The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Heck, even Buck Owens was pretty good in his time.
I suppose I could've said B.B. King, or perhaps Segovia. I was going for mainstream...
Ya know, if you like BB King you need to check out Duane Allman. Before he was a famous dead rock star he was an outstanding sideman. There's an anthology album, check it out.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
how long does it take to master officiating?
Longer than I have been reffing that's for sure. Every time I start to think I'm a pretty solid ref, I do something in a game that makes me realize I'm not all that.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Ya know, if you like BB King you need to check out Duane Allman. Before he was a famous dead rock star he was an outstanding sideman. There's an anthology album, check it out.
I know - good set. He and Dickey Betts were great together.

I can play some notes on a guitar, but I never sound anything like what I hear on the album. That's what I've learned about officiating. There's a big difference between playing the notes, and being good.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Jose Feliciano, Chet Atkins, Andres Segovia...
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Aww...looks like someone else needs a Valentine today. So:

A guy walks into a post office one day to see a middle-aged,
balding man standing at the counter methodically placing
"Love" stamps on bright pink envelopes with hearts all over
them. He then takes out a perfume bottle and starts spraying
scent all over them.

His curiosity getting the better of him, he goes up to the
balding man and asks him what he is doing. The man says
"I'm sending out 1,000 Valentine cards signed, 'Guess who?'"

"But why?" asks the man.

"I'm a divorce lawyer," the man replies.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
My own opinion is that it takes at least 5 years before you really have a good handle on what you're supposed to be doing. Then it gets harder.
To that point - You have to also realize that you climb to the top of one level, then move up and its like starting all over. You are at the bottom and the climb begins again. Another whole set of challenges, politics, expectations, responsibilities.

Just when you really think you know whats going on - wait two years after you make varsity and look back. I promise you really had no idea yet.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

It took me 2 months to Master the Art of Officiating, but I am a slow learner....

I am in my 7th year....I get a 50/50 mix of Varsity and JV. If I were Gods Gift to Officiating, I would be getting 100% Varsity and they would be calling me to do DI games, but they are not.

I learn something new every night. The best thing I ever learned, was to love it and have fun.

My partners used to have " Have Fun" I thought " Are they nuts? FUN????" If you ain't having fun, you're doing something wrong.

Have fun.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No, I have no rose colored glasses on that. I wanted to know how prepared those in the know would say I would be in three months if I really worked hard. I do not want to waste the instructors or other participants time. If I needed to wait longer and attend other classes then that is what I would do.

Thanks for all the responses guys.
Let me put it this way. I have been doing this for a decade now. I there are things I do excellent. There are things I can do a lot better. This year I have just felt good about how I deal with coaches. There are still mechanics that I could get a lot better at. There are judgment calls that I can be a lot more consistent on. Either way it goes, I have to work hard every single night to work decent games. Some might say I am doing a good job, but I am only as good as my last game. I rarely walk away completely happy with the job I do. I am far away from mastering the game of basketball from the whistle side of the game.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
No, I have no rose colored glasses on that. I wanted to know how prepared those in the know would say I would be in three months if I really worked hard. I do not want to waste the instructors or other participants time. If I needed to wait longer and attend other classes then that is what I would do.

Thanks for all the responses guys.
I am sure you have soaked in a lot of knowledge this past year. Learning everything you can is certainly important - learning how to officiate will take a long, long time. Going to camps can certainly help that. I hope you aren't going to a D1 camp or anything that will overwhelm you. Who knows though, you may be a prodigy! No one can say "when" you "get" it - it just happens through years of hard work and study. After you "get" it - that's when you realize that you don't know JACK about officiating! Like someone said earlier, I try to learn new stuff all the time. Don't loose the ability to learn and never think you are better than you really are - if you are patient, you'll become a good official - good luck.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19
Rather than "years," you might measure your progress in the number of games you've worked.
I agree with this but for alot of people, they measure it in years. This will be my 5th year of working any kind of ball and I have reffed around 700 games (maybe more) and yet people think I am still new to the game because I just started reffing regular season HS games and college games. What do years have to do with it? You gain experience by working games, therefore I am with bgtg19 and think people should base your experience in games reffed not in years you have been working.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I agree with this but for alot of people, they measure it in years. This will be my 5th year of working any kind of ball and I have reffed around 700 games (maybe more) and yet people think I am still new to the game because I just started reffing regular season HS games and college games. What do years have to do with it? You gain experience by working games, therefore I am with bgtg19 and think people should base your experience in games reffed not in years you have been working.
Working games alone is not what makes you good or gives you experience. I personally think it is the kind of games you work that mean more. Working a Men's league for example is not what makes you a better official if you are trying to gain experience at the HS varsity or college ranks. Not to say you cannot learn something from any game, but working a Men's league is not the same as a HS game with a packed house and playoffs, jobs and memories and school legacy is on the line (with the whole town watching). Another reason you cannot compare all levels of games, is because you are not necessarily required to go through all the motions of a regular game. You might deal with making calls, but you might not have the same clock concerns and rules situations that are created during a regular game. I do a lot of summer ball HS leagues and there is nothing similar about those games as the regular season.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Let me put it this way. I have been doing this for a decade now. I there are things I do excellent. There are things I can do a lot better. This year I have just felt good about how I deal with coaches. There are still mechanics that I could get a lot better at. There are judgment calls that I can be a lot more consistent on. Either way it goes, I have to work hard every single night to work decent games. Some might say I am doing a good job, but I am only as good as my last game. I rarely walk away completely happy with the job I do. I am far away from mastering the game of basketball from the whistle side of the game.

Peace
In my short time of officiating I have to agree that I walk away thinking I could have done better. When you are on the sidelines it seems like you can see everything, but when you are on the court and have a split second to make a call or the game passes you by.... then you recall not all contact is a violation.... and the 1000 other rules the fans and parents dont know... I never dreamed it would be so hard, but that is what makes it exciting to me. I can not imagine what the pressure of a HS V game would be. Blowing a rule in Rec play; no biggie. Blowing a rule in HS V; get a rope... As you implied, I think setting goals for the season is a great idea. How else can you improve? Works for Tiger, right?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I think I probably speak for most when I say you never really master officiating. It is a lot more than simply knowing rules and mechanics. My feeling is it's a lot like playing an instrument. You or I might be able to play some chords and notes on a guitar, and we might play them using the proper mechanics, but I'll guarantee we won't sound anything like Eric Clapton.

So, practice, practice, practice...

It's not a destination, but a journey. The first step is always the hardest. But, after you take the first step, the second step is the hardest. The NEXT step is always the most important step.

Now, to the "thread within the thread". I sat in my room and practiced guitar night after night. After about a year, I was in the car with the wife and kids. Eric Clapton came on the radio. My son says "Hey, that sounds just like Dad".

After re-adjusting my hat size, I relized that I had been practicing to Eric Clapton recordings. When I was playing the "Nobody Knows.." recording (behind closed doors), he probably though it was me playing the guitar. LOL.

I have yet to have anyone watch a televised basketball game and say "That official looks just like time2ref"..........LOL
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Working games alone is not what makes you good or gives you experience.
Old School has posted that he has officiated over 10,000 games in his 16 years.

'Nuff said!
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I have been refereeing since I was 17 years old. Now I'm 28 and I don't think I have mastered refereeing, even though I referee on a professional level in my country.

As many before me said, it is a never ending learning process. As you advance you will discover a new world in every league you set your foot into. It really is like that. Then, as you grow older, you will every now and then feel like something you thought you were doing really well in the past doesn't suit you anymore because your personality changes with time. And the behavioral patterns and solutions we discuss here are not always for everyone .

Regarding rules, this is the easiest part by far. You can master the rules in less then six months. If you can spend as much time as you say on reading the rule book, case book, interpretations, the discussions on this forum, old rules tests, and so on, you will gain excellent rules knowledge pretty soon. Applying the rules in a game situation is different though, because before you can apply a rule you have to be in the right position, see what you are supposed to see, and then make a judgment call. And what you see on the court is rarely as black and white as the text in the rule book.

Mechanics are a bit harder to master. That's because it doesn't help at all if you can recite what's written in the book. You have to get your body to do what you know you should do. And where can you practice this? Yeah right, in games only, there is no computer simulation to replace this experience. So, you either have to referee a lot of games to learn the mechanics quickly, or you can go and watch a lot of games. Another difficulty with mechanics is that it is impossible to write (and find) a book that tells you about the perfect mechanics for every possible situation. So, you will rely on what you hear from more experienced referees and on your own analysis of game situations where you were (not) in great position to make a call, were (un)able to communicate effectively with players/coaches/partners/table, and so on. Still, to master the basics is relatively easy, just referee as much as you can focusing on mechanics first (in scrimmages etc.).

I think that it is a great idea to go to camp after 6 months of refereeing and reading a lot because in camp you will get more and more competent feedback in a couple of days than probably during those 6 months altogether. So, you will be able to put to a test everything you have learned so far. Some things will get approval from observers, others won't. And they will offer you a lot of new stuff, often little things, from the large buffet that is know as officiating ... Go for it, enjoy it!

Last edited by Kostja; Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 10:30am.