Damn Scapper,

Where'd you find my yearbook?????
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTops25
How come the above doesn't apply below?;

TOMEGUN: From our JUCO quiz:

A1 ends his dribble and cannot find anyone to whom to pass the ball, so to avert having a five-second closely guarded violation called, A1 intentionally throws the ball against B1. A1 catches the ball and starts another dribble. The official rules this a double dribble. The coach inquires about the call and the official informs the coach that voluntarily throwing the ball against another player is illegal. Is the official correct?

Sounds like the same play? With the obvious exception of the ball hitting the referee rather than a player.
Nope, apples and oranges. Throwing the ball against another player constitutes a loss of player control as per NFHS rule 9-5-3 and case book play 9.5.3. An official is treated the same as being a part of the floor. So......throwing the ball against an official is the same as throwing the ball at the floor--i.e. it's another dribble. See NFHS case book play 9.5. NCAA rules are the same.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 12:05pm.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTops25
How come the above doesn't apply below?;

Sounds like the same play? With the obvious exception of the ball hitting the referee rather than a player.
There is a very large distintion between the referee and a player. The referee is to be considered part of the floor, thus throwing it off of him is no different than a dribble. Another player is just that another player. There are some citations that have been mentioned above that clarify that once you stop a dribble you can't dribble again unless.........one of the unlesses, is that it is touched by another player.

or if you like, what JR said above....his typing skills are evindently somewhat better than mine, or at least quicker LOL
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the response guys.

My thinking, which by rule is wrong, was that there seemed to be no difference. The intent can be absolutely the same, but the outcome obviosly different.