Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco
Thanks.

I understand that slapping the rim is not in and of itself a violation. However, I think that the slapping of the rim was perhaps the manifestation of "excessive/emphatic."

Watch the tape. He grabs the rim, then slaps the rim with an open hand. The way his body was moving, I would have (and I believe the L might have) given him the benefit of the doubt that he was trying to maintain his balance. But the slapping of the rim indicated to me emphatic/excessive.
I was not debating with you what happen on the play. Actually I do not care what he did because I saw the call. He grabbed the rim and was T'd up for it. That is good enough for me. From my point of view you are over thinking this. Hey, this would not be the first time this week for you would it?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
From my point of view you are over thinking this.
Good point. Thanks for the info.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:19pm
Huck Finn

Why are you so worried about "slapping" the rim when the guy grabbed the rim without having the ball to dunk it? That is why he got the T.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Camera Angle

Can someone tell me if the camera angle recently changed? The fact that we couldn't see the team benches during play at Duke seems to be new to me. It's possible that I'm clueless and it's been this way for a while / forever...but it justs seems odd that I couldn't see the team benches and scorer's table as I know I do in other games.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1
Can someone tell me if the camera angle recently changed? The fact that we couldn't see the team benches during play at Duke seems to be new to me. It's possible that I'm clueless and it's been this way for a while / forever...but it justs seems odd that I couldn't see the team benches and scorer's table as I know I do in other games.
Whenever the main camera is bench-side you can't see the benches very well. I do remember watching a game once where the main camera on the other side, but most of the time the main camera is in a postion where's its hard to see the benches.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1
Duke has had their gym set up so the camera nests are on the same side as the bench/scorer's table for years now.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Then it's just me. But would you say in many / most other gyms and games we see on TV it is the other way around? It just looked very odd to me. So I must be used to watching other games where the main camera is set up across from the benches. That is much more interesting to me, as it's possible to see more interaction between officials and benches.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1
Then it's just me. But would you say in many / most other gyms and games we see on TV it is the other way around? It just looked very odd to me. So I must be used to watching other games where the main camera is set up across from the benches. That is much more interesting to me, as it's possible to see more interaction between officials and benches.
Duke has been like that for years. Kansas is another arena that also shows the court from table side. Not sure why this matters to you, but I am sure there are other gyms. Duke is always on TV and I am kind of shocked you just noticed this. I will also assume that this is the case because both arenas are much older than the TV era.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I'm shocked I haven't noticed it before as well. But it doesn't matter to me (I'm not losing sleep over it). I was just curious if it was new. And as I've said, I like the other view better as far as watching interactions with the bench. At least I was smart enough to know where to find the answer to my question.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:09pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1
To be perfectly honest, I DO NOT want to see the interactions between the coaches and the officials in most of these "big" games...the majority of the time the bench decorum guidelines are not followed and the game - at least in my opinion - becomes ridiculous because the coaches are allowed to rant and rave like lunatics...not really something I want to see. So at least when the cameras don't show the coaches I can enjoy watching the game...
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Time for the NFL camera over top of the court on a string!
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Why are you so worried about "slapping" the rim when the guy grabbed the rim without having the ball to dunk it? That is why he got the T.
He was attempting to rebound the ball and dunk it in the same motion. A Duke player went up at the same time and knocked the ball away. The NC player did not hang on the rim, nor did he slap the rim in an attempt to show off or taunt. Why in the world is the Lead calling this anyway? Where are the Trail and Center on this call? IMO, that game was way more physical than the amount of fouls called.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleone
He was attempting to rebound the ball and dunk it in the same motion. A Duke player went up at the same time and knocked the ball away. The NC player did not hang on the rim, nor did he slap the rim in an attempt to show off or taunt. Why in the world is the Lead calling this anyway? Where are the Trail and Center on this call? IMO, that game was way more physical than the amount of fouls called.
Just so you know the rule has little to do with showing off. The rule does not allow for a player to grab the rim unnecessarily. And the lead official has the best angle to know if someone is under the player the basket and if the player might feel threatened. Usually we give the player the benefit of the doubt, but the rule is clear. The only time a player can grab onto the rim under NCAA rules is when they are fouled.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe no one recognized that the third official was Gary Maxwell, the alternate for the NCAA Championship game last year. Which will probably put him in on the Championship game next year.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I can't believe no one recognized that the third official was Gary Maxwell, the alternate for the NCAA Championship game last year. Which will probably put him in on the Championship game next year.
Not everyone knows these officials by names unless they are in your market.

Also being an alternate does not mean you will work Championship the final game. All it means is they were asked to be the alternate if something happens. Also being an alternate from my understanding usually means you did not work any of the other Final Four games. For all we know he might not get close to that this year based on a bunch of factors that any of us know about.

Peace