The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I recently pulled together comparative information on how much high school basketball officials are paid. I've known that in Louisiana, where I'm from, we've been at the low end of the scale. I just didn't realize it was so low.

Here is the link to the data: http://www.rusty1.com/officiating/gamefees.htm

I'd be glad to know if any of the information is incorrect or if you have additional information.

Rusty
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Why are you showing Texas rates with $1000 gate receipts??? During the year receiving pay that includes gate receipts would definitely be the exception.

Where did the Texas information come from?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

The Texas information comes from the UIL 2005-2006 Basketball manual (on p. 10). Here's the pdf link:

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/...reg_season.pdf

For the chart's "example" purpose, assumed 250 paying fans for the doubleheader at $4 each for a total gate receit of $1000.

The links on the web page will take you to the online (or downloadable) documentation where the data came from.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, thanks for the link. Our local information is found at

http://accd.edu/taso/

...click on Game Fees (I provided this link to someone who was trying to track down the information you put together - perhaps it was you? I don't recall.)

I think that, for a valid comparison, the numbers that should be in your chart for Texas are $88 [2-man] and $78 [3-man].

I really don't think gate fees factor in to anyone's pay during the regular season and the numbers you posted from the UIL link are listed under the title of "Maximum Fee Schedule". It also sounds to me like the UIL information is giving a maximum amount of gate fees to be earned, and does not appear to be an effort to state what game fees are paid to the officials. I would have to read the document more carefully, though.

What you have put together shows a fair amount of research, so I am not intending to demean your efforts. Thanks!!

It does appear that LA is sort of low on the pay scale, but [like South Texas] LA is also a bit economically depressed so it is hard to gauge how proportionally disparate the pay really is.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like you have some work to do.

NC is $75, not $70.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Rusty, this topic comes up at least 2 or 3 times every year. Check out the most recent thread: http://officialforum.com/thread/25519
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 07:14pm
Huck Finn

Are all the numbers in the chart for double-headers? If so, why? I know it is not normal for Arizona, Nevada and Maryland to do double-headers. It happens, but it isn't something that an official will do every week, every game. By the way, Maryland officials make between $55-$62 for a varsity game, I think. I don't really pay all that much attention to how much each game is. That might be silly, but I know we aren't the lowest and the money is only about 20% of my reason for doing this in the first place.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Looks like you have some work to do.

NC is $75, not $70.
BBR is correct, but I noticed you have linked to the NCHSAA page, which I guess has incorrect information on it.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 09:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only thing I would add is that it's probably impossible to give a generic number for an entire state. In Iowa, for example, each school and/or conference pay different rates. Normally, the bigger the school, the more they pay; although I did see a couple of small towns just outside of Des Moines pay a bit more for junior high games than the DM schools did; to entice DM refs to drive a bit further for games.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Ohio

Ohio

$50-$60 for Varsity - always a single game.

$30 - $40 for JV
$25 - $25 for Freshman

Freshman and JV are sometimes worked as double headers.