The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Situation:

One out.Bases Loaded.Infield Fly Rule in Effect.Men's SP.

The Batter pops up to 3B.I call infield fly rule.(out 2).The 3B drops the ball(not on purpose,just a bad league). The runner from 3rd sprints home and the runner at second slowfoots it to 3rd.(I guess he doesn't know the rule). The 3B goes and tags 3rd which means nothing since the runners are advancing at their own risk. The SS alertly tells the 3B to tag the runner going to third which he does. I say "Out on the tag" and that the run counted since he made it home before the tag was made. The opposing coach comes out to question the call and I explained to him that since it was not a force play that the run counted even though it was the third out. He still did not understand son I explained to him that if a runner at 3rd scored before a batter-runner got thrown out at 2nd trying to stretch a single to a double,the run would count since the BR had to be tagged out. Was I correct on my call and was that a good way to explain it further? Where is this in the ASA rule book so I can share it at our meeting this weekend? I've looked and looked but cannot find it. I was worried about it a little but since it was a blowout, I had no hard feelings about allowing the run.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

What you have is a simple "Timing Play." You probably explained it good enough for a bad SP league. The coach may not understand what a timing play is but probably the simplest explanation is that the run scores if the 3rd out is not because a runner is "FORCED" to advance.

This same play can happen in many different circumstances.

Runners on 1st, 2nd, 3rd 1 out

Fly ball hit to centerfield.

All runners tag and advance.

Center field throws to 2nd base to get the advancing runner from 1st. Tag on runner going into 2nd for third out.

Runner from 3rd already touches home plate before 3rd out. Run Scores.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
You said "was worried about it a little but since it was a blowout, I had no hard feelings about allowing the run."
Please don't ever feel bad about the correct call, whether runs score or not.

But you might want to feel bad about meetings on weekends.

[Edited by CecilOne on Apr 26th, 2003 at 01:38 PM]
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 06:20am
VaASAump

Yes, you made the right call. As for where in the ASA rule book can you find this, POINTS OF EMHASIS #42 states that "A run will not score if the third out of the inning is a putout at first base (batter-runner) or at another base if a preceding runner is forced because of the batter becoming a batter-runner." Since the batter never became a batter-runner (Infield Fly Rule), the force was removed. As CecilOne stated previously, this now becomes a TIME PLAY.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
... snip ... As CecilOne stated previously, this now becomes a TIME PLAY.
Rick gets the credit for saying it.

In NFHS and NCAA, you don't have to go to POE, because "which removes the force" is in the definition of infield(er) fly. Unfortunately ASA and PONY do not specifically say it in the rules, but any umpire should know that if the batter is out before being a BR (like a strikeout), there is no force.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 04:41pm
VaASAump

Talking

Oops....sorry Rick....didn't mean to take away the credit from you....

CecilOne, don't know if you do alot of ASA or not, but I have found that the NCAA rule book gives better definitions than the ASA book.

I have been coming to this site for quite a while now, but I think this is the first time I actually replied/posted anything on this board.

By the way, how do you make all them cute icons show up on your messages?

Thanks guys,
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
By the way, how do you make all them cute icons show up on your messages?
The "standard" ones are auto-converted by the webboard software. For example ":" + "D" becomes . You can find the list of standard ones by clicking on "faq" at the top of the page and then clicking on "What are Smilies."

If you want "fancier" ones, there are several web sites that have linkable .gif images. For this board, you use the UBB codes to link the images. This site has a bunch more smilies plus other .gif images.