The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 03:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

No, not me. I'm referring to Earl Strom. I just read his book again for the umpteenth time. At the end, he lists five qualities he feels makes a good official. They are (in inverse order - and I have paraphrased a little due to space):

5) PROFESSIONALISM - hustle, maintain concentration and above all, get the call right

4) CONTINUITY - keep it moving, don't call ticky-tack fouls, especially at the end of a blowout

3) JUDGMENT - each rule is there for a purpose, know them then use common sense when applying them

2) SELF - believe in your knowledge and your right to be in charge, it's your court and your law, adopt a style that is appropriate to your personality

and most important

1) COURAGE - have the stones to stand in there and make the right call regardless of the amount of heat you will take, be ready to admit a mistake if it happens and correct it if at all possible, be consistent and fair both home and away

Comments?
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Courage. What makes a King out of a slave? Courage.

What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage.

What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist or the dusky dusk?

What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage.

What makes the Sphinx the 7th Wonder? Courage.

What makes the dawn come up like THUNDER?! Courage.

What makes the Hottentot so hot?

What puts the "ape" in ape-ricot?

Whatta they got that I ain't got?

Courage !!

Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 04:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
No, not me. I'm referring to Earl Strom. I just read his book again for the umpteenth time. At the end, he lists five qualities he feels makes a good official. They are (in inverse order - and I have paraphrased a little due to space):

5) PROFESSIONALISM - hustle, maintain concentration and above all, get the call right

4) CONTINUITY - keep it moving, don't call ticky-tack fouls, especially at the end of a blowout

3) JUDGMENT - each rule is there for a purpose, know them then use common sense when applying them

2) SELF - believe in your knowledge and your right to be in charge, it's your court and your law, adopt a style that is appropriate to your personality

and most important

1) COURAGE - have the stones to stand in there and make the right call regardless of the amount of heat you will take, be ready to admit a mistake if it happens and correct it if at all possible, be consistent and fair both home and away

Comments?
I made the mistake of misplacing the Strom book years ago. I got it last month from a used bookstore in hardcover for $4.00. A great read, again, for a number of reasons. Too bad he didn't get to enjoy much of his retirement.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

That sums it all up. can you find that book on amazon?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

What's the title?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
What's the title?
It's called "Calling the Shots: My Five Decades in the NBA." I believe it's out of print, but a quick search on alibris.com turned up a number of copies.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

More praise for Earl Strom's book.

I met him at a high school game in Pottstown, PA. We were there to watch a family friend's son play (he went on to play for Villanova).

I was looking at Earl in the lobby...trying to think how I knew him (not realizing it was from TV) and our friend said, "That's Earl Strom. Wanna meet him?"

He was very nice and gracious to me and my family. I told our then 8 year old, "This is Mr. Strom. He reffed in the NBA." Earl shook my son's hand and said, "Maybe when you get to the NBA I'll come back."

A nice man and great read for anyone who can get it.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
I missed the "cops and donuts" line at the end of your post. Not sure if I should smile or be offended

Really...I'm smiling.

From an admitted, Dunkin' Donuts loving cop. (Referring to the coffee only...uh-huh...right )