The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 12, 2000, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Okay, State playoffs third place boys game. Early fourth quarter A1 shoots the ball from the corner it passes over the backboard and in,B1 fouls on the try the official counts the basket plus one freethrow.
Last seconds of the game Team B down by two goes up the court where B1 shoots the ball it misses and B2 retrieves before it goes out of boune and throws up over the backboard as the buzzer sound the official(diffrent one) signals no shot ilegal play Game Over.
I agree with this but two comments.
1)The first officail blew the call
2) if this offical would have made the correct call would there of been a foul and if so a shooting foul??
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

I don't think I've seen a shot from the corner go over the back board. You almost have to be behind the board. However if your question is, if a player is fouled, in the act of shooting, and the ball goes over the back board in the basket, what do we have? No basket, player shoots two free throws.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Isn't this question a bit of deja vu from a week or two ago?

With out seeing both plays it is hard to tell if the officials made a mistake. But I agree, it is really very hard, if not impossible, to take a shot, legally inbounds, and send it over the backboard.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Very simple -- out of bounds under Team A's basket and A2 runs towards the inbounder A1 from the deep corner. A2 catches and shoots on the fly. His momnetum carries him in the air but slightly out of bounds and he releases all in one motion. Thats how it can happen that ball goes over back of basket.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I'm going to the YMCA today and see what it takes for me to call over the back board. I will let you know what happens.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Jackgil-the original question was a shot from the corner. Standing/shooting legally inbounds, from the corner, it is next to impossible to put the ball in the hoop with the ball going over the backboard. The message didn't say he was falling OOB from the corner so I assume he was taking your average jumper. But you are right, closer in to the basket you can get some funky shots.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I checked it out. Standing next to the baseline inbounds, you would have to be within two feet outside the lane line before I would consider over the back board. For a players momentum jumping beyond the baseline, in the corner, for the ball to go over the back board and hit the rim, the player would have to be about six to eight feet beyond the baseline, shooting a shot about 50' in the air. I don't think i'll see happen in my life-time.

[This message has been edited by Bart Tyson (edited March 13, 2000).]
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Okay so you are saying if the person is was about 15-16 ft out like this guy was and is right near the sideline he shot it and it sure looked like it passed over th backboard or at least parrell. You sayinf you are inbounds than it impossible to do this?? I will have to go to the gym some time and see. I was fairly high in the arena so maybe I did noy see it right
Thanks
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Yes, When you stand in the corner, you can see all of the rim. Impossible to shoot a shot in the corner, inbounds, and have it go over the back board.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Smoke on 03-14-2000 12:50 AM
Okay so you are saying if the person is was about 15-16 ft out like this guy was and is right near the sideline he shot it and it sure looked like it passed over th backboard or at least parrell. You sayinf you are inbounds than it impossible to do this?? I will have to go to the gym some time and see. I was fairly high in the arena so maybe I did noy see it right
Thanks

1) You don't need to go to the gym for this. Just use the diagram in the front of the rules book.

2) A player 15-16 feet out and near the sideline would have to shoot the ball *toward* the end-line. It's impossible for the ball to go over the backboard and still go in the basket without hitting something behind the backboard (assuming we don't have abig gust of wind that causes the ball to reverse course.)

3) Maybe this helps explain why officials don't sit "fairly high in the arena."
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

bART -

Bart oh ye of little faith. When I played for Archbishop Molloy HS in NYC we had a player named Billy Lawrence who got called for it. Defender was on him so tight he kept going further out of bounds in the air. Lawrence was a 1st team All American who got a full boat to NC ...flunked out and went to St. Johns ...flunked out again...what a shame....best pure jump shoooter ever to play HS ball in NYC.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Brian -

I know what the original question was.....I was merely giving an instance where the ball could go over back of backboard while shooting from the corner. We used to run a set OOB play in HS and one of our players was called for it during a game.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

We've all seen made baskets over the back board, but that far out...tough call.The height of the ball would make it difficult to judge if it went over the back board. If he makes it, i don't think i interupt the game.