Tuesday.

I was the Referee of the game and for some reason I did not shake this coach's hands. I did not realize this at all, there were 6 captains, and I knew the visiting coach for years because of working his games. This was a conference game and the visiting team had just joined this conference because of some major realignment all over the area. I gave me regular speech and we get on with it.

The game starts and we come out and call 6-0 in fouls against the home team. They just were being more aggressive and even fouled a 3 point shooter before he came back to the floor (I called this foul). The coach asked in a very nice way about why I called the foul and wanted to know what the defender was allowed to do in that situation. I just listened and gave him and answer he did not get upset by.

Earlier in the games there were a couple of times this coach's assistants coaches were kind of chirping, but nothing that sparked much attention. Not a few minutes later after a timeout, one of the assistants on the home team comes to me right after a timeout about what he perceived was a hand check. I was at the huddle because I was letting them know of the first horn and this is when the AC said something to me. I told the AC, "I think he can do all the talking (referring to the HC). I know he has had to work hard and earn it, I was working some of his games when he was before he got this position." I said this in a very calm and unassuming voice. The HC in a funny way, "I do remember that, this is why you are holding it against me from what happen two summers ago." I responded with kind of a smirk and laugh and said, "I am sorry you feel that way, but I would not hold anything against your team. You guys are practically in my back yard, why would I have anything against you." This of course was all a private conversation between him and me.

Well after this conversation the fouls went from 6-0 to 7-10 in the first half. The home team took a big lead and held it until most of the game. They almost gave it away later in the game. The home team only won 2 games before last night I believe.

Well in the second half things got a little crazy. I have my first T this year on a player from the home team. I even go up to the home coach right after the T and say to him how I was not going to be shown up by a 16, 17 year old. The coach joked and said something to the effect, "I would have done the same thing."

In another incident the visiting coach got T'd up by one of my partners. This T was not at all related to anything having to do with events with the home coach during the game.

Later in the game after we have called a ton of fouls on both teams and the game was pretty much in hand, I approach the coach and say, "I am not such a bad guy am I?" He laughed and said, "I always thought we were fine, but until two summers ago, I did not know what went wrong."

It was an interesting evening.

Peace