The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

How long to master?

Okay it seems we have everyone from babyspanking new to gracefully aging on this forum; how long does it take to master officiating? or do you ever really get there? What are realistic goals to set for one's self regarding knowledge of the rules, mechanics, etc? I know I learn something new everyday on this forum. Is 3 to 6 months realistic to have firm knowledge of the rules? the same for mechanics?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

I've been officiating for 7 years and I learn one thing every game I do. It's a constant learning profession.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Okay it seems we have everyone from babyspanking new to gracefully aging on this forum; how long does it take to master officiating? or do you ever really get there? What are realistic goals to set for one's self regarding knowledge of the rules, mechanics, etc? I know I learn something new everyday on this forum. Is 3 to 6 months realistic to have firm knowledge of the rules? the same for mechanics?
3 to 6 months??? You're joking, right? I played way back in High School. I thought I knew rules. Yea right. So, I became an Official. I am not sure how many classes or the hours of each class, but we read EVERY rule and discussed each rule. Then a few more classes on Mechanics and On Court movement. Now I'm ready! NOT!!!
You need many years of court experience. Read every rule every year. When you are not working, then go watch a good game. Watch the officials.
Talk with officials about strange plays. Ask them what they saw and why they made the call. Group discussions are very healthy.
If you have been reading these posts all season, you will notice that some of these situations stump a lot of officials.
Good Luck
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
If you have been reading these posts all season, you will notice that some of these situations stump a lot of officials.
Good Luck
You are dead on. Those stumps have been great to read! I will be going to camp in three months so I was curious how prepared I would be if I continue to read the books every night, watch games, read this forum and then repeat.... repeat... repeat...
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
You may get a lot of opinions here and each one is going to depend on the individual.

I've done Rec games for several yrs, but just started doing MS, JV, HS games this yr. Like you, I learn something new every game and watch my senior partners closely. My mechanics have gotten a lot better, but my knowledge of the game has a long way to go. Every time I come to this Board, I find out just how much I DON'T know. While I feel 100% better about my game than I did when the season started, until I can feel really confident in my case and rule knowledge and game management, which could be a while, I won't consider myself "there." I worked with an official the other night who managed the game very well. I watched her closely and strive to be as calm, cool, and confident as her. Good luck.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I think I probably speak for most when I say you never really master officiating. It is a lot more than simply knowing rules and mechanics. My feeling is it's a lot like playing an instrument. You or I might be able to play some chords and notes on a guitar, and we might play them using the proper mechanics, but I'll guarantee we won't sound anything like Eric Clapton.

It depends on what level you want to achieve, and how many games you do at that level. Each level is different, so as you move up the ladder you need to master the situations that occur at that level. The only way to do that is work more games. Sure, knowing the rules and mechanics is a very good starting point, but the good officials know how to apply them in the specific situation. I might know how to play an A sharp on a guitar, but only experience and practice can teach me how to play it at different points in the song.

So, practice, practice, practice...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I thought I was a good official earlier than I was a good official. (Does this mean that, in the future, I'll look back on right now and realize that I wasn't a good official right now when I think that I am?) It doesn't take long to master rules and mechanics, if you're diligent about the preparation. It's the other stuff -- working with coaches, game management, handling unusual situations with aplomb -- that takes longer. It only comes with experience. Rather than "years," you might measure your progress in the number of games you've worked.

Anyway, I think I became a really good official about my sixth year. I then spent two years "at the top of my game." Confident, knowledgeable, etc. And I got lazy. I thought I knew the rules cold. But after I reached the top (my top, not THE top!) I didn't stick my nose in the book as often as I previously did. I thought I didn't need to. And I didn't need to ... until it turns out that I did. In my eighth year, I had a couple of experiences which really humbled me and from that point on I've committed to studying as hard now as I did when I was starting. It turns out that it's really helpful!
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
how long does it take to master officiating? or do you ever really get there? What are realistic goals to set for one's self regarding knowledge of the rules, mechanics, etc?
My own opinion is that it takes at least 5 years before you really have a good handle on what you're supposed to be doing. Then it gets harder.

The rules and the game are constantly evolving. As an official, you have to evolve with them. Your evolution only stops if you let it.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

You never master it. Officiating is an evolving process. Every year something changes whether it is rules, philosophy or mechanics. It takes time to master even the most little things and even then you make mistakes.

If you think it takes only a few months, you have a lot more to learn based on some previous posts.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I think I probably speak for most when I say you never really master officiating.
That's because they change the ****ing rules every year!!
Quote:
It is a lot more than simply knowing rules and mechanics. My feeling is it's a lot like playing an instrument. You or I might be able to play some chords and notes on a guitar, and we might play them using the proper mechanics, but I'll guarantee we won't sound anything like Eric Clapton.
Those who are gracefully aging might also think Wes Montgomery or George Benson but we...or they...get the idea. btw, did you know that both Roy Clark and Glenn Campbell were truly great guitarists? it's true, it's true...
Quote:

So, practice, practice, practice...
Sounds like the answer to a riddle you might tell your daughter...
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you think it takes only a few months, you have a lot more to learn based on some previous posts.

Peace
No, I have no rose colored glasses on that. I wanted to know how prepared those in the know would say I would be in three months if I really worked hard. I do not want to waste the instructors or other participants time. If I needed to wait longer and attend other classes then that is what I would do.

Thanks for all the responses guys.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
That's because they change the ****ing rules every year!! Those who are gracefully aging might also think Wes Montgomery or George Benson but we...or they...get the idea. btw, did you know that both Roy Clark and Glenn Campbell were truly great guitarists? it's true, it's true...

Jose Feliciano, Chet Atkins, Andres Segovia...
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's because they change the ****ing rules every year!!
How else can they justify the expense of getting the committee together every year without changing something.

Quote:
Those who are gracefully aging (i.e.:getting old) might also think Wes Montgomery or George Benson but we...or they...get the idea. btw, did you know that both Roy Clark and Glenn Campbell were truly great guitarists? it's true, it's true...
Heck, even Buck Owens was pretty good in his time.
I suppose I could've said B.B. King, or perhaps Segovia. I was going for mainstream...

Quote:
And she's finally understanding that answer.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I have no rose colored glasses on that. I wanted to know how prepared those in the know would say I would be in three months if I really worked hard. I do not want to waste the instructors or other participants time. If I needed to wait longer and attend other classes then that is what I would do.

Thanks for all the responses guys.
Going to camps is a great idea. Just make sure the camp you're looking at caters to your level. If you're just starting out, you don't necessarily want the NBA tryouts. But there are many camps geared towards beginners; that's the place to talk to the instructors and other participants.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Andres Segovia...
Ahh...I knew he must've had a first name.

(Used with permission.)