LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

1st Round of the Boys Sectionals

106-97 in 4 Overtimes!!!

Just un-frickin'-believable!

Shot after pressure shot hit!

End of the 3rd OT, home team is down 3 with 9 seconds left. They inbound the ball, get it to halfcourt and burn a TO with 6 seconds left. Inbounds play, kid throws up a prayer from the corner and swishes the net to tie the game at 87 and force a 4th OT.

Finally, visitors make their FTs in the 4th and we finish 2 hours and 15 minutes after we tipped off.

What a game!

PS - And some of these knucklehead coaches think we do this for the $$$.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up This is what it is all about!

You can feel the adrenelin of this game from your post.

Had to be an AWESOME experience to be a part of!...

Thanks for sharing!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 09:10am
BBallCoach

Sounds like a great game! But what did you have to do with it that made it such a memorable game? Did you hit those big shots? Did you design those plays the coaches drew up under pressure? Will you be remembered and talked about in the paper today for your officiating? The answer to all of these is no. If as officials you feel the best job you do is when no one notices you there, then that should be your goal. Because when the games are all done, people will remember the players, the games, and the coaches but the officials will not be remembered. I'm not trying to sound rude, but that is the way it is. I've seen in many papers across this nation all state teams, coaches of the years, but have yet to see awards given to officials in a major newspaper. But hey congrats on watching a great game played well by players and coached well by coaches
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 09:28am
In Memoriam

Yo, moderators. Isn't it time to get rid of this troll? He adds zip to this forum.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Sounds like a great game! But what did you have to do with it that made it such a memorable game?... But hey congrats on watching a great game played well by players and coached well by coaches
If the referees just "watched" the game, it certainly would have been memorable, dismally memorable. They aren't there to be noticed and get their name in the paper the next day (sounds like some coaches' motivation). They are there to enforce rules so that no team gains an unfair advantage, to insure safety and sportsmanship, and to administer the game so it can be played fairly and coached in a civil manner.

The icing on the cake (especially for a ref) is actually ENJOYING this, and a close, exciting game like this one is a game to remember. Like it or not, BBallCoach, you NEED us refs so you players and coaches can make the headlines in the morning's Local Gazette.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

106-97 in 4 Overtimes!!!

End of the 3rd OT, home team is down 3 with 9 seconds left. They inbound the ball, get it to halfcourt and burn a TO with 6 seconds left. Inbounds play, kid throws up a prayer from the corner and swishes the net to tie the game at 87 and force a 4th OT.

Finally, visitors make their FTs in the 4th and we finish 2 hours and 15 minutes after we tipped off.

What a game!

Sounds great Tony! It is a rush to be out there for something like that and I'm sure you did a great job. Also a big WOW to the winning team's 19 points in the 4th 4-minute OT. I'm assuming a lot of those were from free throws late. Still that's high number in only 4 minutes.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Hey BBallCoach

I'm a coach and I come to this board to get meaningful information and insights. After several posts from you, I'm still waiting for a shred of meaningful information or insight you might provide. To date, your posts have been nothing more than rhetorically charged insults thinly veiled in a series of alleged questions in your supposed search for knowledge.

They say you can judge a man's intelligence by the questions he asks. So far, I'm not impressed. This is narcissism at its worst.

Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:38am
BBallCoach

After relooking at my remarks, they do seem a bit harsh I must admit. The goal of my post was not to be rude or insulting to any official it was just to make a simple point. Great games have great players, coaches and fans. That is what the game of basketball is all about the fans and the players. They are the ones that will remember the moments for years to come and will be recognized for their achievements. I will be the first one to admit that most great games come from great players not great coaches Hopefully this clears up my remarks. Hope you all have a great day
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down State Final Coach??

Quote:
After relooking at my remarks, they do seem a bit harsh I must admit. The goal of my post was not to be rude or insulting to any official it was just to make a simple point. Great games have great players, coaches and fans. That is what the game of basketball is all about the fans and the players. They are the ones that will remember the moments for years to come and will be recognized for their achievements. I will be the first one to admit that most great games come from great players not great coaches Hopefully this clears up my remarks. Hope you all have a great day
It just shows you have never won a State Title. Because if the officials ever did the game good or bad, the officials are remembered by the coaches and officials across the state. They are in my state. Because it adds credibility to those officials that they have earned that opportunity. And yes, those that are in the playoffs also get a certain level of respect. Because when a respected official is working their games, the respect that they give you is quite different.

The thing you really have no clue about, is that officials like to work good games. Tony is not telling us this story to be remembered, he is telling us this story because the game was fun and the fact that it was a playoff game raises his excitement. Not all of us get playoff assignments and these games have a another level of excitement added to them. Someone goes home and someone moves on. That in itself is an added responsiblity. And usually these games can be intense and exciting. But I can tell you have not done much as a coach, because that would be obvious to you.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

106-97 in 4 Overtimes!!!

What a game!

Sounds like poor officiating to me....since we all know that overtime is NEVER allowed!

Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Somebody needs to get rid of this a$$hole.

Quote:
Sounds like a great game! But what did you have to do with it that made it such a memorable game? Did you hit those big shots? Did you design those plays the coaches drew up under pressure? Will you be remembered and talked about in the paper today for your officiating? The answer to all of these is no. If as officials you feel the best job you do is when no one notices you there, then that should be your goal. Because when the games are all done, people will remember the players, the games, and the coaches but the officials will not be remembered. I'm not trying to sound rude, but that is the way it is. I've seen in many papers across this nation all state teams, coaches of the years, but have yet to see awards given to officials in a major newspaper. But hey congrats on watching a great game played well by players and coached well by coaches
What are you babbling about?

Is my post not a credit to the players and coaches who participated in the game?

Did I make any remarks about any of the calls I made in the game?

Where did I say that I wanted to be remembered?

Where did I say that I made it memorable?

Where did I say that I wanted to be read about in the paper?

BTW, I didn't watch the game. I officiated. And I enjoyed doing that. That's all I need. I don't need to be remembered, I don't try to make the game memorable and I have no desire to be read about in the paper.

Quote:
Great games have great players, coaches and fans.
Whether you like it or not, you left out an important part of the equation, the officials. If the officials don't also do a great job, you WILL NOT have a great game. That doesn't mean we have to be noticed, remembered, or acknowledged. Although SOME coaches have to have this recognition, MOST officials do not.

BTW, thanks to PGCougar for posting a REAL coach's point of view.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 25th, 2004 at 02:04 PM]
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: State Final Coach??

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
The thing you really have no clue about, is that officials like to work good games. Tony is not telling us this story to be remembered, he is telling us this story because the game was fun and the fact that it was a playoff game raises his excitement. Not all of us get playoff assignments and these games have a another level of excitement added to them. Someone goes home and someone moves on. That in itself is an added responsiblity. And usually these games can be intense and exciting. But I can tell you have not done much as a coach, because that would be obvious to you.
Very true. During a FT in the 3rd OT, the visiting coach asks me, "Isn't this great? Have you ever been in a 3 OT game? I haven't." I said "Yes, but never when someone was going home when it was ever." Just two people, enjoying the moment, each knowing that it was something that he would never forget. Of course, neither of us knew that another OT lay ahead.

Hey Big Whistle, I'm proud to say that the 3 of us never stoipped officiating. Each team had numerous opportunities to win the game at the line with seconds remaining, until the visitors finally did. We DID NOT swallow our whistles.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Right call

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Yo, moderators. Isn't it time to get rid of this troll? He adds zip to this forum.

I second the motion. What do we have to do to get it passed? Everything this person submits is inflammatory. Then, it tries to sugarcoat everything with half-a$$ apologies. Cmon, do us all a favor-do this.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

originally posted by bigwhistle

Sounds like poor officiating to me....since we all know that overtime is NEVER allowed!

Check out this game, SIX Overtimes

You can find it on our web site:

http://www.board41.org/otgame.htm
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 09:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The longer he talks, the farther his foot goes down his throat. I can't really figure out how to get rid of someone -- I think that only the owner can do that.