The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
shot over backboard

In my game tonight we had team a's shot hit the rim and bounce up over the backboard but did not touch any support structure, so we let them play through. Team B's coach starts screaming and hollering that the ball is immediately out of bounds once the shot goes over the backboard. This backboard is rectanglular. I fell we were correct but this coach has me thinking i might be wrong, and figured the board could help.

Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

It's OOB when it goes over the top of the backboard on a rectangular board. You missed that one.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:06am
Do not give a damn!!

This shows why you were wrong.

Rule 7-1-2 Note.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

For a fan-shaped backboard, you would have been correct.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Ditt! but you know it correct for the next time.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:32am
Official & Member

And note that is also a violation when it crosses over the top from the other direction as well (back to front, rectangular).
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
not with fiba rules but I suppose that doesn't really matter until the next olympics
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

had a case in NE WI - saw it on the news. 2 teams playing for 1st place in conf. - both ranked teams. Team A up by 2 with 2 seconds. Team B inbounds in BC and shoots last second shot from FT line. Ball goes off the iron, up, bounces on top of backboard (but never passes over) and straight through the basket. Shot off with 1 sec showing on clock. Team B should have won but the officials got together and disallowed basket because ball bounced on top of rectangular backboard. OUCH! It was replayed all day on all the newscasts on that station
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I have seen a ft do this. Not game winning thouhg, but it was up on the backboard three times before it went back and through the net they made the right call and said it was good though
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
had a case in NE WI - saw it on the news. 2 teams playing for 1st place in conf. - both ranked teams. Team A up by 2 with 2 seconds. Team B inbounds in BC and shoots last second shot from FT line. Ball goes off the iron, up, bounces on top of backboard (but never passes over) and straight through the basket. Shot off with 1 sec showing on clock. Team B should have won but the officials got together and disallowed basket because ball bounced on top of rectangular backboard. OUCH! It was replayed all day on all the newscasts on that station

Without seeing the play or the basket, is it possible that the officials disallowed the goal in this situation because the ball hit a cord, shot clock, or support instead?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

nope - just kicked it- Basket on support like NCAA, NBA etc. Nothing overhead at all. I will say that the kids and coach of losing team handled it well - at least on camera. I know that if I had been the coach I would have been Pi$$ed - and there would more than likely been a "conversation" about it before the officials left the court. Took away conference - but tourny time is a new season and all teams get seeded in regions, sections and then on to state so they still are playing!
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
And note that is also a violation when it crosses over the top from the other direction as well (back to front, rectangular).
I called this one 2 nights ago....as LEAD. Player shot the ball from the baseline and really close to the board on my side of the court. I was right in line with the shot. The ball went over the board and into the bucket. From my angle, it was easy to tell and was in my field of view while covering the shot. I thought that the ball was going to hit the support behind the board but it just cleared the black bar and made it over. Partner was glad I called it since he was covering off ball and didn't see the shot go up or where the ball came from. I believe that's the first time I've ever made that call from the lead....but it was not the typical over-the-board situation.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Larry Bird

Many years ago the Boston Celtics used to play a few "home" games each year at the Hartford, CT Civic Center. One of his most famous, of his many famous shots, was taken at the Hartford Civic Center. While hustling to save a ball from going out of bounds, he jumped over the end line, turned, and shot the ball, over the backboard from back to front, which hit nothing but net. I believe that this is now illegal in the NBA. I've seen this shot replayed many times. Most people think it was taken at Boston Garden. It wasn't.

Last night, at my girls varsity game, during one of the time outs, they played "Brass Bonanza", the theme song of the Hartford Whalers. It made me sad. Maybe someday, besides the WNBA Connecticut Sun, we'll have a major league team in Connecticut. We almost lost our PGA tournament, until a sponser dropped out of another tournament and one of our big insurance companies came to the rescue and sponsered our Greater Hartford golf tournament. We also have a major mens and womens tennis tournament in New Haven every summer.