Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I must humbly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yes. Basketball is a game. It has got absolutely nothing to do with education.
I whole heartedly believe that sports are an important part of education for some students...not all, but some....They do provide an opportunity to learn lessons valuable in life. Teamwork, fair play, that actions have consequences. Sometimes the athletics are the only incentive to get Johnny, or Mary to do the school work. It is a sad commentary on the situation but to deny it is true is sticking our heads in the sand....Athletics are not more important that education to the majority of people, they are to a very small portion of the population....However they do in fact lend a valuable hand to education to the vast majority of participants.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Mission Statement

From Jurassic Referee: "Basketball is a game. It has got absolutely nothing to do with education".

Many Forum members officiate games according to NFHS rules. Here is an edited version of the Mission Statement of The NFHS:
- interscholastic activity programs enrich each student's educational experience.
- participation in education-based activity programs promotes student academic achievement.
- interscholastic participation develops good citizenship and healthy lifestyles.
- interscholastic activity programs foster involvement of a diverse population.
- interscholastic activity programs promote positive school/community relations.
- properly trained administrators/coaches/directors promote the educational mission of the interscholastic experience.

In many school districts here in Connecticut, interscholastic sports are no longer referred to as extra-curricular, but instead, are referred to as co-curricular. Here in Connecticut, we have a noted author of a book on children and sports, who refers to interscholastic sports as "the last class of the day".
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

the lessons learned in sports are only as good as the ones doing to coaching IMO. So all the rhetoric doesnt mean crap to me. extra-curricular v. co-curricular -- wow who gives a crapola its all the same to me. If you think a title on the activity defines it then well good for you.

but once again you only learn those lessons if you have a coach who will teach and be a positive role model. And I would say from what I have seen that rate is less than 50%.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Is another paper on some Jane Austen book or a trigonometry test really more important to their education than this?
Yep - I made sure my son took triggernometry in high school because he was the worst shot in the family.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 08:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Jurassic Referee: "Basketball is a game. It has got absolutely nothing to do with education".

Many Forum members officiate games according to NFHS rules. Here is an edited version of the Mission Statement of The NFHS:
- interscholastic activity programs enrich each student's educational experience.
- participation in education-based activity programs promotes student academic achievement.
- interscholastic participation develops good citizenship and healthy lifestyles.
- interscholastic activity programs foster involvement of a diverse population.
- interscholastic activity programs promote positive school/community relations.
- properly trained administrators/coaches/directors promote the educational mission of the interscholastic experience.

In many school districts here in Connecticut, interscholastic sports are no longer referred to as extra-curricular, but instead, are referred to as co-curricular. Here in Connecticut, we have a noted author of a book on children and sports, who refers to interscholastic sports as "the last class of the day".
Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny too?

Let me give you my rebuttal....
From the NFHS Coaches Code Of Ethics:
-The coach.....shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest ideals of character.
- The coach shall master the contest rules and shall teach them to his or her team members.
- The coach shall not seek an advantage by circumvention of the spirit or letter of the rules.
- The coach shall exert his or her influence to enhance sportsmanship by spectators.
- The coach shall respect and support contest officials.
- The coach will not indulge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials.
- Public criticism of of officials or players is unethical.

I hate to have to be the one to break this to you, Billy, but just because somebody writes something down, it doesn't automatically become true.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 08:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

High Ideals

Jurassic Referee:

You're right. Although I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny anymore, I do tend to see the "glass half-full rather than half empty" through my "rose colored glasses". Sorry, that's just me, and my love of interscholastic athletics.

Lets hope that some athletic programs strive to follow the high ideals of both the NFHS Coaches Code Of Ethics and the NFHS Mission Statement.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Jurassic Referee:

You're right. Although I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny anymore, I do tend to see the "glass half-full rather than half empty" through my "rose colored glasses". Sorry, that's just me, and my love of interscholastic athletics.

Lets hope that some athletic programs strive to follow the high ideals of both the NFHS Coaches Code Of Ethics and the NFHS Mission Statement.
Billy, I love the high school game too. As well as the NCAA. I must be a glass half-empty, cynical old goof though. I've had my idealism pounded out of me over the years. Just reading some of the posts on this forum from some of the coaches and fans has a tendency to do that.

Note that I did say "some". There still are great coaches and fans out there who do think like you. Unfortunately, imo they are greatly out-numbered anymore.

If it'll make you feel better.....Faith, trust and pixie dust.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:28am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
What is the purpose of education? To learn how to take tests?

For some of these kids a television appearance may be the highlight of their lives.

Is another paper on some Jane Austen book or a trigonometry test really more important to their education than this?
I'm guessing the mission statements of any high school (or collegiate) athletic department would speak to an affirmative answer to your question.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yes. Basketball is a game. It has got absolutely nothing to do with education.
This may be the most inaccurate thing I've ever read.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Does that include the NFHS Coaches Code Of Ethics too?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you actually think basketball, youth/scholastic sports for that matter, has nothing to do with education?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 02:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The bar for this prize is set unusually high right now due to the recent appearance of a particular "official." It makes your statement one of the most extreme examples of hyperbole I've ever read.

Edited to make the requested change, plus one that the intern didn't catch.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 03:09pm.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The bar for this prize is set unusually high right now do the recent appearance of a particular "official." It makes your statement one of the most extreme examples of hyperbole I've ever read.
due

You're welcome.

Signed,
Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy's Intern

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
due

You're welcome.

Signed,
Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy's Intern
I've made the change, and you missed one.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The bar for this prize is set unusually high right now due to the recent appearance of a particular "official." "official". It makes your statement one of the most extreme examples of hyperbole I've ever read.

Edited to make the requested change, plus one that the intern didn't catch.
Missed 2 actually...

(the man/myth/legend Chuck Elias graces us with a post and see what's become of us??!! )