The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Okay it seems we have everyone from babyspanking new to gracefully aging on this forum; how long does it take to master officiating?
A very long time, maybe never.

Each year at the end of the season I think I'm a great official. Then by the middle of the next season I feel like I've improved about 100% from the previous season and I think to myself "How the hell did I think I was a good official last season when I've learned so much over the last year?"

A good official is always getting better and learning something new.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I have been officiating since I was 19 and am now 38. There are always things to learn. However, I love officiating because of all the guys I work with. They are such good friends, and the camaraderie on the court makes all the crap from coaches worthwhile.

What is really funny, you will find, is that a lot of officials don't even know all the rules. They know the main ones, but when a tricky situation comes along they might get themselves in trouble. What is even scarier is that they consider me the "rules" guy. Then I come in here and realize all the things I still don't know. And you will find that as good as you get--in judgment, rules, mechanics, dealing with coaches--there is always somebody better. Aspire to be that guy in each area.

But more than that, have integrity, do what you say, call your partners and see how their lives are going, take an interest in their kids, be there when they need help outside the game. It is an awesome path that we have chosen and the people we meet along the way keep it fun. Don't forget all the other guys we meet along the way--some won't become your friends, but they still make it a great experience.

Anyhow, I digress. I am probably taking the next year (or years off) and I am finding that I won't miss the long drives, or the long nights, or the time away from home--but I will miss the guys I spend most of my nights and weekends with tooting the whistle and having a good time.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Well said, I will remember that when doubt sets in.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
My own opinion is that it takes at least 5 years before you really have a good handle on what you're supposed to be doing. Then it gets harder.

The rules and the game are constantly evolving. As an official, you have to evolve with them. Your evolution only stops if you let it.
I agree with the at least 5 years theory. I called rec ball before I joined a high school association 5 years ago, and I realized I didn't know much and that every game is a learning experience. Last year was my first year doing the GHSA state tournament, and I am currently calling in it this year.

With that said, I jumped in on this board last week or so just to read and keep my mind on basketball (rules, case plays, etc.) I still have mentors and I still go to their games to sit in on pregames and learn and watch. Going to camp EVERY year has also been in invaluable tool and I would recommend it. I say all this to say the best advice I was given was to be SPONGE. Absorb and learn as much as you can. Make every game a learning experience, and be able to receive constructive criticsm when needed.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Every game out I am impressed by how much I have learned and how much I know. Every game out I am even more humbled by what still need to learn and what I do not know. When this stops happening, it will probably be time for me to get out. It is my less than humble opinion that the biggest obstacle tobeing great at anything is being good at it. Too often we settle for good instead of reaching to be great! Not an original idea, but one that I espouse.