The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I was officiating a girls BB game. After trying to use preventative officiating, I called a T on a coach for unsportsmanlike conduct, then a few more minutes later my partner called the second T on the coach. After my partner reported the T and conferring with my partner, I went over to inform the coach he was to leave the gym as this of course was his second direct T. He continued and became worse. I gave him another T before he left the gym, followed by a fourth.

All T's were recorded as team fouls. After finally having him leave the gym I also ejected the assistant coach. Six free throws were shot plus the ball out of bounds.

Please advise me as to:

I don't think I probably should have ejected the assistant coach as the head coaches third and fourth T's should have been indirect T's on the Assistant coach who is now in charge of her bench since the head coach had already been ejected??

Is this how this situation should be handled or should I just start a 30 second clock and let him continue to make rude unsportsmanlike comments etc.?

Is the number of free throws shot correct?

Of course I hope this never happens again. But any other info is appreciated as I just want to make sure we get this right next time.

I have been told by a person in my high school association that no more than 2 T's should have been assessed. That we should have momentarily suspended the game until the coach left. I suspose that would be ok if he left before the 30 seconds. I disagree however that an ejected coach should or can not have additional technicals assessed beccause he has already been ejected. That would allow coach any type of unsportsmanlike behavior or comment with no consequences.

I would appreciate any feedback.

JJ
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

This is definately a tough situation in which to be.

First off, if you gave the head coach 3 technicals (at the same time, not counting the original one), and then ejected the assistant (which would require a flagrant T), you have four technical fouls, and should have shot 8 shots.

Once the coach was ejected, he does not become bench personnel (because he won't be on the bench), so you don't give anyone an indirect.

Now comes the tough part. The no more than 2 T's is more of an unwritten rule than anything - kinda like having your partner give the 2nd T, if possible. The coach can definately earn more than 2 technicals, but if you don't absolutely positively have to give them - DON'T!!

Thirty seconds is the time allowed to replace a DQ'd player - it does NOT apply to coaches! An ejected coach/bench personnel does not have 30 seconds to stand around before leaving!!! The coach should leave immediately after being notified of the second technical (of course, being reasonable as to picking up jackets/clipboards/etc).

The procedure recommended by most people here is this: Have the timer set one minute on the clock. Inform the coach that he has one minute to leave, or his team forfeits. Then start the countdown. True, the coach may stick around and act like an *** for 59 seconds, but he will be gone at the :00!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
This is definately a tough situation in which to be.

First off, if you gave the head coach 3 technicals (at the same time, not counting the original one), and then ejected the assistant (which would require a flagrant T), you have four technical fouls, and should have shot 8 shots.

Once the coach was ejected, he does not become bench personnel (because he won't be on the bench), so you don't give anyone an indirect.

Now comes the tough part. The no more than 2 T's is more of an unwritten rule than anything - kinda like having your partner give the 2nd T, if possible. The coach can definately earn more than 2 technicals, but if you don't absolutely positively have to give them - DON'T!!

Thirty seconds is the time allowed to replace a DQ'd player - it does NOT apply to coaches! An ejected coach/bench personnel does not have 30 seconds to stand around before leaving!!! The coach should leave immediately after being notified of the second technical (of course, being reasonable as to picking up jackets/clipboards/etc).

The procedure recommended by most people here is this: Have the timer set one minute on the clock. Inform the coach that he has one minute to leave, or his team forfeits. Then start the countdown. True, the coach may stick around and act like an *** for 59 seconds, but he will be gone at the :00!
I agree with Mr. Dexter. 1 minute would be a reasonable amount of time for the coach to leave the game. If he refuses to leave then it as a 'travesty of the game' forfeiture. If that team is ahead then the scorebook will read 2-0 in favor of the other team. If they are behind, then the score at the time stands as the final score.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing in the rulebook that says you can't whack a coach after he's been ejected. But at some point, it becomes a farce. If I eject anyone and then have a problem with him/her, I simply inform game management that the ejectee has 30 seconds to leave the building or we will forfiet the game. The I tell the timer to give me 30 seconds. If we get to this point, 30 seconds is plenty of time to get out.

Also, the 3rd and 4th T's that you called on the head coach are not charged indirectly to the asst. coach. Even if they were indirects, it takes 3 indirects, not 2. You kicked that part of it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith