The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 06:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

I hope you guys will indulge me just a little so I can brag about my son, Josh. He turned 21 this summer and has been reffing rec leagues since he was 13. A few weeks ago, Howard Mayo, the commissioner of Portland Basketball Officials Assn. (PBOA) and a former long-time NF rules committee member called Josh and personally invited him to join PBOA.

Josh went to his first meeting two weeks ago and was placed in their "3rd year" class. This is fairly unusual for a new, young official.

Today he called me and said he received his first month's schedule. He has 4 freshman games. You can bet I'll be attending at least the first one. He hopes this is his launch to a great career.

He asked me for advice. I told him to maintain his composure, take time making his calls and treat all coaches like the howler monkeys they are.

He said he would. Good boy.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Sweet 16 in 5 years? Final 4 in 8? Congrats!
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

congrats to Josh

Mark-
Just thought I'd offer my ear to Josh...I am a 20 year old college student, have been doing high school games for 3 years now in Los Angeles, and love it-have yet to get a boys varsity game though...If he has any questions on anything related to his sitch (how coaches deal w/ young refs, etc.) have him drop me a line.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2001, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Congratulations.
I would only add that being a younger official, he may be preceived to inexperienced and coaches may try to work him. Remind him not only to be confident, but be EXTRA respectful(or obivious) to his "elders". The respect he conveys will show the coaches right away that he's not a hard *** and he is a professional. I'm not telling him to take a bunch of stuff and just say "yes sir/ma'am" all time. During the intro's ... he can lay the ground work. Blow the whistle loud! Good luck.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 04:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thanks for all the good advice. Josh has an advantage over most other new refs as he is fairly well-known already by a lot of the HS coaches. This is because of a couple of things. He has played for many years and has officiated in tons of rec leagues where the games are watched by the HS refs. Also - most of them know he is my son (I don't know if that's good or bad ).

He also knows a lot of the more experienced refs because he has worked with them in rec ball for 3 or 4 years. I think that experienced refs who wind up working with new guys feel more comfortable working with someone with whom they are familiar.

He's been to a few clinics and he has reffed with me for 8 years in rec. There have been a couple of times I have intentionally "stood back" and let him handle his own situations. Almost without exception, he has acted in a very responsible and mature manner.

However, there was one time a few years ago when he was making a hand gesture to me to indicate we were in the last minute of play and an assistant coach thought Josh was "flipping him off". The assistant (this was an 8th grade boys rec game and the assistant was about 22 years old) ran out onto the court during play and tried to punch my son!

Josh (who was 14 at the time) just took off and ran behind me. Not exactly a shining moment in courage, but the other guy was much bigger. I restrained the guy and, you guessed it, he was suspended forever from our league.

Other than that, he's done pretty well BTW - his idol (besides me, of course) is Earl Strom. We have Earl's book and Josh can quote passages from it.