The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 08:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Substitutes

In most situations on our local board, the official who beckons in the substitutes is responsible to make sure that we have the correct number of players on the court, and we hold up our hand until we're satisfied that we have the correct number. When I beckon in substitutes, I don't count five or ten, I say to myself "three in, three out" or "two and one in, two and one out" for players from two teams.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Had a B12 rec league game this weekend where the coach called to his subs to get ready to go in......and they just ran onto the court in the middle of the play. Two of em! Tweet. T! Coach was up by a bunch and we had a good laugh over it.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Exactly. While I am very careful in not putting the ball in play with 6 on the floor, once it happens, it's a T. Period. And the coaches never blame the officials, either -- only the officials blame other officials in this situation.

I will say I've blown it dead after a parter has handed the ball to a player since, well, I had my hand up and my partner chose to ignore me. I wasn't ready, therefore, my partner CAN'T make it live. My hand was up. Tweet.
I was at a Ga. Tech game last year and Higgins started the resumption of play with 6 players on the court - TWICE. No T. Just blew whistle and got the player off the court - BOTH TIMES.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey
I was at a Ga. Tech game last year and Higgins started the resumption of play with 6 players on the court - TWICE. No T. Just blew whistle and got the player off the court - BOTH TIMES.
Would that be Tim or John?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Exactly. While I am very careful in not putting the ball in play with 6 on the floor, once it happens, it's a T. Period. And the coaches never blame the officials, either -- only the officials blame other officials in this situation.

I will say I've blown it dead after a parter has handed the ball to a player since, well, I had my hand up and my partner chose to ignore me. I wasn't ready, therefore, my partner CAN'T make it live. My hand was up. Tweet.
Rich,

I would handle this just like you do. But, just because you have YOUR hand up, does that "prevent" the ball from becoming live? Or, do you just mean that it should not have become live, so no T?

The reason that I ask is that if you have this situation in the shooting of f.throws, then that ruling is not a do over. IOW, your partners CAN cause the ball to become live with or without your approval. Right?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1224hoops
I was in attendance the other night (only watching) a Varsity girls game. In the first quarter the home team made a subsitution. The C blows whistle and bekons player in. Well she obviously forgot to tell the other player that she was out. C point to T and T administers the ball. Ball was in play for maybe 3 seconds. Meanwhile the home coach is screaming at his player. She comes running off just as the ball passes half court. She ran off right in front of the T. Vistiing coach is histerical. T turns and says "I didnt see it." Coach replies "you have to be kidding." Trail T's the visiting coach.

My question is this: How can you overlook something like this? All 3 officials had to see that 6 players were on the court. If they didn't they must have heard the home coach yelling. The result the law abiding vistiors coach gets T'ed. Do you cut a team any slack for having 6 players on the floor? As officials we are supposed to make sure that subs enter and exit the game properly.
I always count players during all dead balls, especially during substitutions. Even if I am the off official. If I am the one administering the throw in, I also count again. There is no excuse to allow this to happen. It a great pregame topic also.