The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

hey guys

i'm 23 so automatically i'm in fairly good shape, but i love to golf and i'm afraid my legs might be more used to walking then running. any suggestions as to what you guys do for running or exercising to keep in officiation shape?

thanks

jeremy
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy40
hey guys

i'm 23 so automatically i'm in fairly good shape, but i love to golf and i'm afraid my legs might be more used to walking then running. any suggestions as to what you guys do for running or exercising to keep in officiation shape?

thanks

jeremy
Not to be a sarcastic, but start running...

Denny
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
hey guys

jeremy
I am 53 and I am in so-so shape. I have started to do a lot wind sprints of 30 yards or so during by lunch hour. I am also doing a lot of stretching work on the legs.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
You may be 23 and in good shape. Be greatful and do some running. Wind sprints are great but for us older guys to just go out and do wind sprints may cause injury. Start gradual. Jog a mile or so before you do your windsprints. 30 yards is plenty since that is the most we will have to do in a game (94 feet = 31 yds). I wouldn't do full speed, but 90%. good luck. Enjoy the season. Next year start your offseason conditioning in March. You'll feel a lot better about yourself. I know I already do this year.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Talking Permanent L

Tim,

You run from baseline to baseline? WOW!!!
Will you be my partner next week? I'll be glad to work the T all night and leave the L to you.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Scrimmages Are Good For Conditioning

Thought about volunteering to work a few pre-season scrimmages? They're ususally game-like conditions, and most coaches appreciate officials who work them. Contact your assigner... he or she will know what scrimmages are available.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

The other night at a scrimmage, I was just standing there watching some of the older guys work a Varsity game. (I had just got done doing a JV scrimmage.)

And one of the guys was so out of shape that he asked me to fill in! So I got to work a really great Varsity scrimmage and I got recognized by some of the other officals and some of the coaches. Needless to say, I was in shape.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 11:00am
9 times

Quote:
hey guys

i'm 23 so automatically i'm in fairly good shape

jeremy
I know lots of 23 yr olds who don't fit this bill, it is not automatic.

Start running.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sat Nov 10, 2001, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Re: Permanent L

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Tim,

You run from baseline to baseline? WOW!!!
Will you be my partner next week? I'll be glad to work the T all night and leave the L to you.
Sure, As long as you promise to be the L for the second half.:-) I don't know about you but I have run 90 feet to help a partner out on a fast break if you want to count the six to ten feet behind the baseline I was when the fast break started.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Thumbs up Time To Get In Shape

I am in a aerobics program that meets twice a week from October to June. Then in the summer months here in New York City I continue to officiate basketball games in the summer leagues and that helps to keep me fit,due to the fact that you will get a "good sweat" officiating outdoors in the summer heat.Then I attend at least three officiating camps during the summer,with this program it helps me stay in shape all year round.